[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

13 minutes ago, Nertea said:

You need to enable the editor in the settings file. It's possible CKAN overrode changes to it. 

Yes, since WaterfallSettings.cfg is included in the download, it will be overwritten on upgrade.

Will the mod work (i.e., auto-generate the default settings) if we filter that file out of installation?

On 12/17/2021 at 2:33 AM, RyanRising said:

For someone not well versed in shaders, what does it mean that the additive blend mode is One One?

the blend mode tells you how the colors of the plume are mixed with the background. one one means they both contribute equally to the final pixel color.
Previously this wasnt one one because that might create problems with oversaturation. but we found this problem didnt occur that frequently.
also: not having one one blending meant that you sometimes get some brightness flickering artifacts in the plumes. this has now been fixed.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:35 PM, seaces said:

Hi @Nertea,

So I was using this mod since at least v0.7.0 and at that time I had editor button visible in KSP in line with screenshots from your first post. After I updated the mod via CKAN to v0.7.1 I lost that button. Any idea why?

I'm in the same situation.

Edited by zrh114311

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 9:12 AM, HebaruSan said:

Yes, since WaterfallSettings.cfg is included in the download, it will be overwritten on upgrade.

Will the mod work (i.e., auto-generate the default settings) if we filter that file out of installation?

I don't want to do this at the moment but it's something I've considered for the future.

I'm loving the visual and audio improvements, but there is a small but anoying bug that's driving me nuts.

The Communitron 88-88's default state appears to be deployed, even though it is in actuality retracted. So this "deployment" is visual only, and it's non-visual behavior is still as expected. The only way to make the antenna apear retracted is to extend the antenna and retract it again, though the deployed apearance will revert when the vessel is reloaded. This effect is noticable in both editor and in flight. And it also appears deployed in the parts window, though all other antennas apear retracted.

NW4oLKF.png

MhxUafB.png

2 hours ago, Rethkir said:

I'm loving the visual and audio improvements, but there is a small but anoying bug that's driving me nuts.

The Communitron 88-88's default state appears to be deployed, even though it is in actuality retracted. So this "deployment" is visual only, and it's non-visual behavior is still as expected. The only way to make the antenna apear retracted is to extend the antenna and retract it again, though the deployed apearance will revert when the vessel is reloaded. This effect is noticable in both editor and in flight. And it also appears deployed in the parts window, though all other antennas apear retracted.

NW4oLKF.png

MhxUafB.png

This is a ReStock bug, might be better to ask over in the correct thread.

Hi Nertea, is there a way you can have a setting in the plume parts to toggle the backface view?
At certain angles the texture becomes really visible. This is a volumetric plume I'm showing here.

unknown.png

And here's the side view:
unknown.png

Anyways, having a ton of fun with WF making plumes for my Superheavy :D
35j2e6f5_12e6f.gif

On 1/8/2022 at 8:14 PM, EritoKaio said:

At certain angles the texture becomes really visible. This is a volumetric plume I'm showing here.

Hey. I'm wrote the volumetric shader for waterfall. I've already fixed this bug for the dev-version of waterfall. expect this to be released in the next update. 
There will be some changes to the shader too. for instance the _Noise property will become 5x more sensitive and you might need to recheck if your _FadeOut and color settings are still okay.
I will explain this in more detail when it's released, so you have an easier time to readjust your configs.

5 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

Hey. I'm wrote the volumetric shader for waterfall. I've already fixed this bug for the dev-version of waterfall. expect this to be released in the next update. 
There will be some changes to the shader too. for instance the _Noise property will become 5x more sensitive and you might need to recheck if your _FadeOut and color settings are still okay.
I will explain this in more detail when it's released, so you have an easier time to readjust your configs.

Awesome! In that case I will hold off the plume for a little longer while I finish modeling the booster. Thank you!

Hello! I'm playing with this mod, and even if I already love it, I'm wondering if plumes are rendering in my game _too "wide"_ or if it's intended.

I'm attaching some screenshot in order to explain better my situation, and logs.
Are the plumes rendering correctly or is there a misconfiguration in my setup?

screenshot29.png

screenshot34.png

I'm using Waterfall, WaterfallRestock and Restock all installed with CKAN on KSP 1.12.3, modlist:

Spoiler

Antenna Helper (AntennaHelper 2:1.0.7.5)
Astrogator (Astrogator v0.10.2)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.19.0)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
BonVoyage (BonVoyage 1:1.4.0)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.17)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit v5.2.0.0)
Community Delta-V Maps (CommunityDeltaVMaps 2:2.8)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.4.2)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.30.5)
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations Reborn (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 2:3.7.3)
Deployable Engines Plugin (DeployableEngines 1.3.1)
Distant Object Enhancement /L (DistantObject v2.1.1.6)
Distant Object Enhancement /L default config (DistantObject-default v2.1.1.6)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.10.0.0)
Dynamic Battery Storage (DynamicBatteryStorage 2:2.2.5.0)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.3)
Extra Docking Ports (ExtraDockingPorts v1.2.0)
Extraplanetary Launchpads (ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads 6.99.0.0)
Final Frontier (FinalFrontier 1.10.0-3485)
Harmony 2 (Harmony2 2.0.4.0)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.13.0.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.10)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.29)
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems (KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems v1.6.14)
Kerbalism (Kerbalism 3.14)
KSP Community Fixes (KSPCommunityFixes 1.6.1)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.12.1)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.12.3.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.1)
Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 1.3.1)
Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 1.2.3)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 1.2.3)
Near Future Exploration (NearFutureExploration 1.1.2)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 1:0.7.1)
Near Future Launch Vehicles (NearFutureLaunchVehicles 2.2.0)
Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 1.3.5)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 1.3.2)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 1.3.2)
Near Future Spacecraft (NearFutureSpacecraft 1.4.3)
Near Future Spacecraft - LFO Engines (NearFutureSpacecraft-OrbitalLFOEngines 1.4.3)
Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 18.0)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.31.5)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.31.5)
ReStock (ReStock 1.4.2)
ReStock+ (ReStockPlus 1.4.2)
SCANsat (SCANsat v20.4)
SIMPLEX Assembly (SIMPLEXAssembly 1.0)
SIMPLEX Kerbalism (SIMPLEXKerbalism 2:3.6)
Smart Docking Aid (SmartDockingAid v1.1.0)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.8.4)
StageRecovery (StageRecovery 1.9.5.4)
Stockalike Mining Extension (StockalikeMiningExtension 1.1.6)
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux (StationPartsExpansionRedux 2.0.5)
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux - Internal Spaces (StationPartsExpansionRedux-IVAs 2.0.5)
TETRIX TechTree (TETRIXTechTree 4:2.16)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v4.5.2)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.6)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.4.3)
TUFX (TUFX 1.0.2.3)
Waterfall - Restock (WaterfallRestock 0.2.3)
Waterfall Core (Waterfall 0.7.1)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.8.3.3)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.2.4)

Logs: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqQ0YW9so_5OgQ9JSqfUfLhv-47E?e=nIZP6P

Thank you for your support, and thank you Nertea for all your majestic mods!

Waterfall 0.8.0 is up

• Significant rewrite of controller and controller UI code. This resulted in a change to how generated configs look, but existing configs should work fine (thanks ArXen42 for all the hard work for this)
  • Improvements to UX for controller selection and configuration
  • Added an error notification when you try to add an effect with an invalid effect parent
  • Some refactoring of UI code in various areas
  • Redid color picker for significantly better UX
  • Added the ability to save (within a game session) color swatches to copy/paste between effects and materials
  • Shader bundles can now be loaded from anywhere in gamedata (anything with a .waterfallshaders extension)
  • Shader bundles are loaded alphabetically and replace existing shaders in the order loaded. e.g if xyz.waterfallshaders contains a shader with the same name as abc.waterfallshaders, the one from xyz.waterfallshaders will be used
  • Shader improvements
    • Additive (Volumetric) shader:
      • fixed excessive noise bug
      • the _Noise setting is now 5 times more sensitive (divide your old _Noise setting by 5 to get previous behavior)
      • you may need to slightly increase your _FadeOut setting if your old setting was below 0.5
      • start and end tints will no longer depend on Fresnel or InvertedFresnel settings (so your old color gradient may need some readjustments)
      • added FresnelFadeIn setting so you can gradually fade in the Fresnel effect starting from the nozzle exit.
    • Echo (Dynamic) shader:
      • echo spacing (_EchoLength) setting will now properly scale with the mesh scale
      • new _ExpandLength setting stretches the individual echos

3 hours ago, SilverlightPony said:

Suggestion/request:  Y'know how RealPlume adds the line "Plume configured by RealPlume" to the description on every part it affects?  It'd be nice if Waterfall did something similar.

Ironically I got a PR to remove this from RealPlume because some people find it jarring especially those on other languages. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Ironically I got a PR to remove this from RealPlume because some people find it jarring especially those on other languages. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Make it an option, then--switchable either via a config edit or an in-game thing.  I'd just really like a way to tell which engines have Waterfall configs and which ones don't while still in the VAB/SPH.

49 minutes ago, SilverlightPony said:

Make it an option, then--switchable either via a config edit or an in-game thing.  I'd just really like a way to tell which engines have Waterfall configs and which ones don't while still in the VAB/SPH.

It would be nice to see that, i agree.  Assuming that waterfall uses a new module, it would be pretty simple to make a MM patch that appends some text to the description of every part with that module, It's been so long since I tinkered with that stuff I would mess it up. 

4 hours ago, eberkain said:

It would be nice to see that, i agree.  Assuming that waterfall uses a new module, it would be pretty simple to make a MM patch that appends some text to the description of every part with that module, It's been so long since I tinkered with that stuff I would mess it up. 

Here you go. I used FINAL here assuming this is a personal patch for anyone who wants it. Can go anywhere in Gamedata as a cfg file, suggest in a personal patch folder.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleWaterfallFX]]:FINAL
{
	@description ^= :$: Plume configured by Waterfall.:
}

Edited by Zorg

I've been having a problem for a while now. I'm not 100% certain if it's Waterfall FX that does this, but a lot of audio tends to cut out after a while from starting up the game. What used to be the rumbling thunder from a Mastodon just becomes silence when I use the same engine later. It remains like this until restarting the game, where the same thing happens: I hear the audio for a while, but then it decides to stop making sound. What's going on here?

For more specific notes on what's happening, I have listed everything I can note down below:

• Audio that still works:
    • Staging audio (Pressing spacebar/ pressing spacebar with no stages left)
    • Ambient audio (Moving at high speeds through atmospheres, VAB audio)
  • Audio that fails after some arbitrary amount of time (could be consistent, could be inconsistent, I'm not too sure) (All of these fail at once, not one at a time):
    • All Engine/RCS audio
    • Explosion audio
    • Parachute deployment audio
Edited by intelliCom