[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

1 hour ago, MrPoker said:

I think he will put it in patreon soon

12 hours ago, Agustin said:

Those clouds look insane. When are we having first release? I don't care if its alpha, beta or whatever

I can't tell you yet as there's still that orbital view to work on and irl can be unpredictable, just follow the thread ^^

26 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Testing some shading changes, I got skylight/ambient contribution working better and bumped the clouds up to a more realistic density to compensate. How do these look?

reuGzVZ.png

8QafvXY.png

The TAA is eating them up pretty hard it looks like, especially on the second screenshot, the lower clouds. And they also have something that looks like an outline of sorts? On the lower parts of the clouds. 

4 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

The TAA is eating them up pretty hard it looks like, especially on the second screenshot, the lower clouds. And they also have something that looks like an outline of sorts? On the lower parts of the clouds. 

That's because these are rendered at 1/8 the screen resolution and upscaled temporally, otherwise bye framerate.

I kinda wanted input on the lighting/shading.

3 minutes ago, blackrack said:

That's because these are rendered at 1/8 the screen resolution and upscaled temporally, otherwise bye framerate.

Ahh, that makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I think it looks great. 

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

This looks a lot more realistic than before, I feel. Before, something on the lighting just felt off, but now it comes across as a realistic image.

That's not to say it didn't look stunning before!

Edited by Delay

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Testing some shading changes, I got skylight/ambient contribution working better and bumped the clouds up to a more realistic density to compensate. How do these look?

reuGzVZ.png

8QafvXY.png

Second one is giving me MFS2020 vibes. It looks incredible.

7 hours ago, blackrack said:

reuGzVZ.png

8QafvXY.png

What is the feasibility of adding lightning effects to the clouds? Like this: 

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Forked Camphor said:

Question @blackrack: Do you plan to also add cirrus clouds or all the cloud in this new version will look like the screenshots?

Yes

2 hours ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

giphy.gif

It's actually relatively easy, won't have it for the first release though to keep it manageable

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to do a proper 3D aurora shader with this kind of tech. The 2D auroras looked good only in very strict conditions. 

1 hour ago, blackrack said:
3 hours ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

giphy.gif

Expand  

It's actually relatively easy, won't have it for the first release though to keep it manageable

18 hours ago, blackrack said:

8QafvXY.png

This looks very M$ FS, the lighting looks very good in the main bodies of the clouds. Looks pretty sensational if you can translate that directly into KSP in appearance. The shadows look natural, I wouldn't go much darker if at all if that's what you were thinking. EVE has always had incredibly dark and strong shadows which have looked very odd to me considering Kerbin's weather is generally pretty sunny and 'good'.

19 minutes ago, Lijazos said:

May I ask what is the expected performance impact compared to current EVE Redux?

It's a lot heavier, see this post and extrapolate with your GPU and resolution:

On 5/10/2022 at 11:35 PM, blackrack said:

On a 2080 super at 1440p:

Running at 200 fps from the ground and 120 when flying through the clouds.

A 1060 should be able to run it at 1080p with scatterer by my estimation, I also tested with a 1060 before but in unity.

20 minutes ago, blackrack said:

It's a lot heavier, see this post and extrapolate with your GPU and resolution:

Conveniently I do have a 1060 6gb, so we'll see. Hopefully we can give it a nice test soon :)

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

This looks very M$ FS, the lighting looks very good in the main bodies of the clouds. Looks pretty sensational if you can translate that directly into KSP in appearance. The shadows look natural, I wouldn't go much darker if at all if that's what you were thinking. EVE has always had incredibly dark and strong shadows which have looked very odd to me considering Kerbin's weather is generally pretty sunny and 'good'.

This is how it looks in-game, maybe shadows came out a bit darker because of the darker atmo

UCbgp7R.png

W5xrdQI.png

OOi24sP.png

j0TFc1U.png

c459e91.png

Pretty happy with the shading but they do still stand out from everything else

5 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Decided to go for a quick flight just after

keIB3Mm.png

zuq6onY.png

SWW8FHE.png

SzjCyqQ.png

fm3X7qL.png

mmcTW6p.png

CbLCpVR.png

Ended up landing in this picturesque meadow

PfdO7hM.png

Trees and grass by @Gameslinx

Amazing! I prefer the new shading you did than the old. It looks so nice! The sky looks so good now! Great Job Blackrack!

17 minutes ago, blackrack said:

PfdO7hM.png

This image, right there.
This just blows my mind. These clouds are gorgeous.

Which brings me to a minor question - would it be possible to include (purely optical) weather effects like rain or perhaps even snow? Because that might be the only thing at this point that could make images like this one even better!

Last couple of images for tonight, this time with a thicker atmosphere. Does this help them blend in better (ignore the weird shapes)?
12Tfksy.png

X5YOKIs.png

LCGWjlz.png

je80WOQ.png

3ol6mYo.png

34 minutes ago, Delay said:

This image, right there.
This just blows my mind. These clouds are gorgeous.

Which brings me to a minor question - would it be possible to include (purely optical) weather effects like rain or perhaps even snow? Because that might be the only thing at this point that could make images like this one even better!

I think the localized fog/mist setting I showed a few pages back would make for a pretty convincing rain if placed under a big cloud, darkened and given a downwards speed. I think I may add an option to either randomize or set periods for density that way the rain can be configured to come and go, we'll see.

Edited by blackrack

32 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Last couple of images for tonight, this time with a thicker atmosphere. Does this help them blend in better (ignore the weird shapes)?
12Tfksy.png

X5YOKIs.png

Yeah, that seems to have made the clouds blend better with the atmosphere; however, I think the biggest thing missing right now is the cloud shadows, the lack of which is especially noticeable in these two screenshots. 

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

12Tfksy.png

X5YOKIs.png

LCGWjlz.png

je80WOQ.png

3ol6mYo.png

I think the localized fog/mist setting I showed a few pages back would make for a pretty convincing rain if placed under a big cloud, darkened and given a downwards speed. I think I may add an option to either randomize or set periods for density that way the rain can be configured to come and go, we'll see.

something about the blend between the clouds and the ground is off.  I belive the colour of the shadow doesnt correlate with whats under it. 

Spoiler

Chuanxi-grassland-mountains-clouds-shado

stock-photo-gray-beautiful-clouds-over-t

Seems like it has to be darker 

Edited by SiCaRiO31