[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

Just now, HebaruSan said:

Good to know; just to confirm, is this intention no longer the case?

I saw this with the CKAN badge on SpaceDock and was trying to decide whether to index it as a separate mod or an adoption or something else.

Ah yeah, that's no longer the case so I will change it.

What exactly does "indexing it as an adoption" mean?

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Ah yeah, that's no longer the case so I will change it.

Cool, thanks!

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

What exactly does "indexing it as an adoption" mean?

In this case it means giving you the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements identifier, which we would usually only want to do if it doesn't step on the previous maintainer's toes.

Just now, HebaruSan said:

Cool, thanks!

In this case it means giving you the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements identifier, which we would usually only want to do if it doesn't step on the previous maintainer's toes.

Ah, @R-T-B is already onboard with this, so in that case we can just do that.

16 minutes ago, blackrack said:

we can just do that.

Awww..... The word Redux makes it sound cooler. You should keep that name :P

More seriously, I think it’s a better representation of the improvements over old EVE, and it helps distinguish the two. 

EVE Redux FTW!

23 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

More seriously, I think it’s a better representation of the improvements over old EVE, and it helps distinguish the two. 

EVE Redux FTW!

True, but I feel like a lot of users will miss it that way :)

6 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I'm currently using build 1.11.1.1 on KSP 1.10.1 (this isn't confusing at all) - do you recommend using build 1.11.2.1 on KSP 1.10.1 or only on KSP 1.11.1.1.1.1.11.1.1?

Use the latest version, It should be good for all versions from 1.9 onwards

47 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

EVE Redux FTW!

23 minutes ago, blackrack said:

True, but I feel like a lot of users will miss it that way :)

We'll pull the user-visible name from SpaceDock, so you can both be happy:

Kf9ht6g.png

19 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Wow! WTH is that, an oil rig in Eve?

Well, not quite, but you are giving me an idea... How deep do the oceans go? Hmm...

My thoughts with this base was more of a sheltered outpost with living quarters, isru section and science station. It also features a power plant section, quadcopter scouting vessel and a ramp to unload a small skiff. It has an underwater viewing deck aswell with and airlock to go swimming. Landing was fine, launching not so much...

@blackrack Eclipses don't shade crafts anymore? I think the previous version used to do that. 

Update: oh, I get it now. It only shades crafts if they are not in "scaled space", i.e. in low orbit.  Is there a way to make it work in any situation or it will also introduce some graphical glitches?

Edited by dok_377

2 hours ago, dok_377 said:

@blackrack Eclipses don't shade crafts anymore? I think the previous version used to do that. 
Update: oh, I get it now. It only shades crafts if they are not in "scaled space", i.e. in low orbit.  Is there a way to make it work in any situation or it will also introduce some graphical glitches?

Can you post a before/after comparison? I have never seen eclipses applying to craft in scaledSpace before but I may have just missed them.

Just now, blackrack said:

Can you post a before/after comparison? I have never seen eclipses applying to craft in scaledSpace before but I may have just missed them.

They don't, I discovered that after I tagged you. So my first part of the message is basically obsolete. 

6 hours ago, dok_377 said:

They don't, I discovered that after I tagged you. So my first part of the message is basically obsolete. 

Alright, well to answer your previous question

9 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Is there a way to make it work in any situation or it will also introduce some graphical glitches?

It can be made to work from anywhere, but there's two points there to think about:

1) Deciding at which distance to disable it, as having all eclipses being calculated for every planet is overkill, disabling in scaledSpace is kind of a simple way around this.

2) I was under the impression the game already disables the light when you are in the shadow of the planet even in scaledSpace, is this not the case? It doesn't look same as EVE eclipses as it disables the main light but the ambient light remains, in fact the problem with EVE eclipses is that they just darken everything, even secondary lights, emissive shaders, ambient light etc when the correct way to do it would be to properly integrate them in shadows (probably in a future version)

5 hours ago, blackrack said:

Alright, well to answer your previous question

It can be made to work from anywhere, but there's two points there to think about:

1) Deciding at which distance to disable it, as having all eclipses being calculated for every planet is overkill, disabling in scaledSpace is kind of a simple way around this.

2) I was under the impression the game already disables the light when you are in the shadow of the planet even in scaledSpace, is this not the case? It doesn't look same as EVE eclipses as it disables the main light but the ambient light remains, in fact the problem with EVE eclipses is that they just darken everything, even secondary lights, emissive shaders, ambient light etc when the correct way to do it would be to properly integrate them in shadows (probably in a future version)

OK, so is the reason why in my last game, I was going around darkside of the Mun and the sun was eclipsing behind Kerbin at same time and my craft went black looking, even textures? My cabin lights were not even showing, only thing I could see was my flag. The whole craft was black. I thought maybe it was Restock mod, since I just added that mod in also.

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

2) I was under the impression the game already disables the light when you are in the shadow of the planet even in scaledSpace, is this not the case?

Yeah, it works exactly like this. But with one quirk: the light is only disabled per SOI. So, for example, if you are in the orbit of the Mun - the Kerbin shadow will not fall on the craft. Only the Mun's shadow will disable light on the craft. But solar panels will still be blocked. It looks kind of funny and I actually didn't know about this until yesterday either. :D 

So these kind of eclipses are not possible even in the stock game, unfortunately. 

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

in fact the problem with EVE eclipses is that they just darken everything, even secondary lights, emissive shaders, ambient light etc 

I did see that this is the case. Even the strongest lights get blocked by the shadow shader. Well, I guess there is not much that can be done here without a massive rewrite.  Thanks for the answer. 

Edited by dok_377

3 hours ago, dok_377 said:

I did see that this is the case. Even the strongest lights get blocked by the shadow shader. Well, I guess there is not much that can be done here without a massive rewrite.  Thanks for the answer. 

Not a massive rewrite,  I already do it for Scatterer's caustics, they're integrated in the shadow system, I just have to take some time to do it.

Edited by blackrack

Just now, blackrack said:

Not a massive rewrite,  I already do it for Scatterer's caustics, they're integrated in the shadow system, I just have to take some time to do it.

Maybe in the future then. You already did a fantastic job on this mod as it is. 

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

You sure about this? Show the planet in map view log file

That looks weird though you're sure that's not the shadow of minmus?

KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PbepdTWhtJKWohp4waeMwBPFvgEDm8TG
Player.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LKE0yA20_L4tBMYsNbTJhm4evFKjKlUI

And yes, I'm sure this is not Minmus.  That was literally the first thing I checked. It's nowhere near close enough to make a shadow (not in front of the sun and the orbit is not even aligned properly) and this is only happening in local space. 

It also does this, apparently:
ZWBpjCU.png

Happens right after I cheat a craft into orbit and again, only in local space. And if it doesn't happen right away - I can just go into the tracking station and then back to craft. Interestingly enough, just opening the config menu via alt+0 and pressing apply makes this stuff go away immediately. Until the next scene reload, that is. 

Edited by dok_377

2 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Happens right after I cheat a craft into orbit and again, only in local space. And if it doesn't happen right away - I can just go into the tracking station and then back to craft. Interestingly enough, just opening the config menu via alt+0 and pressing apply makes this stuff go away immediately. Until the next scene reload, that is. 

I'm really not going to look into this if it happens only when cheating a craft into orbit.

Edited by blackrack