[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

Some very quick tests of using the new system to make localized fog and a dust storm, haven't really tuned these

Woah- I could just see that dust storm on Duna, it would add a little interest to that place!

12 minutes ago, Benzo Kerman said:

Woah- I could just see that dust storm on Duna, it would add a little interest to that place!

That's the idea, the fact that Duna doesn't have an ocean is "free real estate" for performance so I'll spam a bunch of these.

Great looking clouds, looking forward to getting to fly through them!

Now, I know nothing about how these volumetric clouds work so this might be a dumb question, but would it be possible to do something similar with smoke (a separate mod ofc)? Maybe vapor cones, explosions and reentry effects too? I have no idea if any of that is possible but it would be really, really cool. 

16 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

It would be cool if duststorms could delete footprints or add some event in case of lifesupport mod is installed.

Yeah um, let's keep a reasonable scope for now :D

14 hours ago, Just a random person said:

Now, I know nothing about how these volumetric clouds work so this might be a dumb question, but would it be possible to do something similar with smoke (a separate mod ofc)? Maybe vapor cones, explosions and reentry effects too? I have no idea if any of that is possible but it would be really, really cool. 

All possible in theory but they come with their own challenges. I have ideas for smoke trails mostly, but we'll see about that later.

4 hours ago, MrPoker said:

also I kind of want a 2d cloud layer representing cirrus

Layer thickness will be customizable so you can probably make one that's super thin. Also I think the old system will also be retained for backwards-compatibility and low graphics settings

Just now, Vandest said:

Those from in high atmosphere looks a little weird but may be it cause by all clouds have same settings ?

There's a bit of that but something else feels off, not sure what. Maybe the lack of shadows, the scale is a bit off and contrast with the planet textures. Either way will do more tests later.

Last quick shots from tonight. I'll probably need to manually paint some maps and distribute more varied cloud types to make it feel less static/samey. You can see a quick try with some cumulonimbus in the first shot

fblSeyn.png

DeRIBWw.png

59 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Looks like having a huge impact on the FPS... ?!

On a 2080 super at 1440p:

Running at 200 fps from the ground and 120 when flying through the clouds.

A 1060 should be able to run it at 1080p with scatterer by my estimation, I also tested with a 1060 before but in unity.

Edited by blackrack

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

Some test images, distribution and shapes still feel underwhelming and are still a wip but here's some orbit shots

Dude this asctually looks so good! I'm so excited for the release :D

On the subject of them looking a bit samey- maybe larger individual cloud formations would help?

BallisticFox on Linx's discord server made a photoshopped concept of what would it look like if the Volumetric clouds combine with the New Scatter System (a new upcoming mods that adds grass etc. that will be in Parallax)  by Linx and it's breathlessImage

1 hour ago, MrPoker said:

BallisticFox on Linx's discord server made a photoshopped concept of what would it look like if the Volumetric clouds combine with the New Scatter System (a new upcoming mods that adds grass etc. that will be in Parallax)  by Linx and it's breathlessImage

this is going to be insane!!!! :o

5 hours ago, blackrack said:

Last quick shots from tonight. I'll probably need to manually paint some maps and distribute more varied cloud types to make it feel less static/samey. You can see a quick try with some cumulonimbus in the first shot

Cumulonimbus in KSP, a dream ! :happy:

5 hours ago, blackrack said:

A 1060 should be able to run it at 1080p with scatterer by my estimation, I also tested with a 1060 before but in unity.

My 1060 will must accept this clouds, no choice. But most of time my gpu is under 60% on ksp 1080p (it's rather one of cores of my cpu that suffering with ksp).

I will see (I can't wait)

3 hours ago, MrPoker said:

KSP2 really need to exist ? :sticktongue:

3 hours ago, MrPoker said:

That one was made by Linx, the one below was by me. Anyways hype train continue..

edit.png

8 hours ago, blackrack said:

fblSeyn.png

DeRIBWw.png

Are these sorts of clouds only going to be rendered in a low-medium orbit, and the old method used above a certain altitude?

2 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Are these sorts of clouds only going to be rendered in a low-medium orbit, and the old method used above a certain altitude?

This question gets asked a lot so I should probably put a FAQ section up already.

Yes there will be fades and it will be configurable so it will be able fade and switch between methods at configured altitudes.