[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

is there a way of using waterfall jet engine plumes with resock? im currently running both waterfall restock and real plume so my jet engines and SRB are realplume. I dont mind the SRBs but jet engine plumes look really cool with waterfall! How can i run make jets use waterfall?

Also instead of the smoke of the engines can you add fire textures at the end? I love what realplume has done with the flame effect. and since i have both mods installed i get some engines to have both the plumes! It looks good in atmosphere but in vacuum waterfall definitely wins. So just add flame particle effect at the end of the plume trail that disappears as we go higher and leave the regular vacuum waterfall plume.

4 hours ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

is there a way of using waterfall jet engine plumes with resock? im currently running both waterfall restock and real plume so my jet engines and SRB are realplume. I dont mind the SRBs but jet engine plumes look really cool with waterfall! How can i run make jets use waterfall?

Also instead of the smoke of the engines can you add fire textures at the end? I love what realplume has done with the flame effect. and since i have both mods installed i get some engines to have both the plumes! It looks good in atmosphere but in vacuum waterfall definitely wins. So just add flame particle effect at the end of the plume trail that disappears as we go higher and leave the regular vacuum waterfall plume.

StockWaterfallEffects has some plumes for the jet engines, and I believe your second thing would be a configuration issue. You can probably set up a config that uses both RealPlume and Waterfall, using some particles from RealPlume in addition to Waterfall in-atmo and making the particles get less and less frequent higher in the atmosphere. Nobody’s done it yet as far as I know, though. Good luck! 

3 hours ago, Max von Kerman said:

btw can i force ckan to install?

Yes. And I can confirm it is working on KSP 1.12.0, and none of my tests presented any problems (at least, until now! :P)

Spoiler

In time, if you use TweakScale and are adventurous, there's a Companion for it (currently in Alpha).

3 hours ago, Max von Kerman said:

but it said the module manager is not compatible :(

it is. The CKAN's metadata was not updated yet, but I can tell you  MM 4.1.4 works on KSP 1.12.0.

On 6/27/2021 at 10:51 PM, RyanRising said:

StockWaterfallEffects has some plumes for the jet engines, and I believe your second thing would be a configuration issue. You can probably set up a config that uses both RealPlume and Waterfall, using some particles from RealPlume in addition to Waterfall in-atmo and making the particles get less and less frequent higher in the atmosphere. Nobody’s done it yet as far as I know, though. Good luck! 

So first do i have to use restock waterfall configs and stock waterfall configs to get the jet plumes?

And second well... How do i do that?

11 minutes ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

So first do i have to use restock waterfall configs and stock waterfall configs to get the jet plumes?

And second well... How do i do that?

To get the jet engine plumes, just installing StockWaterfallEffects and deleting everything but what’s needed by the jet plumes should do the trick. How to get that other effect, though, I haven’t a clue how you’d go about making that.

Edited by RyanRising

• 3 weeks later...

Having issues with the Twin Boar from Restock. Plumes just don't appear, and neither do the heat effects. Any idea what could be causing this?

Edit, reinstalling restock fixed the issue.

Edited by alberro+

Okay. I'm simply blown away. I had seen snippets of this but in early development. I jumped on board now....... Holy excrements this is incredible. The LIGHTS, my god, the LIGHTS can have spots.. I won't rant on but if anyone is on the fence, don't delay, this IMO will go down as a staple mod, I'm in love.

Edited by ElonsMusk

Trying to create configs for KWRocketry. Tried following the documentation, and got to the effects part in the in-game editor, but when I try to add an effect, nothing happens.

New to this kind of modding, so probably some noob mistake, but if you have any idea what's wrong, please help!

https://imgur.com/0cxfrb5

9 hours ago, AlmightyR said:

Trying to create configs for KWRocketry. Tried following the documentation, and got to the effects part in the in-game editor, but when I try to add an effect, nothing happens.

New to this kind of modding, so probably some noob mistake, but if you have any idea what's wrong, please help!

https://imgur.com/0cxfrb5

You need to give the name of the transform to which the effect will be attached.  Under the effect name field there is a field for "Effect Parent", I believe it's called.  You will need to place the name of the transform here; a lot of engines use "thrustTransform" so you can use that as the effect parent.

39 minutes ago, AlmightyR said:

Just for future reference, how do I find out the name of the transform (ie when it's not that)?

If you look at the engine's CFG file look for the "thrustVectorTransformName" in the ModuleEngines or ModuleEnginesFX module.  Sorry, should have mentioned that before.

On 8/14/2020 at 5:01 PM, DylanSemrau said:

there can be pre-made templates that can be easily applied to engines via patch

They are not working for me. I looked at a few other posts, and some mentioned to install other mods like RealPlume, but when I download them, drop them into the "Game Data" file, nothing happens. Could you tell me how to get it working? 

Also, when i click on the Waterfall icon, it says something along the lines of, I need to use a config or something?? Does this ring any bells for you?

Let me know if you can help, and if not, have any ideas of where else I can look for help?

Thanks!!!!

-Lucas

6 hours ago, Lucas_R said:

They are not working for me. I looked at a few other posts, and some mentioned to install other mods like RealPlume, but when I download them, drop them into the "Game Data" file, nothing happens. Could you tell me how to get it working? 

Also, when i click on the Waterfall icon, it says something along the lines of, I need to use a config or something?? Does this ring any bells for you?

Let me know if you can help, and if not, have any ideas of where else I can look for help?

Thanks!!!!

-Lucas

Do you have ModuleManager *.*.* installed ? if so you might have put them in the wrong place or using a mod there is no patch made for them

I think that I have the module manager required, but I am not sure what you mean by "mod there is no patch made for it". Could you explain more?

Maybe if you tell me what you did to get it working, I could try that.

2 hours ago, Lucas_R said:

I think that I have the module manager required, but I am not sure what you mean by "mod there is no patch made for it". Could you explain more?

Maybe if you tell me what you did to get it working, I could try that.

What engines are you using? Mecripp was saying you may be using engines that haven’t been patched to use Waterfall. Some part mods will include their own patches, some will not. Patches, in this context, are modifications to existing things in KSP. ModuleManager is the thing that handles them, and they come in the form of .cfg files. In this case, the patches delete the particles and sound coming from an engine in KSP and add new sounds and the Waterfall plumes to them. 

If you’re just using the stock engines, the patches you want will need to be downloaded separately from Waterfall. That’s StockWaterfallEffects if you don’t have Restock installed and WaterfallRestock if you do. They’re available from links at the bottom of the first post of this thread.

Edited by RyanRising