[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

First of all, thank you very much for all your amazing work on this KSP mod (and others), and the jaw-dropping visuals that you bring to the game!

So, I am encountering an issue where, while in a "shadow zone" (eclipse, dark side of a planet, and such), *ALL* sources of light are blocked out (even lights on the vessel that are turned on). I have been looking up and down through several threads and I think it's the same issue mentioned here (yep, I too can only see is my flag). Maybe it's just my mind feeling numb after all the searching and trying to understand, so please excuse me if I ask again something already answered... (I did try, I assure you!)

I am using EVE-Redux 1.11.6.1 with BoulderCo config 1.2.2.1, as well as Scatterer 0.0835 (and KSP 1.12.3.3173) - all latest versions at the time.
Is this issue unavoidable, or is there some setting I can change to avoid it?
If a way to avoid this is using something other than the BoulderCo visual config, can someone suggest another one that is light-weight and has the night city-lights thingy?

Thanks again!
alf (alartor)

1 hour ago, jos1151 said:

There hasn't really been a new post here in a while regarding the development of the volumetric clouds.

Has discussion moved somewhere else or has there just not been any new posts?

My understanding is 2 things happened.

1.) Blackrack got COVID, which slowed him down a bit

2.) He suffered a bit of a coding burn out.

Of the two, @blackrack on discord told me 2 is the most significant challenge right now.  I'm sure he'll come back to this (he's been through similar things before), but right now he is just struggling finding motivation to finish.  Remember, we all do this for free, so lets be supportive.

Edited by R-T-B

7 hours ago, Astra Infinitum said:

its paid now?

You can also compile it yourself :)

(don't try to compile blackrack's new clouds, it's been confirmed by him that he's left stuff out of the github on purpose to avoid people complaining about bugs he already knows about)

Edited by ballisticfox0

On 7/8/2022 at 11:47 AM, R-T-B said:

My understanding is 2 things happened.

1.) Blackrack got COVID, which slowed him down a bit

2.) He suffered a bit of a coding burn out.

Of the two, @blackrack on discord told me 2 is the most significant challenge right now.  I'm sure he'll come back to this (he's been through similar things before), but right now he is just struggling finding motivation to finish.  Remember, we all do this for free, so lets be supportive.

Sorry for you @blackrack. Look after yourself, go outdoor and enjoy the sun. After that, come back to us in great shape !

• 2 weeks later...

Salutations :)

I seem to have a bug with classic EVE style volumetrics; they only appear when Scatterer is also installed; if Scatterer isn't present, all volumetrics are missing from my cloud layers.

Examples of layers with volumetrics:

With EVE + Scatterer:

Spoiler

MDFNRZq.png

DSC97Su.png

qg6ISzk.png

With just EVE:

Spoiler

ruhKyJd.png

nbYj0W7.png

4dROqpZ.png

It's worth noting too that the physical layer is still visible, it's just the volumetric particles that are missing when Scatterer is missing. Is this a known issue, or perhaps there's something wrong with my configs?

Edited by HafCoJoe

1 hour ago, HafCoJoe said:

Salutations :)

I seem to have a bug with classic EVE style volumetrics; they only appear when Scatterer is also installed; if Scatterer isn't present, all volumetrics are missing from my cloud layers.

Examples of layers with volumetrics:

With EVE + Scatterer:

Reveal hidden contents

MDFNRZq.png

DSC97Su.png

qg6ISzk.png

With just EVE:

Hide contents

Not nruhKyJd.png

nbYj0W7.png

4dROqpZ.png

It's worth noting too that the physical layer is still visible, it's just the volumetric particles that are missing when Scatterer is missing. Is this a known issue, or perhaps there's something wrong with my configs?

Not a known issue. Are there any other visual mods installed like tufx? Seems like an interaction issue or maybe an outdated eve version.

15 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Not a known issue. Are there any other visual mods installed like tufx? Seems like an interaction issue or maybe an outdated eve version.

Not TUFX, though I am running Parallax, TextureReplacer, PlanetShine, Kerbal Konstructs, ReStock, Rocket Sounds, and Waterfall. I'll remove some things and see if anything happens.

Current EVE version: 
Environmental Visual Enhancements - Redux

Edited by HafCoJoe

The volumetrics still don't appear in a pure stock game with only EVE and Spectra:
w1oevii.png

And do appear with EVE, Spectra + Scatterer:
0nRI57X.png
(Apologies it's hard to see but they're there)

Edited by HafCoJoe

@blackrack I simplified the configs down to the absolute minimum to show this bug, and zipped it up to send over to you if you need something to help test; just one global Volumetric layer at 100m above Kerbin so you can load the game with Scatterer, and without it to see how it only shows up with:

Appearance with vs without Scatterer:

Spoiler

With Scatterer:
h8Y4cQa.png

Without Scatterer:
wx5YLZJ.jpg

Simple Config:
mbB6HVY.png
e1uc8Ue.png

(Sorry for the ping, I thought it worth the inclusion for this one)

Edited by HafCoJoe

There are so many different configurations for EVE and very little documentations, did you try something like this ? :

Spoiler
EVE_CLOUDS
{
    OBJECT
	{
		name = KerbinSurfaceFog
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 100
        speed = 0,10,0
		settings
		{
			_Color = 255,255,255,255
			_UVNoiseAnimation = 0,0
            _UVNoiseScale = 0
			_UVNoiseStrength = 0
			_MainTex
			{
				value = EVEVolumetricsTest/detail1
			}
			_DetailTex
			{
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			area = 8000,2
			followDetail = True
			particleMaterial
			{
				_Tex
				{
					value = EVEVolumetricsTest/rgb
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

I don't know if it will help, but your bug is very strange so you need to explore every lead.

Edited by Vandest

20 minutes ago, Vandest said:

There are so many different configurations for EVE and very little documentations, did you try something like this ? :

Hide contents
EVE_CLOUDS
{
    OBJECT
	{
		name = KerbinSurfaceFog
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 100
        speed = 0,10,0
		settings
		{
			_Color = 255,255,255,255
			_UVNoiseTex = AstronomersVisualPack/AVP_Configs/Textures/uvnoise1
			_UVNoiseAnimation = 0,0
            _UVNoiseScale = 0
			_UVNoiseStrength = 0
			_MainTex
			{
			}
			_DetailTex
			{
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			area = 8000,2
			followDetail = True
			particleMaterial
			{
				_Tex
				{
					value = EVEVolumetricsTest/rgb
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

I don't know if it will help, but your bug is very strange so you need to explore every lead.

I see a line in there from Astronomer's Visual pack — was that intended?

2 hours ago, Vandest said:

No, sorry mistake from me. I edited it. I especially wanted to draw your attention on this syntax :

_MainTex
{
}

Gotcha. I'll do some more quick tests when I've time again but I think I'll end up releasing the new Spectra update despite the lack of volume without Scatterer, since it's a fringe case when one is installed with without the other

Edited by HafCoJoe

I'm getting this NullRef Exception when leaving flight to the main menu, repeated four times before seeming to stop.

[EXC 01:51:22.857] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Atmosphere.CloudsPQS+<DelayedCheckForSphereInactive>d__28.MoveNext () (at <344479ccb68743409608815de7dc27b3>:0)
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[EXC 01:51:22.857] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Atmosphere.CloudsPQS+<DelayedCheckForSphereInactive>d__28.MoveNext () (at <344479ccb68743409608815de7dc27b3>:0)
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

KSP.log file, Exceptions are right near the bottom. I'm unsure if this is an EVE caused exception, but seeing Atmosphere.CloudsPQS gives me suspicions

1 hour ago, HafCoJoe said:

I'm getting this NullRef Exception when leaving flight to the main menu

I had this same error and I replaced Spectra with Environmental Visual Enhancements - Stock Planet Config files and the exceptions stopped. 

Edited:  I was watching TV and just now had a brain flash.  Long story short, I checked the MM cache file, and something is messing up my EVE_Clouds node.

At least now I know what I'm looking for.

Edited by Padrone
Slow neurons