Does anyone know how to submerge the KSC?

Im trying to make a sea dragon replica, but it floats, so I need to use launch clamps to hold it down, and the only way that I can do that is by launching it from the launch pad. Does anyone know I way that I can do that with mods, scatterer, or modifying things in the game data folder? Thanks!

Edited by BoBRossPlush

There are others with far more experience than I in floating vessels in KSP, but my first inclination would be to create a first stage with lots of ore tanks full of ore to make a "launch pad" that sinks.   Use vessel mover or some other method to place the rocket in deep water, and launch!  It will take some tweaking to get the bouancy just right, but I think you should be able to have a rocket stand upright in the ocean, with only the upper parts above the water.    It's much easier and less game/immersion breaking than flooding the KSC

9 minutes ago, BoBRossPlush said:

I have done that before, with my center of mass being in the center of the ore tank, but it just floats

Keep adding more ore tanks till it doesn't float, and then take a bit of ore out of the top level tanks until it floats at the level you want. 

1 minute ago, BoBRossPlush said:

Ok, that will probably work, thanks!

Like I said though, others will probably have better ideas than I do.   But that's the approach I'd take, and I might be inspired to try something like this.    Good luck!

I'd just put a wagon underneath it with a decoupler as a connector (using whatever propulsion necessary). And I'd launch it from the runway -- anything you can launch from the launchpad, you can also launch from the runway (assuming all the proper upgrades). Launching from the runway is always easier than the launchpad. Then drive the wagon + sea dragon down to the water and decouple the two. Maybe you have to do a little jiggling to get the wagon out from under the other craft, but it's always doable.

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

Do you have the Making History DLC?  If you do, you can place a portable launch pad on the bottom of the sea (or pretty much anywhere, including the sides of mountains).

1TEVvhQ.png

I had no clue about that feature! I have the DLC, but how exactly do you place the launch pad?

35 minutes ago, BoBRossPlush said:

I had no clue about that feature! I have the DLC, but how exactly do you place the launch pad?

12 minutes ago, bewing said:

It only works when you're building a mission. Not when you're playing.

As @bewing said, it only works in the mission builder menu--so you will not have that available in the standard game, but unless you are doing career, you can pretty much play the game right from there.  You create a new mission and you can set a remote launch pad.

I have to run out at the moment, but I will see if I can record a short video demo this evening or tomorrow which will probably be more clear than trying to explain it in words.

In the meantime, go into Mission Builder and have a play around; it is a wonderful testing tool. In addition to the the portable launch pad, you can also place your ships anywhere, including the water.  There is, in fact, a box you can tick to decide if you wish to place your craft on the surface of the bottom.  The only catch to that is a  buoyant craft will of course immediately start floating towards the surface.  The launch pad is your only option if you want to hold it there without using ore tanks.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.