[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

1 hour ago, Starseeker said:

You need the WaterfallRestock config installed to give ReStock engines Waterfall effetcs; since most stock engines (aside from jet engines) are replaced by ReStock, the ReStock config should be all you need on the stock/restock side of things. It could be that having both is somehow creating some kind of error; try removing the configs for stock engines and see if that changes things.

strangely enough, it didnt change a thing.... the engine just lights up, no exhaust effect

Just now, Giancarlo Kerman said:

strangely enough, it didnt change a thing.... the engine just lights up, no exhaust effect

Should I manually input the CFG files directly into the engine files?

2 minutes ago, Giancarlo Kerman said:

Should I manually input the CFG files directly into the engine files?

No. 
Try reinstalling both WFRestock and Waterfall core. Make sure you have the latest versions. 
Also make sure to delete the folders, not just overwrite them. 

3 minutes ago, Giancarlo Kerman said:

can't thank you enough for your time and help! 

Now I can enjoy this to its fullest!

No problem:)

I'm just glad that another Kerb gets to enjoy this wonderful mod :D

It's now required that you share your screenshots with us. :wink:

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

And after last nights comment, I’ve installed the mod. 

super impressed! Less performance hit compared to real plume which is good news for my pants gpu :D and looks spectacular!

thanks for creating such a nice mod!

edit: omg the jet engine heat distortion for stock configs looks incredible!

Edited by MR L A

6 minutes ago, FatherOfGold said:

Waterfall Restock doesn't have configs for any of the DLC engines. Is that going to be added?

The only two it does not have configs for are the Bobcat and Cheetah, which Restock does not touch. If you want configs for those two you can grab them from StockWaterfallEffects.

2 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

The only two it does not have configs for are the Bobcat and Cheetah, which Restock does not touch. If you want configs for those two you can grab them from StockWaterfallEffects.

How do I add them? The Stock Waterfall Configs are arranged differently (in the folders) than restock waterfall. Do I just copy over the .cfg files for those engines from Stock to the restock folder with all the cfgs in it or is there something else I have to do?

On 5/16/2021 at 1:57 PM, FatherOfGold said:

How do I add them? The Stock Waterfall Configs are arranged differently (in the folders) than restock waterfall. Do I just copy over the .cfg files for those engines from Stock to the restock folder with all the cfgs in it or is there something else I have to do?

You could do that, but I believe they rely on templates that come with StockWaterfallEffects, so you would have to find which ones you need and copy those over too.

What I would do is just install it normally like any other mod. HOWEVER, if you’ve also got Restock installed, none of the engine effects will show up in game because all of the StockWaterfallEffect .cfgs contain a written command line that tell them not to function if Restock is present.

Go to the .cfg for the Bobcat and Cheetah, and remove the following phrase from the top line: “NEEDS:[!Restock].

You can also do the same for the 5 aircraft engines (Juno, Weasley, Whiplash, Panther, and Rapier) if you want, since Restock doesn’t touch those either.

EDIT: Just wanted to point out that this information is outdated as of August 2, 2021. The latest release of StockWaterfallEffects has changed the plumes to no longer conflict when Restock is present.

Edited by lemon cup

Found some weird behavior with the Waterfall Restock config for the O-10 "Puff" engine: a duplicate of some part of the plume, shrunk and displaced a fair bit. It also persists even when opening the Waterfall editor and disabling drawing of every listed effect.

Spoiler

Vx6KEM3.png
atTCvoG.png
xdctjze.png

Here's my player.log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Vk0R2jqMXOjOD6S65ctFJvrpy3eiWfv/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, Starseeker said:

Found some weird behavior with the Waterfall Restock config for the O-10 "Puff" engine: a duplicate of some part of the plume, shrunk and displaced a fair bit. It also persists even when opening the Waterfall editor and disabling drawing of every listed effect.

If you look at the templates field in the UI you'll see a "1" and a "2"... this is happening because the Puff somehow has a second template: https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/WaterfallRestock/blob/995235d212d154459e56175eccfa6b31826bfc86/GameData/WaterfallRestock/Patches/Squad/omsEngine.cfg#L89-L98. I'm guessing that shouldn't be there.

45 minutes ago, Al2Me6 said:

If you look at the templates field in the UI you'll see a "1" and a "2"... this is happening because the Puff somehow has a second template: https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/WaterfallRestock/blob/995235d212d154459e56175eccfa6b31826bfc86/GameData/WaterfallRestock/Patches/Squad/omsEngine.cfg#L89-L98. I'm guessing that shouldn't be there.

Ah, yeah, that'd do it! :D
Doing some in-game testing, the "waterfall-kerolox-vernier-2" template seems to be the superfluous one.

1 hour ago, Probus said:

The second template is often used for the glow inside the nozzle or the turbo-pump flame. You've got a position offset problem there. 

The kerolox vernier template most certainly isn't used for nozzle glow (you're thinking of waterfall-nozzle-glow-yellow-1, probably). The Puff also doesn't have a vernier.

Edited by Al2Me6
Word choice.

40 minutes ago, Al2Me6 said:

The second template most certainly isn't used for nozzle glow (you're thinking of waterfall-nozzle-glow-yellow-1, probably). The Puff also doesn't have a vernier.

Sorry, your are right. I wasn't very clear.

I was talking more generally about extra templates and when I said nozzle glow I should have said something more like the fiery glow or flames inside the nozzle.  As you know, many of the older nozzles don't glow at all so I've noticed a second template can be used to give the inside of the nozzle that bright effect instead of it just being black.

EDIT: Beautiful work on the RO Waterfall Configs!!

Edited by Probus

4 hours ago, horace said:

i hope there are plumes for jet engines

There are. You have to download a mod called "Stock Waterfall Patches" And in the configs for the engines, you have to remove "&!Restock" from the Juno, Wheesly, Panther, Whiplash, Golitah, and R.A.P.I.E.R. You can also add plumes to the Cheetah and Bobcat using the same method.

18 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

There are. You have to download a mod called "Stock Waterfall Patches" And in the configs for the engines, you have to remove "&!Restock" from the Juno, Wheesly, Panther, Whiplash, Golitah, and R.A.P.I.E.R. You can also add plumes to the Cheetah and Bobcat using the same method.

but i have restock installed, iirc stock waterfall will not work with restock waterfall

24 minutes ago, horace said:

but i have restock installed, iirc stock waterfall will not work with restock waterfall

All the Module-Manager patches that Stock Waterfall Effects uses have a bit in them that prevents them from being applied if Restock is installed, which is the "&!Restock" part in the first line of the config file. Remove that bit, and it'll work; this would cause all sorts of issues with Restock-touched engines, but none of the stock jet engines are affected by Restock , nor the Cheetah or Bobcat (and the RAPIER only minimally), so removing that bit from the patches for just those engines should work fine.

Note: the Cheetah and Bobcat might be remade in a future Restock release, so that's something to watch out for w/r/t these patch edits. The jet engines, however, have (along with all other C7 Aerospace assets) been intentionally excluded from Restock, and will remain so for the forseeable future, so the patch edits for those engines should work through all future releases of Restock. ;)

Edited by Starseeker