[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

13 hours ago, Mr.dobsonian said:

Yeah restock as a sort of plume that looks like fire, different style to waterfall. That's why I was wondering if waterfall would overwrite those plumes as I imagine it wouldn't look too great if both were there at once.

The WaterfallRestock package removes those plumes, which are built on the stock effects system.

4 hours ago, ROCKETGOOSE said:

I'm planning to release a pack of configs for the karbonite engines. So far I've made templates for the fusion and torch drive engines. I've taken some artistic liberty, since they're the end game magic engines, so I'd love some feedback on these. 

https://imgur.com/a/0FcBNhS

Looks pretty cool!

5 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

hmm is there something you need to do to activate it? i got the waterfall effects to work but didn't see the launch pad or rocket light up

nope, should just work, if the plume templates you're using have lighting effects included (I know the waterfallrestock ones do)

5 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

hmm is there something you need to do to activate it? i got the waterfall effects to work but didn't see the launch pad or rocket light up

9 minutes ago, EnderKid2 said:

nope, should just work, if the plume templates you're using have lighting effects included (I know the waterfallrestock ones do)

my configs also have engine lighting by the way.
but there is a config file where you can enable or disable the lights. perhaps that's your issue?

I've made some configs for the karbonite engines. Using some templates I made and some from stock waterfall effects.

If you'd like to try them out here's the github link https://github.com/RocketGoose/Karbonite-Waterfall-Effects/releases/tag/0.1.0

I'm going to make a new forum thread for this, but I'm new to releasing KSP mods and using github. Any general pointers/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by ROCKETGOOSE

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 11:28 PM, ROCKETGOOSE said:

I'm going to make a new forum thread for this, but I'm new to releasing KSP mods and using github. Any general pointers/tips would be greatly appreciated!

awesome!
It'd be nice if you made a forum page where you show a couple spoilers for how the plumes look. otherwise people don't know if they'll want the mod or not.
and of course mention required mods, compatibility etc.
You could also think about asking the ckan people to add it to their list.

Edited by Knight of St John

17 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

At the moment, RealPlume is the way to go for SRBs

As far as I understood our eye-candy designer and waterfall-artist @Knight of St John's post somewhere above, he might be looking into it, as there seems to be a way to combine them with the stock smoketrail (as Nertea's waterfall configs in the cryo engines mod do). Maybe we should just wait a little longer. Maybe Knight comes up with a nice suprise for us, by giving us waterfallized SRB plumes that match to the wonderfull LF-Plumes. We might juat wait and see... and ask politely. :D very politely

Here's a preview of something I've been working on for waterfall.
It's a volumetric-looking shader with settings for shock cone generation. It should really cut down on the work needed to do for designing these kinds of plumes, and perhaps also cut down on a lot of waterfall overhead CPU time.

P00fPjB.gif

Edited by Knight of St John

54 minutes ago, Knight of St John said:

Here's a preview of something I've been working on for waterfall.
It's a volumetric-looking shader with settings for shock cone generation. It should really cut down on the work needed to do for designing these kinds of plumes, and perhaps also cut down on a lot of waterfall overhead CPU time.

P00fPjB.gif

Does it match real life physics that the exhaust stream has these pinched diameters in regular distances? I am no expert on fluid mechanics. What's causing these?

Edited by Rakete

28 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Ah thanks... did know about these standing wave patterns. I am really courious how it will look, when finished.

Thank you for the wiki article. Now I've got something to read this evening/night :cool:

Edited by Rakete

waterfall doesn't seem to work for me. I've tried everything, but when I test the engine plume effect, the editor says "couldn't find any effect modules on this craft, add modules via config before using this editor.." I don't know what this means at all. sometimes the mod completely craps out and there's no plume, sound, and the editor says absolutely nothing. I can tell I'm doing something wrong but I have no clue what it is.. can anyone help?