[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

On 8/27/2022 at 9:51 AM, blackrack said:

I guess haven't updated anyone in a while so you all might think this project is dead. I haven't been very active in the summer but I'm getting back to working on volumetric clouds now and they are very much alive, though I still have a lot to do

Some random screenshots I took this week (though not showing any new features for now)

7tC0csL.png

E92IgXX.png

Take care of you first at all, we can wait ;) I wish you the best :) 

Couple of test shots:

u9MU26k.png

8RCSJBm.png

istK6rt.png

PMpO8m8.jpg

On 9/12/2022 at 1:02 AM, RedSpace said:

Will the volumetric clouds have an option to change the scatter and density, or at least have presets such as “Sunny, Partly Cloudy, Cloudy”? This would help when trying to make cinematic videos rather than praying the Cloud GodsTM are on your side.

Timewarp is your friend, you can easily go from this

NBz7UXC.png

To this

fSIPuBy.png

On 9/12/2022 at 10:33 PM, RW-1 said:

BR or anyone who knows,

City lights are fixed with Parallax, however how might one change the brightness level?

I don't remember seeing a setting like this for city lights, maybe edit the texture.

Edited by blackrack

27 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Couple of test shots:

u9MU26k.png

8RCSJBm.png

istK6rt.png

PMpO8m8.jpg

NBz7UXC.png

To this

fSIPuBy.png

I don't remember seeing a setting like this for city lights, maybe edit the texture.

Awwww so much beautiful :confused: Thank you for sharing your work in progress. You contribute a lot to make the game better !

1 hour ago, Merlin1809 said:

That is absolutely amazing! Will the clouds cast shadows too?

They will, at first they will reuse the current cloud shadow system until I can rework it. Also plan to have volumetric clouds receive shadows from at least one other layer, to have those sweet high altitude clouds casting shadows on the lower ones. Will share some images soon.

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Couple of test shots:

u9MU26k.png

8RCSJBm.png

istK6rt.png

PMpO8m8.jpg

NBz7UXC.png

To this

fSIPuBy.png

These look absolutely phenomenal! In all my years of playing KSP, I would never have thought I'd see the day where true volumetric clouds would be a reality, and especially look this good! You're doing God's work, Blackrack..

31 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Are clouds generated randomly or is there some underlying system? Would it be possible to create chemcontrails?

They are based on texture maps and configs. It can't do contrails but I plan to test making volumetric smoke/plumes with the system at some point, may try it then.

6 hours ago, blackrack said:

Couple of test shots:

u9MU26k.png

8RCSJBm.png

istK6rt.png

PMpO8m8.jpg

NBz7UXC.png

To this

fSIPuBy.png

i cannot wait for the clouds, i have been doing a "visual" (no parts) modded gameplay and i been wanting these clouds to come out for a long while now! i hope the release is soon

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

They are based on texture maps and configs. It can't do contrails but I plan to test making volumetric smoke/plumes with the system at some point, may try it then.

So the texture map just tells you WHERE to create the clouds, but the texture itself is not needed? So no need for either 64k texture maps or pixelated cloud layers?

7 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

So the texture map just tells you WHERE to create the clouds, but the texture itself is not needed? So no need for either 64k texture maps or pixelated cloud layers?

You still need a certain resolution map for best results, and although a single 4096 texture is enough for stock sized planets, RSS-scale will probably need higher res maps.

Though even with very low res maps you won't see pixelated clouds, instead the distribution will look somewhat uniform.

You still need textures for map view but those don't have to be 64k

5 hours ago, RedSpace said:

sorry if this is a dumb question, but will  these clouds work with RSS?

Yeah it will work

5 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Is there a way to turn City Lights off? I know before all one had to do was delete that DLL, but now I cannot find it.

It's still there

3 hours ago, Benzo Kerman said:

Is this shot taken from in cloud shadow? The lighting looks spot on if it is...

Sadly no, this is just how dim the game's lighting is by default, that adding the overcast layer on top completes the illusion.

30 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Sadly no, this is just how dim the game's lighting is by default, that adding the overcast layer on top completes the illusion.

Ah yes I see. I believe the new parallax update also lowers the ambient light level a bit, but I'm not sure.

22 hours ago, blackrack said:

Couple of test shots:

u9MU26k.png

8RCSJBm.png

istK6rt.png

PMpO8m8.jpg

NBz7UXC.png

To this

fSIPuBy.png

I didn't either, not a deal breaker by any means ...  :)