[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

Yeah, I did in fact download these mods from CKAN. I haven't tested all engines, but it looks like most plumes except Bobcat and Cheetah look the same with and without Stock Waterfall effects and are displayed correctly. Very weird.

EDIT: @lemon cup Just saw your edit, thanks for the help! :D The RAPIER plume is buggy, but that's probably due to Realplume. Just removed it since I now have the Waterfall plumes for all engines.

EDIT 2: Well nvm the RAPIER plume is actually buggy because because Restock's RAPIER is shorter than the stock one. Any ideas how to fix?

Edited by Neebel

On 7/22/2021 at 12:16 AM, mateusviccari said:

Hi guys, I'm trying to put waterfall in the stock SRBs. I didn't get far but I got somewhere. But of course there are no smoke trails since waterfall cannot do this. Is there a way to put the stock smoke trail effects together with waterfall?

zoKyc8Y.jpg

Have a look at nerteas Waterfall configs for the erebus engine in the cryoEngines mod: it has waterfall plumes AND a smoke trail (the stock one)... so somehow it seems to be combineable.

I'd love to see a set of waterfall configs for SRBs. Let's be honest: Waterfall is so much superior in plume drawing, than the stock plumes. KSP's SRB stock plumes kinda suck. :cool:

Edited by Rakete

-SOLVED-ish-

After installing this mod (and Stock Waterfall Effects), there are no rocket plumes whatsoever. I first tested this on the R.A.P.I.E.R. engine, as it has a liquid fuel and air breathing toggle, and neither worked. I did notice that on the air breathing version, there were little puffs of air coming out every once in a while. I also have infinite fuel on to make sure that it wasn't just me not supplying fuel to my engine.

I'm using Stock Waterfall Effects 0.5.1 and Waterfall 0.6.7, in case that helps at all.

Solution: I had either Near Future Propulsion and/or Far Future Technologies installed too, and I think if you have those installed too (without the mods to make it work) it turns off all trails. My solution was to delete the GameData folder and tell Steam to reinstall the game. Then, I added Waterfall and the stock effects mod and it works now.

Edited by JustinP1151

45 minutes ago, coyotesfrontier said:

@Nertea, would it be possible to have engine sound vary with atmospheric density in future versions? Or at least have a controller for it. Currently engines have the same sound ASL as they do in vacuum, having engines sounds get softer and deeper as you reach space would be a nice touch.

Waterfall doesn't do anything with the sound effects system, it just provides some new loops. You'd have to write new SFX handlers for that. 

2 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

@Nertea, would it be possible to have engine sound vary with atmospheric density in future versions? Or at least have a controller for it. Currently engines have the same sound ASL as they do in vacuum, having engines sounds get softer and deeper as you reach space would be a nice touch.

Rocket sound enhancement mod is probably what you are looking for. For me it works great with waterfall in 1.12.1. Or Audio muffler redux mod which works fine as well.

7 hours ago, hermano said:

Rocket sound enhancement mod is probably what you are looking for. For me it works great with waterfall in 1.12.1. Or Audio muffler redux mod which works fine as well.

Does it? IIRC the Waterfall sounds apply over those from RSE, I had to go into the configurations and add some :NEEDS[!RocketSoundEnhancement]s in there to get RSE's sounds and Waterfall configurations not to step on each others' toes. That said, it was a pretty simple fix and I am most certainly enjoying the experience.

16 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Does it? IIRC the Waterfall sounds apply over those from RSE, I had to go into the configurations and add some :NEEDS[!RocketSoundEnhancement]s in there to get RSE's sounds and Waterfall configurations not to step on each others' toes. That said, it was a pretty simple fix and I am most certainly enjoying the experience.

I'm sure you're right. I didn't expect Waterfall do add its own custom sounds. I probably have both running without recognizing it. Muffling the sounds still works though.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, BEG5210 said:

How can you make configs? I want to make some configs for engines that don't have any configs. I also want to permanently edit some of the default configs. can someone explain to me how you can do it, or send me a guide?
Thanks!

https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/Waterfall/wiki/Concepts

Hey. I'm totally loving the Waterfall mod! I've been playing with the Stock Waterfall Effects configs and I recently started applying those templates to the SXT parts.

However, I've been having trouble getting the RCS to work on a couple (not all) of the parts from SXT. I'm sure this is something obvious I'm missing, but any help figuring it out would be great!

I can't get the RCS Controller to work. When I add it (and the template) nothing happens. The  ALT F12 Console is constantly spitting out Warning: [Waterfall][RCSController] RCS controller not assigned.

Bellow is the config I'm using for the Munar Excursion Module, which isn't working, and it's very similar (just changed the @PART name and moduleID) to the config for the RCS Boom I'm using which is working.

Spoiler

@PART[MEMLanderSXT]
{

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleWaterfallFX
    // This is a custom name
    moduleID = MEMRCSFX
    // This links the effects to a given ModuleEngines
    engineID = basicEngine

// List out all controllers we want available
    CONTROLLER
    {
      name = atmosphereDepth
      linkedTo = atmosphere_density
    }
    CONTROLLER
    {
      name = rcs
      linkedTo = rcs
    }
     CONTROLLER
    {
        name = R1
        linkedTo = random
        noiseType = perlin
        scale = 1
        minimum = 0
        speed = 12
        seed = 1
    }

TEMPLATE
    {
      // This is the name of the template to use
      templateName = stock-rcs-jet-2
      // This field allows you to override the parentTransform name in the EFFECTS contained in the template
      overrideParentTransform = RCSthruster
      position = 0,-0.075,0
      rotation = 0, 0, 180
      scale = 0.95, 0.95, 0.95
    }
  }
}

On 8/6/2021 at 6:27 AM, RyanRising said:

In which file can i do this? And where do i need to put the line? 
Is this still needed to make waterfall and rocket sound enhancements work together? 

5 hours ago, Kerdel said:

In which file can i do this? And where do i need to put the line? 
Is this still needed to make waterfall and rocket sound enhancements work together? 

It's not needed - you might not even notice that the sounds are playing over each other. If you don't, don't bother with it. If you do, you'll need to put :NEEDS[!RocketSoundEnhancement] in the Waterfall configuration files or as a patch on your own where the sounds are applied.

On 8/15/2021 at 2:24 PM, ROCKETGOOSE said:

Hey. I'm totally loving the Waterfall mod! I've been playing with the Stock Waterfall Effects configs and I recently started applying those templates to the SXT parts.

However, I've been having trouble getting the RCS to work on a couple (not all) of the parts from SXT. I'm sure this is something obvious I'm missing, but any help figuring it out would be great!

I can't get the RCS Controller to work. When I add it (and the template) nothing happens. The  ALT F12 Console is constantly spitting out Warning: [Waterfall][RCSController] RCS controller not assigned.

Bellow is the config I'm using for the Munar Excursion Module, which isn't working, and it's very similar (just changed the @PART name and moduleID) to the config for the RCS Boom I'm using which is working.

Honestly, don't bother with this part because its transforms are kind of broken. I tried and had to give up: https://github.com/vevladdd/RO-Waterfall/blob/master/RealismOverhaul/Waterfall_Configs/SXTContinued/sxt_lem.cfg#L15

Edited by Al2Me6

7 hours ago, Al2Me6 said:

Honestly, don't bother with this part because its transforms are kind of broken. I tried and had to give up: https://github.com/vevladdd/RO-Waterfall/blob/master/RealismOverhaul/Waterfall_Configs/SXTContinued/sxt_lem.cfg#L15

It did seem like there was some strange things going on with it! Did you have similar issues with the SXT Vanguard engine? That's the other one I was struggling with. 

Once I've got some time next week I might have a go at reworking these parts so they play a little nicer.

On 8/19/2021 at 5:50 AM, ROCKETGOOSE said:

Did you have similar issues with the SXT Vanguard engine? That's the other one I was struggling with. 

Sorry, I never looked at that part. I do configs for RO only and that part isn't used in a 'conventional' RO install.

1 hour ago, Mr.dobsonian said:

Apologies if this has been asked but does this work well with low end pcs? I have a Nividia Geforce GT 730 if that helps.

Cheers.

the waterfall effects are usually better than the stock particle system for your performance. However, for some of the engine plumes that are particularly complex, this might not be true.
I'm working on a performance update for my own plume configs though.

8 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

the waterfall effects are usually better than the stock particle system for your performance. However, for some of the engine plumes that are particularly complex, this might not be true.

Looking forward to optimized rapier plumes. Thank you for all your efforts to give us eye candy. 

Edited by Rakete

8 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

This sounds very interesting!

What things are the heaviest hitters  to performance when designing effects? What are you changing to make them more performant?

WaterfallRestock is kinda broken in 1.12.2, Reliant and Swivel, originally called liquidEngine/liquidEngine2 were replaced by liquidEngine_v2/liquidEngine2_v2 which of course leads to the waterfall config no longer applying to the right engines.

Edited by Neebel