[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Probably a bug, how to you get that to happen though? If i have an engine running and I try to enter on-rails timewarp, the game doesn't let me. 

Maybe they are using a mod that lets them burn through timewarp, like Persistent Thrust? That would fall to more of an incompatibility than a bug though.

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Somewhat recovered from first 2w of new baby, catching up...

Also, congrats!

9 hours ago, TBenz said:

Maybe they are using a mod that lets them burn through timewarp, like Persistent Thrust? That would fall to more of an incompatibility than a bug though.

Yes, have to understand how it happens so I can fix it!

Why isn't there a config file for the stock engines? And yes, I am aware that there is a config file for the restock mod, which are the stock engines, but retextured. This mod is great, however since apparently some of the colliders and drag cubes / aerodynamics differ from the stock models, it can not be considered stock. This stops many players from using the Restock mod, or Waterfall. I'm sort of looking for a way to use the beautiful engine plumes of this mod, but without messing with the stock models.

22 minutes ago, Knight of St John said:

Why isn't there a config file for the stock engines? And yes, I am aware that there is a config file for the restock mod, which are the stock engines, but retextured. This mod is great, however since apparently some of the colliders and drag cubes / aerodynamics differ from the stock models, it can not be considered stock. This stops many players from using the Restock mod, or Waterfall. I'm sort of looking for a way to use the beautiful engine plumes of this mod, but without messing with the stock models.

It is a work in progress and as Nertea is an author of Restock, I'd guess he wanted it to work with Restock first.

11 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

There's only an extremely small difference between stock and ReStock, I bet that the physics inaccuracies caused by differing performance between machines causes more of a difference. Your loss I guess.

12 hours ago, hemeac said:

It is a work in progress and as Nertea is an author of Restock, I'd guess he wanted it to work with Restock first.

I see. I might have a look into it then, and see if i can bootstrap the plumes for restock to stock.

5 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

There's only an extremely small difference between stock and ReStock, I bet that the physics inaccuracies caused by differing performance between machines causes more of a difference. Your loss I guess.

Graphics performance doesn't impact the physics simulation, or at least it shouldn't. And small differences still count, especially if you are part of a community that is comparing missions. 

22 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

I'd make some statement about using beautiful engine plumes with questionable models but you do you.

The real "why" is that this is a framework mod. Anyone can use it to create effects or assign bundled effect templates to engines. When you ask why someone hasn't done that, well, you're basically doing the same thing as dropping into Add On Discussion and requesting a mod.

As I use Restock, I made a project to assign those configs. I assume someone will go and do that for stock eventually, but it won't be me.

I should also point out that fundamentally there are likely issues with using the plumes with stock engines. They won't look as good, because the effects depend on well-crafted emissive maps, many stock models lack this.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:01 AM, Nertea said:

Possibly some of them, but don't let that stop you! In the base repo, I realistically want to include 1-2 templates that when put together would cover almost all engines. I'd suggest looking at the ones Zorg did ingame and seeing if yours could also fit in without too much duplication then we can roll them in. 

Well, taking a look, it seems the ones I made/was planning to make are basically inferior versions of the ones Zorg made (hydrolox sustainer, ablative-nozzle hydrolox sustainer, hydrolox vacuum), with the only extra thing mine have being the low-throttle miniflame effect and a small difference on the sustainer plume (which are both pretty minor details, overall). Ah well! I can still help out by making CryoEngine configs to apply the templates :)

(Also sorry for the late response! First week of term started and it's been A Time, with everything being online-only ^^; )

On 9/29/2020 at 11:01 AM, Nertea said:

Somewhat recovered from first 2w of new baby, catching up...

Oh congrats!!

On 10/3/2020 at 2:06 AM, Knight of St John said:

This mod is great, however since apparently some of the colliders and drag cubes / aerodynamics differ from the stock models, it can not be considered stock. This stops many players from using the Restock mod, or Waterfall. I'm sort of looking for a way to use the beautiful engine plumes of this mod, but without messing with the stock models.

ReStock is not supposed to change anything, it's designed to be 100% stock compatible, at least as far as colliders go. It very much can be considered stock, that's the point of it. 

Stock models are both inferior and, in some cases, buggy. If there are any differences between it and ReStock, it's because the latter fixes a bug.

On 9/29/2020 at 8:44 PM, TBenz said:

Ok I figured it out, it only lets you enter timewarp like that if you are on the pad or runway, and you are at 0 velocity (either the rocket has insufficient TWR and sits still on the pad, or is tied down by launch clamps). I tested this on a stock install, and this is what I found.

2 hours ago, Aniruddh said:

Ok I figured it out, it only lets you enter timewarp like that if you are on the pad or runway, and you are at 0 velocity (either the rocket has insufficient TWR and sits still on the pad, or is tied down by launch clamps). I tested this on a stock install, and this is what I found.

Huh, I guess that makes sense. Timewarp only cares about acceleration (gravity excluded). I would speculate that you could timewarp with an engine burning even if you were in orbit if you had multiple engines canceling eachother out.

@Nertea, I tried to attach a log just after that post, but I guess the ksp forums want you to use a pastebin. Here is a new log and set of screenshots.

ksp log:

https://pastebin.pl/view/0827fde0

some engines have no plume:

kZsCKvl.png

others have a missing texture coloured plume, both before and after activation. (didnt catch a screenshot of after activation, but the log includes it.)

l8mAHob.png

16 hours ago, toric5 said:

Fudge. First KSP mod Ive encountered that has a problem with linux... I assume its a DirectX problem?

Is linux support planned?

You can try copying these files https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/Waterfall/tree/master/GameData/Waterfall/Shaders and renaming them - replace the windows with linux (eg. waterfallshaders-windows.waterfall -> waterfallshaders-linux.waterfall). That will force the plugin to at least try loading the shaders on linux.

Edited by Nertea

17 hours ago, Nertea said:

You can try copying these files https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/Waterfall/tree/master/GameData/Waterfall/Shaders and renaming them - replace the windows with linux (eg. waterfallshaders-windows.waterfall -> waterfallshaders-linux.waterfall). That will force the plugin to at least try loading the shaders on linux.

Sorry, same result. just pink. do you want another log?

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Yes, looks like the shaders need to be recompiled for Linux. I'll add it to my list of things to look at when I have time - can you act as a guinea pig for linux support?

Of course.