[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

56 minutes ago, blackrack said:

x16 is what flight simulator and many other titles use, I do find it more distracting than the performance increase is worth over x8 (at least for me and my setup), but the option is there if you need it.

Yeah I tried it at 1x and it is delicious, by my laptop 3060 wasn't too happy about it.

Hopefully I'll be building a future-proof PC soon with a 3090 to start so that luxury will have to wait.

Side note: Installed KSP again soley to run ray marched clouds and I forgot how CPU intensive KSP is just in general, especially with paralax and multiple parts in play (nothing to do with the clouds) but it reminded me it's time to upgrade.

Also @blackrack been meaning to get back with some reports but honestly I'm still working on getting my head around how how incredible these clouds are, like it's not just the visuals, but how it changes the entire landscape being explored. It's truly stunning. I found it funny I remember thinking how amazing it would be for the in-VAB/SPH clouds to be that good in-game, now they're literally better..

4 hours ago, robisnow said:

this is stunning, im willing to patreon for it, i just want to check does guidance come with it?
im terribly afraid of manual installs, as i always use CKAN
would i need to uninstall via ckan, and then do manual installs?

Just uninstall the existing mods via ckan (Scatterer, EVE, BoulderCO, AVP or other configs if you use them) then the manual install is just a drag and drop.

On 1/19/2023 at 11:45 AM, pingopete said:

Yeah I tried it at 1x and it is delicious, by my laptop 3060 wasn't too happy about it.

1x is HARD.  My 3090 based rig can just barely do that at 1080p and 60FPS...

Fortunately, 4x is nearly visually identical at up to like 1440p in practice.  The only real difference between it and 1x is very minor motion artifacts.  8x is also close, and very reasonable as a default for a wide range of cards.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:22 PM, AccidentalDisassembly said:

@blackrack Looked great in the pictures, then figured... sure, why not, I've never patreon-ed anyone before. Result? Holy mother of pearl, it's a masterpiece. Well done.

As I told blackrack, this is a masterpiece and he's fully earned every patreon for his efforts on the preview.  Gratz man.

2 hours ago, Space Scumbag said:

I made a Duna Dust Storm focused video. And the other planets/moons will follow. :)

Looking forward to see the rest!

15 hours ago, R-T-B said:

1x is HARD.  My 3090 based rig can just barely do that at 1080p and 60FPS...

Fortunately, 4x is nearly visually identical at up to like 1440p in practice.  The only real difference between it and 1x is very minor motion artifacts.  8x is also close, and very reasonable as a default for a wide range of cards.

As I told blackrack, this is a masterpiece and he's fully earned every patreon for his efforts on the preview.  Gratz man.

Thanks man!

Blackrack, are you more focused on having a baseline baseline config, similar to the current version of EVE, and leaving the more complex configs up to the other modmakers out there (see AVP, Spectra, etc.), or do you want to make your own complex config to meet the standards set by mods like AVP or Spectra?

I can already see that you're approaching aspects that weren't in the old default EVE config, like the sandstorms on Duna and rain on Kerbin, so I was wondering if you plan on continuing that further at all.

Just curious :)

Edited by KSACheese
expanding scope

16 minutes ago, KSACheese said:

Blackrack, are you more focused on having a baseline baseline config, similar to the current version of EVE, and leaving the more complex configs up to the other modmakers out there (see AVP, Spectra, etc.), or do you want to make your own complex config to meet the standards set by mods like AVP or Spectra?

I can already see that you're approaching aspects that weren't in the old default EVE config, like the sandstorms on Duna and rain on Kerbin, so I was wondering if you plan on continuing that further at all.

Just curious :)

I want to go with what feels right to me for every planet, while also having a few memorable "landmarks" on every planet. Rain on Kerbin and sandstorms on Duna just feel like natural extensions that do just that. Many of the existing visual packs are a bit overstaturated with flashy layers and effects to my taste (and this is not a diss against anyone) and it feels like they lose that natural feeling.

3 hours ago, dimdarkness0 said:

A suggestion I have to to add more weather events like a tornado.  And including the thunder cloud/supercell with it. It would be really cool

This will most likely be added in future update as he still working on volumetric clouds but he is open to the idea.

Joined as a Patron, still a little lost on the install process, hoping someone who has successfully installed this can explain.  There are comments that other mods like boulderco which i deduced is the original eve needs to be removed, but the #1 post also says that configs from the original eve are needed?  Doesn't detail where these go and being someone who's on vanilla with no understanding yet of how the mods are actually implemented, don't know how to move forward.  

1 hour ago, EchoHeadache said:

Joined as a Patron, still a little lost on the install process, hoping someone who has successfully installed this can explain.  There are comments that other mods like boulderco which i deduced is the original eve needs to be removed, but the #1 post also says that configs from the original eve are needed?  Doesn't detail where these go and being someone who's on vanilla with no understanding yet of how the mods are actually implemented, don't know how to move forward.  

No configs are needed, remove everything and just use what's in the download. If you're referring to the forum thread, these are instructions to use the regular EVE-Redux with the old EVE configs

1 hour ago, Pxtseryu said:

Joined as a Patron and tried installing the new volumetric clouds. They break for me and the entire atmosphere becomes black. I am on a M1 Mac - I presume this is due to some software incompatibility?

Macs aren't supported yet, message me on Patreon for a solution.

Edited by blackrack