[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

blackrack, I think you just made the ksp 2 clouds look bad, amazing work as always, I've been doing the Patreon build for a while now, and I have yet to have issues. Take my money lol, I'm not unsubscribing for a few months at least if not way more.  -A overly happy condensed water vapor enjoyer.

On 1/22/2023 at 2:17 PM, blackrack said:

No configs are needed, remove everything and just use what's in the download. If you're referring to the forum thread, these are instructions to use the regular EVE-Redux with the old EVE configs

I went a step further and just did a fresh install and only used what's in the download folder and put it in the GameData folder. When KSP loads there's zero clouds. I thought maybe I needed module manager, so I downloaded it and put the .dll file in GamaData, but still the same thing. I get this message with Eve...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ByPn1CCfOCpaj8031BmL5qYgmTPZNIPs/view?usp=sharing

10 hours ago, Ninemeister said:

I went a step further and just did a fresh install and only used what's in the download folder and put it in the GameData folder. When KSP loads there's zero clouds. I thought maybe I needed module manager, so I downloaded it and put the .dll file in GamaData, but still the same thing. I get this message with Eve...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ByPn1CCfOCpaj8031BmL5qYgmTPZNIPs/view?usp=sharing

Can you show what your GameData folder looks like?

10 hours ago, JKerman said:

Is there currently a way to create your own configs? If not, are there plans for documentation/tutorials in the future? I'd love to do custom clouds for the exoplanets I have installed.

There is this for the new clouds https://github.com/LGhassen/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/wiki

I don't have a tutorial or documentation on how to use the rest though, but just poking around in the UI is usually enough to figure it out.

12 hours ago, TheLoneOne said:

blackrack, I think you just made the ksp 2 clouds look bad, amazing work as always, I've been doing the Patreon build for a while now, and I have yet to have issues. Take my money lol, I'm not unsubscribing for a few months at least if not way more.  -A overly happy condensed water vapor enjoyer.

Thank you, I'm very pleased at how it's all working and how there hasn't been any major issues reported.

Edited by blackrack

On 1/22/2023 at 2:17 PM, blackrack said:

No configs are needed, remove everything and just use what's in the download. If you're referring to the forum thread, these are instructions to use the regular EVE-Redux with the old EVE configs

I don't think I understand what's going on. I downloaded this one instead since it's the only other one listed, but now no EVE option and still no clouds....

"Configs (not needed for the Patreon release):

Configs are to be downloaded from the default EVE config:https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/download/EVE-1.2.2-1/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Configs-1.2.2.1.zip or your favourite visual pack"

That one installed the BoulderCo folder. I thought there was only one folder need to be installed and it works?

I removed the previous files and installed the folders within "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]"  and  "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Configs-1.2.2.1.zip "  

I got the EVE manager back as well as few random wispy clouds, but within the Config Editor it just "Invalid Name!" next to the Kerbin-clouds1 file name.

I'm working on a new RSS-EVO config for the volumetric clouds but still a lot of testing and tweaking required and to be honest you need a powerful GPU ;)  (this video has been recorded with a Ryzen 5800x3d|RTX 3080|64 GB DDR4 ). I'm using a 3 cloud layers plus mix of worley and perlin noIse, looking at the cloud types so far my favorite so far is the cirrus one, it look much more photo-realistic for RSS.

Edited by jrodriguez

7 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

I'm working on a new RSS-EVO config for the volumetric clouds but still a lot of testing and tweaking required and to be honest you need a powerful GPU ;)  (this video has been recorded with a Ryzen 5800x3d|RTX 3080|64 GB DDR4 ). I'm using a 3 cloud layers plus mix of worley and perlin noIse, looking at the cloud types so far my favorite so far is the cirrus one, it look much more photo-realistic for RSS.

Glad you're enjoying this.

I'd recommend increasing the number of light samples here, or reducing the light sampling distance, the cloud lighting looks a bit flat.

You'll also want to break up the repetition in your noise by adding variety/detail to your coveragemap, but that's a lot more work as you said.

For RSS consider increasing the max step size to keep performance reasonable.

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Glad you're enjoying this.

I'd recommend increasing the number of light samples here, or reducing the light sampling distance, the cloud lighting looks a bit flat.

You'll also want to break up the repetition in your noise by adding variety/detail to your coveragemap, but that's a lot more work as you said.

For RSS consider increasing the max step size to keep performance reasonable.

Thanks for the feedback! I have been looking at the code to see if I could find some info of what does what and I ended up reading some papers regarding the Raymarching and Noise generation lol. 

And regarding the coverage map I might need your help with some doubts:

-  I was using a huge clouds cube map texture  as coverage map - actually the one that EVO/RSSVE was using previously as the 64k 2d layer texture, and it "works" although as you mention it does not include a noise pattern as the one that you have for the stock volumetric cloud. So I was thinking to convert the 64k clouds texture to a equirectangular texture and then using Photoshop/Gimp to add some noise pattern the clouds?

- I was playing with other cloud layer textures and even if they look white/black it seems the alpha channel does not seems to work as I'd expect because it projects shadows everywhere and if I use it as the upper layer then the  lower cloud layers are getting shadows even if there is no clouds above. This also happens with the clouds 64k cubemap which is a green alpha.

1 hour ago, jrodriguez said:

Thanks for the feedback! I have been looking at the code to see if I could find some info of what does what and I ended up reading some papers regarding the Raymarching and Noise generation lol. 

And regarding the coverage map I might need your help with some doubts:

-  I was using a huge clouds cube map texture  as coverage map - actually the one that EVO/RSSVE was using previously as the 64k 2d layer texture, and it "works" although as you mention it does not include a noise pattern as the one that you have for the stock volumetric cloud. So I was thinking to convert the 64k clouds texture to a equirectangular texture and then using Photoshop/Gimp to add some noise pattern the clouds?

- I was playing with other cloud layer textures and even if they look white/black it seems the alpha channel does not seems to work as I'd expect because it projects shadows everywhere and if I use it as the upper layer then the  lower cloud layers are getting shadows even if there is no clouds above. This also happens with the clouds 64k cubemap which is a green alpha.

The wiki gives a short overview of what the raymarching settings do and how to optimize performance, is it not clear enough?

For your other questions:

1. Probably simpler if you keep the clouds as cubemaps, generate noise as equirectangular, transform the noise into cubemap faces then overlay those on your cloud cubemaps (test on one face I guess to make sure you like the results)
  2. Use the alphacubemap type and select the alphamap_g for green alpha
Edited by blackrack

5 hours ago, pingopete said:

Here's a little compilation I made, stunning work again blackrack

... Good God man. This up there with Flight Sim and all the top games that push visual fidelity. Y'all have outdone yourselves.

Edited by Motokid600

6 hours ago, pingopete said:

Here's a little compilation I made, stunning work again blackrack

Jaw on the floor. I just wonder what beauty you can capture also on Eve and other planets. It really makes you think about what alien weather would look like and how unique and incredible it would be to witness. It takes exploration up to 11.

1 hour ago, DrBelupo said:

@blackrack Can you give us approximate time when will volumetric cloud mod launch free. I know you are still working on it so i wont hurry you, but I really want to know when will it release. Thank you for your work.

Out of curiosity, did you join the forum because you saw the new volumetric clouds somewhere? @DrBelupo

16 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Out of curiosity, did you join the forum because you saw the new volumetric clouds somewhere? @DrBelupo

Yes, I saw the clouds when i was watching yt reels, so I was curious and i found this place. I played ksp when i was little and I was addicted to it, but when i was younger, i didnt know much about orbital mechanics. But now when i'm older, now i understand. When i saw clouds in mod, it blew my mind. So im trying to find out when will it release so wish me luck.

Edited by DrBelupo

1 hour ago, DrBelupo said:

@blackrack Can you give us approximate time when will volumetric cloud mod launch free. I know you are still working on it so i wont hurry you, but I really want to know when will it release. Thank you for your work.

On 12/15/2022 at 3:34 PM, pingopete said:

I know everyone's hyped as hell for this, as am I, but let's all just remember that this is a free mod being developed by someone in their own personal time, for fun.

As someone who has released mods I can say that having people expect and push for deadlines really turns the project into a job rather than a fun project, and this can put modders off working on the mod itself.

Please be patient and let him work on this at his own pace when he feels like it; it's a personal project, not a job contract.

Would it be possible to make a one time donation to gain early access to this mod for a predetermined amount of time, rather than a patreon subscription? 

Unfortunately, finances have been tight in recent years and though I have some cash to spare now, I can’t justify paying for another monthly subscription as I am worried that these financial hard times may return at any time. I can, however, afford a one time donation, for example $9 (being worth two months subscription on your Patreon) as long as it’s not yet another monthly automatic payment, given the increasing push of major corporations to the subscription model in more and more aspects of life

I have seen what you have done over the years though, and followed scatters development since it first appeared on the forums, and your work has been nothing short of astonishing! I genuinely want to support you. I just don’t want to be stuck paying another subscription that I might forget to unsubscribe from when financially troubling times happen.