[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

1 hour ago, dok_377 said:

I had the same thing happen a couple of times recently. Don't know what's causing it, I played my career save for 100 hours already and it only started happening just now. I didn't check the flight scene to see if it also was completely black, though. 

11 hours ago, HansAcker said:

I interpret it to look like this:

Reveal hidden contents

qTn7ZrX.png

Reveal hidden contents

lg21APe.png

It only happens in my JNSQ install when I switch from a vessel back to the space center while the KSC is in the shadow.
Warping to morning brings the sun up as expected.

It didn't bother me enough to investigate further or play with settings.

I don't have a base on Kerbin to test with but I don't see it on other planets or moons.

Well, you could try disabling the "disable scaled space ambient light" option in Scatterer, it's supposed to be only active in scaled space but maybe you're getting a bug. If that's not the cause then I wouldn't really know, best to proceed by elimination until you find which mod causes it.

30 minutes ago, WarriorSabe said:

Note that this is dependent on performance. Like, on my laptop I'm certainly not getting 60fps, and while the framerate itself still looks fine, it also means the taa looks awful whenever anything moves on the screen because it takes like a fifth of a second to catch up

That's one downside of temporal techniques, and while there alternatives to TAA you can use like SMAA and FXAA, for clouds temporal upscaling is an essential optimization that you won't find an alternative for.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Well, you could try disabling the "disable scaled space ambient light" option in Scatterer, it's supposed to be only active in scaled space but maybe you're getting a bug. If that's not the cause then I wouldn't really know, best to proceed by elimination until you find which mod causes it.

I will if it keeps happening, right now it doesn't really bother me that much. 

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

for clouds temporal upscaling is an essential optimization that you won't find an alternative for.

Well, at least there the softness of the clouds should help hide the tearing caused by TAA; it's sharp edges that are most affected

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific and included screenshots, will put it up when I can.

It is the (I believe) ambient light onto the modules from the fixed lights I placed on my station, nothing wrong with Kerbin, city lights, etc. Light points referred to the actual lamp placed.

I believe I have temporal turned off for parallax, as causing some other issues, don't remember if that's when this issue began though.

simple enough to remove a mod at a time to narrow it down :)

Update: Seems deleting the module manager cache files fixed whatever was happening  ... Nice Idea Thanks!

Edited by RW-1
syntax

On 11/24/2022 at 9:47 PM, blackrack said:

That's one downside of temporal techniques, and while there alternatives to TAA you can use like SMAA and FXAA, for clouds temporal upscaling is an essential optimization that you won't find an alternative for.

Unfortunately TXAA has an issue where we get depth infighting in some cases - though mainly in mods. I've most noticed it with Waterfall and the flag decales on Restock/+. But this is an issue better raised for Scatterer I feel.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:17 AM, Ilya_G said:

Hopefully, the new update won't require RTX4090 to work...

I know the mod is developed on an RTX 2080 Super (because said development card was once mine, before I posted it to him during the GPU shortage), but I'm pretty sure his target "playability" point is well below that.  I'd say 1080ish performance is a good bet.

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I'd say 1080ish performance is a good bet.

And if you have a lower-tier card like me you're probably used to low framerates so it might still work there too as long as you're a little more generous with your definition of working

11 minutes ago, WarriorSabe said:

And if you have a lower-tier card like me you're probably used to low framerates so it might still work there too as long as you're a little more generous with your definition of working

I'm guessing there will be multiple presets (I think I read blackrack mention these?), so there might be some low ones for those of us still rocking low 1000's.

And if not I don't care, 15 fps it is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 11:47 PM, blackrack said:

Anyway, I've finished everything I needed for a first version on the tech side. I'm now making configs so I can release something, hence the above video.

Actually, when is the update planned to be released?According to you, all the main work has already been completed and it remains only to finish the configs. I suppose it could have been done in 2 weeks.

On 11/30/2022 at 7:45 AM, MARL_Mk1 said:

I'm guessing there will be multiple presets (I think I read blackrack mention these?), so there might be some low ones for those of us still rocking low 1000's.

That's how it should be. I can't say anything about EVE (especially about the new version), but Scatterer from the same person has several levels of picture quality settings (Very low -> Low -> Medium -> High -> Very High). I think EVE should get something like this.

On 11/30/2022 at 2:10 AM, R-T-B said:

I'd say 1080ish performance is a good bet.

Note: The definition of the word "performance" is quite subjective, especially in relation to KSP...

21 minutes ago, Ilya_G said:

Actually, when is the update planned to be released?According to you, all the main work has already been completed and it remains only to finish the configs. I suppose it could have been done in 2 weeks.

If you could stop asking me for a release date that'd help.

Edited by blackrack

God damn this is an absolute monster of an achievement dude, you should be proud. The Dunian sandstorm also blows my mind, I never would've thought of that :o

Any idea how transferable something like this would be to engine smoke effects, in light of a question a few pages back asking about lighting from engines? I ask because something I've always hated about KSP's engine smoke particles is that they have a constant brightness totally independent of the time of day.

2 hours ago, Ilya_G said:

I suppose it could have been done in 2 weeks.

lol

Edited by Bartybum

3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Any idea how transferable something like this would be to engine smoke effects, in light of a question a few pages back asking about lighting from engines? I ask because something I've always hated about KSP's engine smoke particles is that they have a constant brightness totally independent of the time of day.

Look at this (Waterfall). And this (Real Plume)

On 12/9/2022 at 11:42 AM, Bartybum said:

God damn this is an absolute monster of an achievement dude, you should be proud. The Dunian sandstorm also blows my mind, I never would've thought of that :o

lol

Thank you.

It's not transferable in its current state, I have some ideas for the future to do just that but I have yet to experiment with them.

On 11/19/2022 at 2:06 PM, blackrack said:

Testing configs, don't mind the mismatching colors

Looks amazing so far. It'd be really cool if it stopped solar panels from recieving much light, but don't know if that's possible?

Edited by Othy

20 minutes ago, Quadub said:

Is there at least an approximate release date for an update with volumetric clouds?

Welcome to the forums.  As you can see a few posts above yours, this question has already been asked.  We must be patient.  It will be released when blackrack is ready.

On 12/9/2022 at 3:42 AM, blackrack said:

If you could stop asking me for a release date that'd help.

12 hours ago, Quadub said:

Is there at least an approximate release date for an update with volumetric clouds?

About a month ago on Reddit Blackrack answered a question like this saying it’d be ready in about 1-2 months. Unless something’s come up, I’d say we’ll get masterpiece late December or early January.

15 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Wait, isn't that after KSP 2?

So what if it is? He isn't bound to a contract to release this before KSP2 becomes available.

I know everyone's hyped as hell for this, as am I, but let's all just remember that this is a free mod being developed by someone in their own personal time, for fun.

As someone who has released mods I can say that having people expect and push for deadlines really turns the project into a job rather than a fun project, and this can put modders off working on the mod itself.

Please be patient and let him work on this at his own pace when he feels like it; it's a personal project, not a job contract.