[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

59 minutes ago, pingopete said:

So what if it is? He isn't bound to a contract to release this before KSP2 becomes available.

I know everyone's hyped as hell for this, as am I, but let's all just remember that this is a free mod being developed by someone in their own personal time, for fun.

As someone who has released mods I can say that having people expect and push for deadlines really turns the project into a job rather than a fun project, and this can put modders off working on the mod itself.

Please be patient and let him work on this at his own pace when he feels like it; it's a personal project, not a job contract.

Definitely :)

I was partially wondering if the Feb. 25 response was a joke; something that someone said to make someone shut up.

Apologies, then.

4 hours ago, pingopete said:

So what if it is? He isn't bound to a contract to release this before KSP2 becomes available.

I know everyone's hyped as hell for this, as am I, but let's all just remember that this is a free mod being developed by someone in their own personal time, for fun.

As someone who has released mods I can say that having people expect and push for deadlines really turns the project into a job rather than a fun project, and this can put modders off working on the mod itself.

Please be patient and let him work on this at his own pace when he feels like it; it's a personal project, not a job contract.

Spot On. Hence the date given earlier, plus overall thread comments earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm preparing my ksp 1.12.4 installation for a RSS playthrough. But after installing the first batch of mods I noticed is an error coming from EVE-Redux. Something like this:

[WRN 02:24:52.829] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'EVE PQS'
[LOG 02:24:52.843] [EVE CloudsManager]: Cannot find Jupiter to apply to main Menu!
[LOG 02:24:52.843] [EVE CloudsManager]: No PQS! Instanciating one.
[LOG 02:24:52.843] [EVE CloudsManager]: PQS Applied
[LOG 02:24:52.843] [EVE CloudsManager]: Applying 2D clouds...
[LOG 02:24:52.858] [EVE CloudsManager]: Clouds2D is now SCALED
[LOG 02:24:52.859] [EVE CloudsManager]: CloudsPQS: (EVE Clouds: JupiterStorm) OnSphereInactive
[LOG 02:24:52.859] [EVE CloudsManager]: Clouds2D is now SCALED

and I get that with all the planets in RSS, not just Jupiter.
Visually in game I can't really see any issue.

Current installation contains the following mods:
RSS v19.0.4.0
RSS 16k textures v18.6.1
PRVE v1.9.3
PRVE 64k v1.9.3
Kopernicus rc-1.12.1-141
Harmony2 v2.2.1.0
Module Manager v4.2.2
Modular Flight Integrator v1.2.10.0
KSP Community Fixes v1.23.0
EVE v1.11.7.1
Scatterer (including the default config and sunflare) v0.0838

27 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Got fed up of alt-tabbing between the game and photoshop to paint cloud maps, this paints to the textures in-game with the correct projection and everything

Wow, ok, that's awesome.

Also, as an aside, how does the current system of noise and related handling look for aurorae? I remember bringing them up earlier in the context of light, but at the time I hadn't considered how well the worley (iirc?) noise would actually work for aurorae - does it still look good there too, or at least, are the settings flexible enough to allow for clever usage to make it work? I'm imagining a way to map it to drop both low and high values keeping middle contours, or inverting it with a negative value, or something to a similar effect (though if there isn't at the moment don't feel pressured to try and cram that into the initial release or anything, just a curiosity about what all can be done with this initial version)

31 minutes ago, Merlin1809 said:

Will this also be available once the mod is fully released?

Yes, this is part of the mod

1 hour ago, WarriorSabe said:

Wow, ok, that's awesome.

Also, as an aside, how does the current system of noise and related handling look for aurorae? I remember bringing them up earlier in the context of light, but at the time I hadn't considered how well the worley (iirc?) noise would actually work for aurorae - does it still look good there too, or at least, are the settings flexible enough to allow for clever usage to make it work? I'm imagining a way to map it to drop both low and high values keeping middle contours, or inverting it with a negative value, or something to a similar effect (though if there isn't at the moment don't feel pressured to try and cram that into the initial release or anything, just a curiosity about what all can be done with this initial version)

So currently you can pick between perlin and worleynoise (with custom settings) or a blend of both. Noise can be disabled as well, not much else though. Perlin noise with some added distorsion texture (prototyped in unity but not currently in-game) might work ok for aurora. Although other features like not needing to be lit are not currently implemented.

6 hours ago, blackrack said:

Got fed up of alt-tabbing between the game and photoshop to paint cloud maps, this paints to the textures in-game with the correct projection and everything

Holy f-

Got a question. During the last second is the furthest we've seen how these clouds look from afar. Is there a distance from which volumetric turns back into the typical 2D view, does it fade. etc.?

How does this transition work?

Edited by MARL_Mk1

Kerbin configs are almost done so here's some weather shots:

Only thing missing for Kerbin is to make the upper cloud layer more wispy/cirrus-like

OL825qE.png

0gUeEP7.png

MK4Lfvh.png

koW6mRI.png

htgq3Hz.png

On 12/25/2022 at 4:39 PM, MARL_Mk1 said:

Holy f-

Got a question. During the last second is the furthest we've seen how these clouds look from afar. Is there a distance from which volumetric turns back into the typical 2D view, does it fade. etc.?

How does this transition work?

There is a configurable fade though I didn't show it.

The 3d clouds and the  2d clouds don't match very well but their outlines match 100% .

Edited by blackrack

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Kerbin configs are almost done so here's some weather shots:

Only thing missing for Kerbin is to make the upper cloud layer more wispy/cirrus-like

OL825qE.png

0gUeEP7.png

MK4Lfvh.png

koW6mRI.png

htgq3Hz.png

There is a configurable fade though I didn't show it.

The 3d clouds and the  2d clouds don't match very well but their outlines match 100% .

Looks great!

Spoiler

That means it will release soon

https://gumlet.assettype.com/afkgaming%2F2021-08%2F79649079-d0e7-4acd-853b-6a2b92797da3%2Fcopium_png.png?auto=format%2Ccompress&dpr=1.0&w=1200

1 hour ago, Delay said:

An RTX 3060 Ti will be enough for this, I hope?

All graphic cards on this list can run KSP on 4K @60FPS (In a overall performance of >= 200% in userbenchmark.com game performance)

There isn't any run for RTX 4060 yet so it's just a question of wait a little bit more, but I would go for RTX 4080 which have a very nice price for its performance.

nJflPr5.png

Edited by pmborg

On 12/25/2022 at 3:12 AM, blackrack said:

Hah, wish I had thought of that.

It's why I implemented the configuration UI though. Got fed up manually editing configs with typos and errors, then when config fields blew up, added the reflection/fields stuff to auto-gen the UI.

1 hour ago, pmborg said:

All graphic cards on this list can run KSP on 4K @60FPS (In a overall performance of >= 200% in userbenchmark.com game performance)

There isn't any run for RTX 4060 yet so it's just a question of wait a little bit more, but I would go for RTX 4080 which have a very nice price for its performance.

nJflPr5.png

I'm getting a new PC with exactly that graphics card. Apparently it's only slightly "worse" than the 2080-Ti, so I think I'll be fine.

I don't even have a 4k monitor, I'm glad I'll finally be able to play KSP at 1080p! (No worries, I'm planning for higher-resolution stuff, too)

13 hours ago, pmborg said:

nJflPr5.png

Just jumped into this thread to search for information about the release of volumetric clouds but I saw this post. The website you are grabbing this information from is UserBenchmark. This website is notoriously unreliable. They fudge a significant amount of their data and partake in very anti-competitive practices. They are a complete joke in the PC building community. There a long videos on YouTube picking this apart.  

It is unfortunate because it provides a very nice overview of graphics cards and simple comparisons, at least from a surface level perspective. The realities of what this website is forces one to actually go and seek out individual reviews and compare components in a slower more personal level.

Also, as much as the 4080 performs well, it is a very significant example of anti-consumer practices and a horrible trend in pricing in graphics cards.