[1.12.X] Eisenhower Astronautics v1.1.0 - Stockalike Angara

EStreetRockets

This all looks very nice! I remember there being two mods for Angara rockets a long time ago; one of them also included the Orel/PTK spacecraft, but I think both of those mods are long defunct by now. Nice to see that someone is taking up the challenge of creating this lovely rocket again.

screenshot0.png

Must say that this is spectacular. I've got a few tweaks in mind that I'll do myself.

1. RealPlumes. This will be on the RealPlume-Stock repo, but I feel they're absolutely critical for any stockalike parts mod. Will just patch the Tantares RD-191 for now.

2. Part titles/descriptions. Kerbalized versions of "Angara" (Narochev?) and detailed descriptions.

3. Small avionics units for the fairings.

Recommendations:

1. Add small separation motors to the radial decouplers. When I launched without them, the boosters recontacted the core and caused a fairly heavy roll that couldn't be stopped until URM-2 separation.

2.  Increase RD-191 placeholder (or real engine) thrust. I got 0.93 TWR on the pad without any payload, using A5.

Despite these little minutiae in balance/in-game integration, the art is fantastic. I must compliment you, and say you're just about on the level of the greats.

22 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

1. RealPlumes. This will be on the RealPlume-Stock repo, but I feel they're absolutely critical for any stockalike parts mod. Will just patch the Tantares RD-191 for now.

2. Part titles/descriptions. Kerbalized versions of "Angara" (Narochev?) and detailed descriptions.

3. Small avionics units for the fairings.

Recommendations:

1. Add small separation motors to the radial decouplers. When I launched without them, the boosters recontacted the core and caused a fairly heavy roll that couldn't be stopped until URM-2 separation.

2.  Increase RD-191 placeholder (or real engine) thrust. I got 0.93 TWR on the pad without any payload, using A5.

Thanks for your review! That's a good-looking Angara A5 you got there!

(I must correct 2 small errors in your A5, however. Firstly, the roll control fins are only used where there is a single URM-1 core, not on the A3 and A5 where the outer boosters provide roll control. Secondly, to have a correct A5 fairing, you have to have 3 wall segments on the SAF fairing. It looks like you have 2 on there right now.)

In general, a lot of these things are as they are because I haven't completed the mod yet. It will all come in good time.

1. Real Plume support is planned, as I agree its important for any stockalike mod. However, I plan to use have Nertea's Waterfall as a highly recommended dependency, as it is more efficient and easier to implement than any other plume, even stock.

2. I have part titles and descriptions planned. Right now they are just called Angara with simple descriptions to make things more clear and easy in development. At release, I plan to follow the BDB/Tantares/Provenance naming style (just giving them a cool sounding name) and my Angara will be called "Youngstown".

3. Maybe.

1. Yeah, I just started getting this roll problem as well after I made a change to the radial decoupler. All I can say now is that it will be fixed before release, I haven't had the chance to do any investigation. Motors may be a solution.

2. This is just a problem of balancing all the parts. I think that the thrust should be about correct, its just that the other parts are way too heavy because I haven't balanced them all yet.

Edited by EStreetRockets

On 12/6/2020 at 1:02 AM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Recommendations:

So I can now say that both problems are fixed!

As it turned out, it wasn't a problem of boosters recontacting the core, but instead of how the force from the decouplers was being applied in the config. Its all fixed now and the decoupler model was changed a little so that the boosters are now closer to the core, like they are IRL.

The balancing has worked (for the most part) and TWR should be correct now. There was too much fuel in the tanks. Many thanks to @Zorg for help.  (Make sure to replace the tanks in your crafts so they have the correct amount of fuel and oxidizer in them).

In other news, the separatrons on the interstage were separated from the interstage and made into separate parts and I added a small roll control RCS thruster for the core. It should go on the engine in 2x symmetry just below the end of the pipe.

@Clamp-o-Tron A URM-2 Avionics unit has been added to the dev roadmap for the first release. I have the texture space and the time so its on its way. Expect preview images soon.

Edited by EStreetRockets

DEV UPDATE:

Angara 1.2 has a thin, 3m IRL (1.875m KSP) version of URM-2:

scaled.png

Here is the Eisenhower Astronautics version:

wHPvy4a.jpg

Also, International Launch Services advertises a "service module" space tug. With only a few images and sources, I took some artistic liberties and made it look like kind of fun:

tafDNab.jpg

Here is everything for Angara so far:

oDLuv6c.jpg

Edited by EStreetRockets

Really great Bealealike you've got here! Do you plan to add a bit more colour? In mockups at least, the engine mounts as well as the nose cones are in black. The real vehicles don't seem to be, but it might add a little bit more visual appeal.

I looked at the roadmap and there's a lot of promising stuff in there too! I recall a rocket called the Rus-M that I thought was based on similar hardware to Angara. I'm not sure where its development plans stand today, but is it something you might consider?

On 12/18/2020 at 4:53 AM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Really great Bealealike you've got here! Do you plan to add a bit more colour? In mockups at least, the engine mounts as well as the nose cones are in black. The real vehicles don't seem to be, but it might add a little bit more visual appeal.

I looked at the roadmap and there's a lot of promising stuff in there too! I recall a rocket called the Rus-M that I thought was based on similar hardware to Angara. I'm not sure where its development plans stand today, but is it something you might consider?

I am so glad you like the mod!
I have considered adding the black variants, but I decided not do based on texture space and justifying additional textures for not a lot of parts. I will definitely continue to consider it.
Thank you for reminding me of Rus-M! It is definitely something I want to add in a future update, especially because it would not require a lot of work to add, as it already uses the RD-180 and RD-0146, two engines that would already be in the mod.

New stuff!
I retouched the RD-0124. I also fixed up the emissive.

eHesPEx.png

When you update it, you will see that I have started adding the in-game names of everything. Here are the current names:

Angara->Youngstown
Angara 1.2 Service module->Beale
Universal Rocket Module -> Common Rocket Unit
URM-1->CRU-I
URM-2->CRU-II
RD-191->AnR-191 "Bessemer"

Check it out, y'all!

Edited by EStreetRockets

Quick update: I added a patch for Waterfall plumes on the RD-0124 a little while back. You should totally download Waterfall just because its amazing and makes great plumes:

Additionally, I have decided to not make Real Plume configs, as Waterfall provides the same functionality while being simpler and easier to use and requiring less performance from your computer.

Edited by EStreetRockets

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, EStreetRockets said:

Engine Update!

zqf5xUD.png

Here are a few of the RD-191 engine variants!

Left - RD-191V, vacuum variant

Center - Standard RD-191

Right - RD-192, methane version

RD-190 vacuum feels like the most russian thing ever xD Cool!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.