[1.9-1.12.x] EVE-Redux: Performance-enhanced EVE + maintenance (v1.11.7.1 - 09/09/2022)

blackrack

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

The way that descended through the clouds, I half-expected it to freeze midair and spontaneously disassemble while the crew floated bewildered in the middle.

Awesome work with the Eve EVE, and I can't wait to figure out how you did those cyclones to make Cerberan hypercanes

I can't help but drop a comment about how fricken sick this looks. My GF who doesn't even game but sees me play Kerbal was impressed by the new development , for god's sake, lol. Thanks for all this work, I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it! I hope people aren't rushing you, it's hard to be patient with something that looks so promising, but personally I'll wait as long as it takes.

On 1/5/2023 at 5:18 PM, Bej Kerman said:

100% be certifiably redundant in a month and a half

I agree with the general sentiment of your comment but not this bit. I might be pessimistic, but I tend not to play Early Access  titles until they are complete. I'd rather not be a paying tester and have to relearn the game three times before it's finished. I'll likely be playing KSP1 until KSP2 is finished it's roadmap, and I doubt I'm the only one. Unless when I pick it up it scratches every itch KSP1 does, but I have a hard time imagining KSP2.0 having everything that modded KSP1.12 has. Again that's just me, though.

Edited by ElonsMusk

41 minutes ago, ElonsMusk said:

I tend not to play Early Access  titles until they are complete

KSP isn't even a pre-alpha compared to KSP 2. "Early Access" is just comparing KSP 2 as it is now to its planned final state. I guarantee you KSP 2 on day 1 will be ten times better than KSP 1 has been through its messy history.

I have a hard time imagining KSP2.0 having everything that modded KSP1.12 has

You mean bugs, crashes, horrible memory usage, and the lot? If you know a mod that can handle automated supply routes across dozens of ships and colonies, a mod that does non-impulsive maneuver nodes that cross SOIs, a mod that divides KSP 1's playable area into grids so that floating point errors don't destroy the KSC upon returning from an interstellar trip, and most of all, a mod that calculates physics using multiple cores and has LODs so that multiple massive vessels loaded at once don't break the game, feel free to tell me where you found them.

There's no amount of mods you can add to KSP 1 to fix all the underlying problems and make something half-playable.

I'd rather not be a paying tester and have to relearn the game three times before it's finished.

A. KSP 2 isn't going to be "patch something together until it works". Actual developers are working on it. You had to relearn KSP 1 three times because it took the developers several years (0.7.3 to 1.0 - the FAR mod existed for a majority of the game's pre-1.0 history!) to realise that maybe actual aerodynamics in an aerospace simulation game might be a good idea after all. You won't have to relearn KSP 2 three times because the devs weren't descended from a company that A. had nothing to do with software, and B. whose existence was virtually undocumented before KSP's history. All the tutorials you see should apply the exact same, from the beginning of the roadmap to the end, save for the ones teaching you how to exploit bugs, a software phenomenon Squad didn't bother dealing with until KSP 1's bugs tracker got too big to fit in a large novel.

B. If you think KSP as it is now could be described as anything approaching "playable" or "complete" (which it isn't), then I don't get why you wouldn't consider KSP 2 to be playable from day 1.

"Early Access" is just a title, and frankly, avoiding Early Access titles just because they have the tag "Early Access" in spite of evidence suggesting that the game is going to be fairly solid from the getgo just sounds arbitrary to me. If you decided whether you were going to play KSP 1 based on its actual development progress and not just which versions are labelled beta and what's labelled release, then I suspect you would have never done so much as touch it.

Edited by Bej Kerman
It's crazy what mistakes you don't notice until right after you hit "send"

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

You mean bugs, crashes, horrible memory usage, and the lot? If you know a mod that can handle automated supply routes across dozens of ships and colonies, a mod that does non-impulsive maneuver nodes that cross SOIs, a mod that divides KSP 1's playable area into grids so that floating point errors don't destroy the KSC upon returning from an interstellar trip, and most of all, a mod that calculates physics using multiple cores and has LODs so that multiple massive vessels loaded at once don't break the game, feel free to tell me where you found them.

Unfortunatelly all of this stuff is planned further down the roadmap. So far we are supposed to recive quite barebones game. Only core of it. So while devs get all stuff figured out we will enjoy those volumetrics. 

16 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

So far we are supposed to recive quite barebones game

You mean like KSP 1 after 5 years of development and 5 years of "we fired all our developers and have nobody to come up with ideas, which mod do we implement in a mediocre fashion for this update"?

EDIT: Whoops, offtopic. I see my notifications and don't check which thread I'm in before presenting my rebuttal to whoever's complaining about KSP 2 this time. Will be careful from now on.

Edited by Bej Kerman

22 hours ago, blackrack said:

Some experiments on Eve but they'd be more at home on Jool

<snippity>

All of this is spectacular. The columns of clouds make me wonder whether the same volumetric magic could be applied to rocket smoke as well...

+1 passenger on the eager anticipation train.

6 hours ago, WarriorSabe said:

The way that descended through the clouds, I half-expected it to freeze midair and spontaneously disassemble while the crew floated bewildered in the middle.

Awesome work with the Eve EVE, and I can't wait to figure out how you did those cyclones to make Cerberan hypercanes

It's pretty simple, I have two cloud types with 2 different float curves, one for the "columns" and one for just the floor+top with empty space in between. I then have a bunch of dots painted on the cloud type map to tell it where the "columns" should appear.

The craft was actually lowered with vesselMover which is why it descended that way.

Edited by blackrack

6 hours ago, blackrack said:

It's pretty simple, I have two cloud types with 2 different float curves, one for the "columns" and one for just the floor+top with empty space in between. I then have a bunch of dots painted on the cloud type map to tell it where the "columns" should appear.

The craft was actually lowered with vesselMover which is why it descended that way.

Where's the apparent vorticity come from then? It looked like they were actually twisted a bit not just columns

This is epic beyond words! I kind of wish there were no bubbles on the ground, it takes away from the realism.

Is there any chance of integrating a rain effect in the future? I just love how alien weather visuals look like.. it pushes the KSP experience to 11.

54 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

This is epic beyond words! I kind of wish there were no bubbles on the ground, it takes away from the realism.

Is there any chance of integrating a rain effect in the future? I just love how alien weather visuals look like.. it pushes the KSP experience to 11.

so is that what it will be like when entering jools atmosphere?

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

The bubbles are from Parallax 2 and you can disable them if you want.

Rain is already integrated, look through my previous posts.

7 minutes ago, Birdman31 said:

so is that what it will be like when entering jools atmosphere?

Don't know yet

7 minutes ago, blackrack said:

The bubbles are from Parallax 2 and you can disable them if you want.

I know, already have removed life from Eve in Parallax 2. Was just referring to the fact that the quality of the atmosphere you created guess beyond any "colored bubbles", from an artistic point of view.

9 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Rain is already integrated, look through my previous posts.

77j2gm5.png

Amazing! So I guess the only thing that's missing for total storm immersion is just some lines of falling particles / drops on the camera when flying through rain. Is anything like that doable?

Thank you again for your work, from the bottom of my heart!

PS: Also can lightning technically be a thing?

22 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I know, already have removed life from Eve in Parallax 2. Was just referring to the fact that the quality of the atmosphere you created guess beyond any "colored bubbles", from an artistic point of view.

77j2gm5.png

Amazing! So I guess the only thing that's missing for total storm immersion is just some lines of falling particles / drops on the camera when flying through rain. Is anything like that doable?

Thank you again for your work, from the bottom of my heart!

PS: Also can lightning technically be a thing?

Thank you!

Imo the atmosphere works with or without life being there. Without life It works as a venus analogue. With life you could kinda interpret it as a somewhat calmer atmosphere under the more turbulent layers above, sort of like in Mononoke when the planes descend under the stormy clouds and into the toxic jungle with all the plant spores.

Anyway lightning and customizable particles are both things I want to experiment with and they are doable, so we'll see how it goes later.

Edited by blackrack

15 hours ago, blackrack said:

sort of like in Mononoke when the planes descend under the stormy clouds and into the toxic jungle with all the plant spores.

Are we thinking of the same movie here? I don't remember there being planes or toxic jungles in that

15 hours ago, blackrack said:

Anyway lightning and customizable particles are both things I want to experiment with and they are doable, so we'll see how it goes later.

Oh that sounds like fun - are you talking actual bolts of lightning or like flickering lights inside the volumetrics? Either way that'd be cool. And as for the particles, what would be different about them to the current ones? Locked orientation for more natural precipitation or something?

6 hours ago, WarriorSabe said:

Are we thinking of the same movie here? I don't remember there being planes or toxic jungles in that

Oh that sounds like fun - are you talking actual bolts of lightning or like flickering lights inside the volumetrics? Either way that'd be cool. And as for the particles, what would be different about them to the current ones? Locked orientation for more natural precipitation or something?

Sorry was thinking of Nausicaa actually.

For lightning both bolts + lights. For particles not completely sure but for starters sampling the density from the 3d volume shape, ability to actually fall not just rotate in place, being lit by craft lights and maybe even ability to use tiny 3d meshes instead of textures.

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

For lightning both bolts + lights. For particles not completely sure but for starters sampling they allear from the 3d volume shape, ability to actually fall not just rotate in place, being lit by craft lights and maybe even ability to use tiny 3d meshes instead of textures.

Oh wow that's cool, a lot more than I was expecting