[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

I have Stock waterfall effects/Base Waterfall and I love them both but after watching these 2 videos(1 video with stock+ mods and 1 video with RSS/RO mod packs) , I saw that the mastodon “f-1” engine had the iconic Kerosene sooty layer in the first part of its exhaust plume with the amazing looking waterfall plume below. I was wondering how I could do this in my game?

At 1:43 in this one(very faint but you can still see it)

3:33 till 3:56 you can see it very well. Also this video is very well put together, I suggest to watch it fully!

@QAM00In the first video it appears to be using the Restock mod which updates the stock part models, and has its own waterfall patch mod (link in the OP of this thread near the bottom). “Stock waterfall effects” wont work on Restock models.

The engine in the 2nd video isn’t a mastodon, but an actual F1 part for RO, with a custom made plume for the fireball and soot. The BDB F1 has a (very ;) ) similar plume if you want a part that is more stockalike in performance

Edited by Rodger

10 hours ago, Rodger said:

@QAM00In the first video it appears to be using the Restock mod which updates the stock part models, and has its own waterfall patch mod (link in the OP of this thread near the bottom). “Stock waterfall effects” wont work on Restock models.

The engine in the 2nd video isn’t a mastodon, but an actual F1 part for RO, with a custom made plume for the fireball and soot. The BDB F1 has a (very ;) ) similar plume if you want a part that is more stockalike in performance

Got it thanks!

2 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

I've noticed that after I pause the game, the audio sometimes stops working. Did I miss an update?

Do you mean the audio stops, even after unpausing; a delay after unpausing the game; or no sound after pausing?

Edited by GuessingEveryDay
? not .

15 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Do you mean the audio stops, even after unpausing; a delay after unpausing the game; or no sound after pausing?

I mean the sound effects stop playing altogether. The music's still fine, but the mods engine and rcs effects stop making noise until a game restart.

I'm looking for a bit of help.  I'm working on some waterfall configs for some resized F1 engines, having a bit of a problem.  This is not an area I'm familiar with, wondering if some kind soul would be interested in taking a look and helping me finish.

PM me or reply here

LGG

On 8/8/2022 at 10:59 PM, Rodger said:

Were you responsible for that F1 effects?

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is amazing! Thanks!

I use Restock, Restock+ and RLA Reborn. I'm using Waterfall Restock config but it doesn't t work with RLA Reborn engines.

How do I fix that? Should I download another config pack? If not, how do I use existing configs with MM patches?

Is there a tutorial on the GUI editor? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Just installed the ReStock version of waterfall, and the "default" changes are really nice! 

Just wondering, the boosters doesn't seem to be affected by the mod. Is there a way to change, or place to find settings for ReStock's boosters?

Edited by Windh

6 hours ago, Windh said:

Hi! Just installed the ReStock version of waterfall, and the "default" changes are really nice! 

Just wondering, the boosters doesn't seem to be affected by the mod. Is there a way to change, or place to find settings for ReStock's boosters?

If you're meaning the SRBs, those're left out intentionally, since their opaque, smoky plumes are much, much harder to make work with Waterfall. There *have* been a few attempts to make hybrid RealPlume + Waterfall effects for them - however, I don't recall how those turned out ^^;

2 hours ago, Starseeker said:

If you're meaning the SRBs, those're left out intentionally, since their opaque, smoky plumes are much, much harder to make work with Waterfall. There *have* been a few attempts to make hybrid RealPlume + Waterfall effects for them - however, I don't recall how those turned out ^^;

Sorry, SRBs... yes...

thanks for clearing it up!

@Nertea I've been trying to create a waterfall base config for a SpaceY engine. Could you tell me why my config does not work please? I'm currently at a loss.

@PART[SYengine2mR1]
MODULE
{
  name = ModuleWaterfallFX
  moduleID = ratiteFX
  engineID = SYR1
  TEMPLATE
   {
     templateName = stock-hydrolox-upper-1
     overrideParentTransform = ThrustTransform
     scale = 1,1,1
     rotation = 0,0,0
     position = 0,0,0
   }
}

23 hours ago, thelittleidot said:

@Nertea I've been trying to create a waterfall base config for a SpaceY engine. Could you tell me why my config does not work please? I'm currently at a loss.

@PART[SYengine2mR1]
MODULE
{
  name = ModuleWaterfallFX
  moduleID = ratiteFX
  engineID = SYR1
  TEMPLATE
   {
     templateName = stock-hydrolox-upper-1
     overrideParentTransform = ThrustTransform
     scale = 1,1,1
     rotation = 0,0,0
     position = 0,0,0
   }
}

I think you're missing a pair of curly boys there.

Hello !

I have a  very weird bug

After extensive tests, it seems that Waterfall (when used with ''Katniss'sCapeCanaveral for KSRSS'') is causing problems to ''GravityTurn continued'' and ''NASA CountDown Clock Updated''

On the launchpad, the ''gravity turn'' launch button is not present (it should be), to make it appear, you have to do a timewarp. After the timewarp, you can use ''gravity turn'', but it's not possible anymore to make appear the ''Nasa Countdawn'' window. I think that the game think that you are not landed anymore.

It's not doing this with every rockets, but for exemple, the bug occure with the SLS craft file from ''Artemis Construction Kit | Stockalike Orion & SLS''

It's a situation pretty specific, but when I remove waterfall or Katniss, there is no problem anymore. I guess that there is a weird interaction between those two mods causing the two others to bug.

In case you want reproduce this, you can find here log/photos/gamedata  : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KFLfi_Iy5UfprhCqlLXUIhlCYLRrBT0-?usp=sharing  :)

20 hours ago, Progetto_64 said:

and how about solid fuel boosters? there's no texture for solid fuel boosters, sepratrons and launch escape systems

Use Real Plume! Waterfall will override the realplume configs for the liquid engines but since there aren't any waterfall effects for the srb's it allows the realplume versions to be used.