[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

I'm getting a loooot of errors with this build and scatterer 0.632. I'm using ksp 1.10.1, but I've tested this with KSP 1.8 too, and I had the same results. Both times tested with a light RSS+RSSVE install.

The errors aren't asymptomatic either - here is the space center:

Spoiler

6Ddztr8.png

Here is the log of me loading the game, opening a save and quitting after having waited in the space center scene for a few seconds: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19QQSjpgd6ZBn4MD_rRe3dlPSX_UnL-UK/view?usp=sharing

The only anomalous thing I've noticed is that EVEManager and Utils fail to load, but after that I can't understand why I would get all these errors.

2 hours ago, Standecco said:

I'm getting a loooot of errors with this build and scatterer 0.632. I'm using ksp 1.10.1, but I've tested this with KSP 1.8 too, and I had the same results. Both times tested with a light RSS+RSSVE install.

The errors aren't asymptomatic either - here is the space center:

Reveal hidden contents

6Ddztr8.png

Here is the log of me loading the game, opening a save and quitting after having waited in the space center scene for a few seconds: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19QQSjpgd6ZBn4MD_rRe3dlPSX_UnL-UK/view?usp=sharing

The only anomalous thing I've noticed is that EVEManager and Utils fail to load, but after that I can't understand why I would get all these errors.

It can't load EVEManager, I would think that your .dlls are corrupted somehow, have you tried reinstalling a fresh copy?

38 minutes ago, blackrack said:

It can't load EVEManager, I would think that your .dlls are corrupted somehow, have you tried reinstalling a fresh copy?

I did, multiple times; this install was copied from a fresh steam install too. Might it be related to the developmental build?

30 minutes ago, Standecco said:

I did, multiple times; this install was copied from a fresh steam install too. Might it be related to the developmental build?

This apparently has to do with the order in which .DLLs are loaded, as seen in:

For now you can try his temporary solution (rename EVEManager.dll to +EVEManager.dll) or maybe play with filenames until it loads that .dll first.

For next time I will try to do the correct solution @linuxgurugamer gives of explicitely defining dependencies.

Edited by blackrack

3 minutes ago, Standecco said:

@blackrack renaming EVEManager and Utils to +EVEManager and +Utils did fix the assembly load issues, but it didn't fix the rest of them. Still getting the NRE spam and broken visuals. New log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cLgbYlvgWRaYy9PpLZjPqGyL-ca8ZkPY/view?usp=sharing

Ah yes, the nullref spam is a known issue with Kopernicus (was reported a few days back), I haven't looked at it yet, but I suspect it won't be difficult to fix, will probably be fixed for the next version.

10 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Ah yes, the nullref spam is a known issue with Kopernicus (was reported a few days back), I haven't looked at it yet, but I suspect it won't be difficult to fix, will probably be fixed for the next version.

Alright, thanks a lot for the help! I'm available to do more testing if you need more data when you'll try fixing the bug, just write here if you need.

I just came across this today. I know I'm a little late to the party, but I can tell you that the difference on a linux system with a 3950x and a 5700xt is huge. The performance improvement is instantly noticeable.

I used to run a 1060 and it and the 5700xt is only a little bit better when running eve, but with your version it's just liquid smooth at all points during the launch, and hugely improved at the space center or when in LKO.

Nice work Blackrack. Thank you!

17 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Can't wait for this to be on CKAN. Or even awesomer, it becomes the new EVE!

I would not mind if blackrack wants to go that route.  My fixes for EVE were always intended more as a stopgap than anything else.  To be clear:  I'm a bugfixer, not a graphics expert.  I can't keep up in that regard. ;)

On 9/14/2020 at 2:38 PM, blackrack said:

Does this still occur in the latest 1.9.1 stable Kopernicus?  I think it should be fixed.  If so nothing to do on your end, more a minor screwup on ours.

Edited by R-T-B

@Standecco have you tried the latest Kopernicus build? I couldn't reproduce this issue tonight with latest Kopernicus, RSS, and RSSVE

Edited: Based on your log file, try replacing this DLL in your EVE-Redux install: https://mega.nz/file/rdZSBDgL#aKR00HvYbvc0qMRywlFnQ5CsoAIno0FhB9qxxfD6cmQ

Edited by blackrack

I'm not noticing massive FPS gains, but what I am noticing is my graphics card isn't getting nearly so hot.  What big difference I am seeing is how long it takes to exit warp to.  I usually have a few seconds that the game stops doing anything on exit from warp and now it's split seconds.  Textures when I use hyperedit to test a vessel are also loading correctly nearly every time.  Sometimes with hyperedit the planets would behave strangely and textures would be jumbled and jagged.  Now they do it a quarter as often.  Also, I have noticed significantly more activity in the cloud layers etc. which is awesome.  Great work!

On 9/28/2020 at 9:18 AM, Standecco said:

@blackrack I'm unfortunately unable to test it, since I no longer have access to my desktop pc. I'll try to reproduce it on my laptop, but I might not have enough free time for a while. Thanks a lot anyway!

Btw, there is something strange about your KSP install, like you are using a different version of unity or C# or something: Unity is being a lot less permissive, it's throwing errors about built-in methods, and methods being called in constructors, which I don't have. Scatterer also seems broken on your install due to these errors. What are you doing exactly and is this not what is breaking your game? Is this because you are attaching a debugger?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 6:16 PM, blackrack said:

Btw, there is something strange about your KSP install, like you are using a different version of unity or C# or something: Unity is being a lot less permissive, it's throwing errors about built-in methods, and methods being called in constructors, which I don't have. Scatterer also seems broken on your install due to these errors. What are you doing exactly and is this not what is breaking your game? Is this because you are attaching a debugger?

Sorry for the extremely late response :( . Yes, I'm using a dev install which launches the Unity developmental build of the game, obtained with the method described in this thread. I had removed scatterer for the moment and forked EVE-Redux from your repo to fix those errors, and iirc I managed to fix most (maybe all) of them (I had added KSPAssemblyDependencies to all files, changed a logging method that wasn't working with dynamically loaded instances, fixed a MonoBehaviour that was initialized the new keyword through a static constructor method, and that is all I think), but I don't remember if it was enough to make EVE work :/.

EDIT: I should add that this install (plus some other debugger installs) is what I generally use to develop mods in, and it has (so far) worked without issues. EVE and scatterer are the first mods that have caused me issues with it, but given their very different nature from "regular" ksp mods it doesn't really surprise me.

Edited by Standecco

• 3 weeks later...

@blackrack and @R-T-B -- I'm back to KSP after a while and I just wanted to express my appreciation of the work you've been doing. EVE (Redux) and Scatterer work beautifully, everything is incredibly fluid and there are none of the rendering flashes and jolts that there used to be. It runs every bit as smoothly as stock, with all of the visual glory. Terrific work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...