[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

I also have this bug with the night side being too bright.  It definitely seems related to EVE.  If I click Apply on any of the settings categories while in the Tracking Station (clouds, city lights, etc) causes those effects disappear entirely.  Sometimes they return if I exit and re-enter the view, sometimes I have to restart the game entirely.  I made no changes.  A side effect of this is that the city lights texture will disappear, and then can sometimes be reapplied as the actual lights.

It looks to me like there is an issue initializing / refreshing the textures, but that's a guess.

Note I have verified all game files and it didn't help, so a solution doesn't lie that way.

Can you point us at the description/fix for this, if it is an issue with the stock game's handling of textures?

See images at https://imgur.com/a/lstpYIK

17 hours ago, MiloRanger said:

I also have this bug with the night side being too bright.  It definitely seems related to EVE.  If I click Apply on any of the settings categories while in the Tracking Station (clouds, city lights, etc) causes those effects disappear entirely.  Sometimes they return if I exit and re-enter the view, sometimes I have to restart the game entirely.  I made no changes.  A side effect of this is that the city lights texture will disappear, and then can sometimes be reapplied as the actual lights.

It looks to me like there is an issue initializing / refreshing the textures, but that's a guess.

Note I have verified all game files and it didn't help, so a solution doesn't lie that way.

Can you point us at the description/fix for this, if it is an issue with the stock game's handling of textures?

See images at https://imgur.com/a/lstpYIK

Can you show this in motion? This looks like a stock bug of the scaled shader but I could be wrong, again the screenshots can't show much. Show it in motion, if it changes with viewing angle, while zooming in/out, from the ground etc

Edited:NVM it seems I get this issue occasionally and it's caused by city lights and scatterer eclipses interaction.

Edited by blackrack

39 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Nope, update scatterer and you're in for a good surprise..

Maybe it is a stock bug after all.  I have updated versions of both scatterer and EVE installed and still getting it. I'm pretty sure I posted this a long time ago, but if the stock reflection shader is disabled, the whiteness disappears. 

Spoiler

1YuN7Zl.pngr0fm3Xu.png

39 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

Maybe it is a stock bug after all.  I have updated versions of both scatterer and EVE installed and still getting it. I'm pretty sure I posted this a long time ago, but if the stock reflection shader is disabled, the whiteness disappears. 

Reveal hidden contents

1YuN7Zl.pngr0fm3Xu.png

Yeah, that's not the same issue that is shown here: https://imgur.com/a/lstpYIK

That's indeed the stock bug and why I confused the two issues at the start.

11 hours ago, Delay said:

...but at what cost? Don't tell me this amazing effect can be pulled off with no performance bottlenecks.

This will be expensive can't tell you how expensive yet because I'm still working on it. Probably about as expensive as scatterer on highest or more.

11 hours ago, dok_377 said:

And don't tell me it's going to only work in 1.12 if it ever gets released. 

2 hours ago, ballisticfox0 said:

Depends if it uses new unity features or not.

Thing is this should be compatible with other KSP versions, but you'll need the latest version for scatterer integration when this comes out, so 1.12+ for that...

59 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Does the opacity of the cloud cover at any given position depend on the opacity of the pixel of the scaled space texture? 

Asking the practical questions I see :D I'm still working on a system which will take an equivalent of the scaled space texture for cloud cover and "spice it up" with procedural textures for cloud cover and cloud types, or just use procedural all the way but nothing is decided yet.

Edited by blackrack

On 12/25/2021 at 3:30 PM, blackrack said:

Thing is this should be compatible with other KSP versions, but you'll need the latest version for scatterer integration when this comes out, so 1.12+ for that…

So no cloud scattering for these babies with MSAA on the ship? Bummer. Still, fantastic to see you doing this even if I can’t personally take advantage of how good it looks!

Does someone have a tip how to adjust a config that volumetric clouds are not as bright at night compared to the 2-d cloud layer? Or how to make them same brightness? The 2d-layer becomes practically invisible in the dark whereas the volumetric particles stand out quite a bit at night. I also use scatterer maybe it is related to that?

2 hours ago, Benzo Kerman said:

Very excited for the new volumetric clouds. When they are released, will the mod still be maintained as EVE Redux or something else, as these clouds are so different from the original EVE?

The current plan is to add these in EVE redux and maintain all the old features. Probably call these true volumetrics, or raymarched volumetrics or something like that.

On 12/30/2021 at 12:02 PM, Alioth81 said:

Does someone have a tip how to adjust a config that volumetric clouds are not as bright at night compared to the 2-d cloud layer? Or how to make them same brightness? The 2d-layer becomes practically invisible in the dark whereas the volumetric particles stand out quite a bit at night. I also use scatterer maybe it is related to that?

It is actually a limitation of eve redux's rendering that the volumetrics only become grayish and don't get completely dark at night, only real difference from the old eve. There are some variables in scatterer you can try to mess with from the UI that control the brightness of the 2d clouds and volumetrics separately, these were added for finetuning as scatterer changes the lighting on the clouds completely.

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

The current plan is to add these in EVE redux and maintain all the old features. Probably call these true volumetrics, or raymarched volumetrics or something like that.

Ah, ok. Thanks, and keep up the amazing work!

im having an issue with the mod, that has been around for a long long while but isnt very noticable. its still in the mod, so i thought it mention it since apparently nobody noticed:

when using the alphamap function, shown below,  eve takes a texture without alpha, and converts a color channel of choice to the cloud transparency.

unknown.png

however, the volumelayer does not use this properly. it recognises the texture, but instead of treating the color channel like an alpha one, it treats the texture as it would if no alphamap were applied, shown below: the clouds are black, when they should be transparent.

(the sky above the ksc is clear)

(theres black clouds above the ksc)

heres the texture if that helps:
unknown.png

thanks in advance. also it would be cool if you added the alphamap to detail textures as well