Aggressive Aerobraking

CFYL

3 hours ago, AllenLi said:

enter Eve atmosphere at insane speeds. Perhaps a bit over 20km/s

All right. After a test of 7780m/s reentry, my three layers of heat protection exploded in less than 10 secs. Gonna improve it a bit later.

On 8/25/2020 at 6:04 AM, king of nowhere said:

40 for no parachutes or aerodinamic parts and lost nothing (the engine was jettisoned before rentry)

@ralanboyle He also stated that he lost nothing during reentry, and somehow managed to do it with angled structural panels for the heavier entry. 

Maybe if you push your plane in with a slightly higher velocity, and you can beat it.

@king of nowhere The part count is surly high now. Heavy crafts are becoming significantly heavier now. This is really Kerbal:D

I am still losing parts during reentry though...

Edited by AllenLi

Okay, I was going to re-fly it and be more careful to not break parts... but instead I went full kerbal and just stacked my plane on top of my plane to make a 555 ton beast. Then I hucked it at the atmosphere and burned off the same battery. Then a truly Kerbal spin approach to a safe landing. Craft file >> craft file here  

I'm guessing the score is 270ish? 

On 8/26/2020 at 10:26 PM, ralanboyle said:

Okay, I was going to re-fly it and be more careful to not break parts... but instead I went full kerbal and just stacked my plane on top of my plane to make a 555 ton beast. Then I hucked it at the atmosphere and burned off the same battery. Then a truly Kerbal spin approach to a safe landing. Craft file >> craft file here  

I'm guessing the score is 270ish? 

That’s 252.5+31.8=294.3 points.

atmospheric reentry looking good!

A “plane” with 56 swept wings, 14 gears, and numerous other wing parts, is a significant improvement in Kerbalized piloting and building airplanes.

20 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

when all you're trying to do is slowing down your fall, drag is indistinguishable from lift

That’s true as long as you’re going straight down (usually you do when in Eve low atmosphere)

Okay so some googling later and I found this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/11/17/this-is-why-objects-burn-when-they-re-enter-the-atmosphere/#29ffbba36963

And it says this about the peak temp.:

An approximate rule-of-thumb used by heat shield designers for estimating peak shock layer temperature is to assume the air temperature in Kelvin to be equal to the entry speed in meters per second—a mathematical coincidence. For example, a spacecraft entering the atmosphere at 7.8km/s would experience a peak shock layer temperature of 7800 K.

So using the orbital speed of Eve (About 10,000 m/s) I figured out that the heat (with orbital speeds) would be about 10000 K.

Definitely exceeding the max temperature tolerance of my proposed idea (probe core on a structural panel)

50 minutes ago, Kerminator1000 said:

Does anyone know how to calculate how hot your rocket/lander will get. I have a few ideas (just chuck a heat resistant part at the atmosphere with a parachute) but I need to know how hot it will get.

Your plan is solid as long as you enter the atmosphere at below about 2000m/s (if i recall off hand), unless you are able to create lift. A high drag/low weight craft will make it through. 

If you follow that line of reasoning, you eventually end up with my spaceplance. I use drag to slow down before entering the thick part of the atmosphere, but if you aren't going to use lift to compensate then your weight will need to be low. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.