[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

16 hours ago, blackrack said:

You still need a certain resolution map for best results, and although a single 4096 texture is enough for stock sized planets, RSS-scale will probably need higher res maps.

Though even with very low res maps you won't see pixelated clouds, instead the distribution will look somewhat uniform.

Do you need a fixed texture or just a map with values that can change over time? Could it work with data from Kerbal Weather Project?

16 hours ago, blackrack said:

You still need textures for map view but those don't have to be 64k

Yeah, I just installed Ad Astra with 8k textures, and while it looks meh in vessel view from LKO, it looks wonderful in map view. Anyway, I guess that one needs to be a fixed texture?

2 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Yeah, I just installed Ad Astra with 8k textures, and while it looks meh in vessel view from LKO, it looks wonderful in map view. Anyway, I guess that one needs to be a fixed texture?

I suspect my technique for Dynamic Clouds is going to be valuable here. It depends on what the altitude cut offs are for the volumetrics before it fades out into the 2D texture, but I've been able to push the fidelity of clouds pretty far in 2D, and in some of the shots I can even get a little close to faking the volumetric effect. At actual map view heights it won't provide that much benefit, but the middle orbits may see some improvements. 

6 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Do you need a fixed texture or just a map with values that can change over time? Could it work with data from Kerbal Weather Project?

Could work with dynamic maps but there's no such thing in kwp at the moment, see here

There is only some data around launch sites.

56 minutes ago, blackrack said:

You have data like this in the format of images or video in high resolution?

I don't about the internals of KWP and what the resolution is, I'm talking about this (screenshot from the original thread) - "total cloud cover" is some 36%:

32d23e_f91415416bd0459a9eaca66045d2a506~

We probably don't need 1 or 5 years of weather data. For the clouds, it just needs to nicely wrap around, and should not be in resonance with launch windows, so we still have different weather (and clouds) for every launch. Maybe 7 days, or 29, or whatever.

16 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I don't about the internals of KWP and what the resolution is, I'm talking about this (screenshot from the original thread) - "total cloud cover" is some 36%:

32d23e_f91415416bd0459a9eaca66045d2a506~

We probably don't need 1 or 5 years of weather data. For the clouds, it just needs to nicely wrap around, and should not be in resonance with launch windows, so we still have different weather (and clouds) for every launch. Maybe 7 days, or 29, or whatever.

If I remember correctly this info is only available at launch sites and not on the whole planet.

But yeah apart from that there are several other obstacles with using KWP data, but also the data itself is difficult to generate and good luck with generating it for custom planets and non earth-like ones.

Edited by blackrack

@blackrack Bro I've been out of this game for years but just saw a Reddit post with the volumetric clouds and was thinking it had to be photoshopped, followed the links back here and my jaw is on the ground. Bravo sir, this is honestly mind blowing, Ive just been sat here waiting for ksp 2 to eventually drop not realize the pure wizardry you're doing 

A bug? i have encountered, EVE wont save cloud colour settings no matter what i do, click apply then save in EVE Cloud manager,  it shows it how is supposed to be
iIPtZDH.png
But if i even return to space center and go back to the tracking station, i just makes all clouds white,
FcBR21c.png

So i can seem to get any dust stroms working :c

12 hours ago, Vphurple Izumi said:

A bug? i have encountered, EVE wont save cloud colour settings no matter what i do, click apply then save in EVE Cloud manager,  it shows it how is supposed to be
But if i even return to space center and go back to the tracking station, i just makes all clouds white,

So i can seem to get any dust stroms working :c

When you first reapply the clouds the scatterer integration gets lost and that's what you're seeing, until you change scenes and it resets.

Just tweak the associated cloud scattering colors in scatterer or disable the scatterer-eve integration for duna if you prefer that look. Refer to the scatterer wiki for those settings.

12 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

When it comes to the existing visual packs that use EVE ( AVP, Spectra, ect ) will they need to be reconfigured/updated for the volumetric clouds?

Yeah they will need to be reconfigured, and some work is needed for best results, if you just drop in the existing clouds textures as they are you will be disappointed with the results.

11 hours ago, RedSpace said:

Will the lighting coming off of rocket engines be reflected/shown on the clouds or would that be too difficult to implement?

Lights integration can be done though not an important feature to me, maybe later on I could add it, in which case you'd just have to install the engine lighting mod and they'd automatically apply on the clouds. Likely will only support point lights due to technical limitations (no spotlights).

Edited by blackrack

10 hours ago, blackrack said:

When you first reapply the clouds the scatterer integration gets lost and that's what you're seeing, until you change scenes and it resets.

Just tweak the associated cloud scattering colors in scatterer or disable the scatterer-eve integration for duna if you prefer that look. Refer to the scatterer wiki for those settings.

Thank you for the pointers after a bit of reading up on the wiki i got it work,
wAghH4c.png

Those volumetric clouds are quite phenomenal, kudos for the amazing work. When I opened the VAB editor for the first time in KSP, I noted the  nice-looking clouds in the background and then wondered "Why is there no clouds like this on the outside of the VAB?". That was years ago when I was little.

Edited by Chandra Aerospace

9 hours ago, thepres1s_Stuff said:

@blackrack For the volumetric clouds, any chance for Tornadoes and Hurricanes? (probably no wind unless kwp can put it in)

This would be rather a matter of  @cmet24 's KWP - some strong vertical winds would be great for gliding/ soaring planes. It would be nice if it was somehow integrated with @blackrack's EVE true volumetric clouds config so that they generate in stormy areas. Perhaps we'll see this someday.

On 9/25/2022 at 3:34 AM, thepres1s_Stuff said:

@blackrack For the volumetric clouds, any chance for Tornadoes and Hurricanes? (probably no wind unless kwp can put it in)

I'm planning to add a decal system that will allow to mix multiple dynamic elements ino the same layer, for hurricanes, clouds appearing and disappearing and moving/rotating in different directions etc... But it won't be for the first release.

I swear I remember seeing cloud shadows from orbit at some point. Has this been changed? Im just using BoulderCo, but there was none with AVP either. Edit: They do seem to to appear on land, but not over water.

Edited by Motokid600

14 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

I swear I remember seeing cloud shadows from orbit at some point. Has this been changed? Im just using BoulderCo, but there was none with AVP either. Edit: They do seem to to appear on land, but not over water.

Cloud shadows are still there, they don't appear on the surface of scatterer water however.

5 hours ago, CalvonVulcan said:

When Will the true volemetrics be done, like What do you Think the time Will be before its done

The new release will include a free copy of HL-3, does that assist you with timeline calculations?

(you have kursed the group an awakened the Kracken ...}