The Failure of Precision — SRB Precision Challenge

This challenge is built for precision, with SRBs.

Rules:

1. SRB only. No other sources of propulsion, but having any other resources (including but not limited to EC) is allowed. No RCS. Decouplers are fine for separating stages, but not a major source of propulsion. 

2. Stock only. Graphics or informative mods are allowed, though. DLCs are stock.

3. No cheats. No cheating of any kind. No autopilot.

4. Settings requirement: commnet on, plasma blackout on, require signal for control on, part G force limit on, part pressure limit on, Kerbal G force limit on, Reentry heating 100%(or higher if you like). All other options are optional.

5. Orbital construction is OK. If you think there are benefits, and you are capable of doing it. Multiple launches going to different places is not allowed for a single entry. You’re welcome to submit separate entries for that,

Scores:

1. Reach circular orbit around Kerbin: + 5pts. Eccentricity between 0 and 0.01, with pe above 70km. Stable orbit required(engines not firing).

2. Flyby another body: +10pts, times body multiplier. Simply enter its SOI.

3. Circular orbit around another body: +20pts, times body multiplier. Eccentricity between 0 and 0.01, with pe above atmosphere, if it is present. Stable orbit required.

4. Land on another body: +30pts, times body multiplier. No damage to the craft, or, no unplanned disassembly (stagings are definitely OK), rapid or not. Stable landing required(engines not firing).

5. Successful docking: +500pts. Docking anywhere is treated the same, but make sure you’re on a stable orbit.

6. Be Kerballed: Double points! Make sure your crew returns safely.

7. Body multipliers:

Spoiler

Kerbin excluded. Kerbol excluded.

Mun: 1.5

Minmus: 1

Duna: 3

Eve: 5

Dres: 7

Jool: 8

Ike: 7

Gilly: 12

Moho: 20

Laythe: 18

Tylo: 20

Bop: 18

Pol: 18

Vall: 18

Eeloo: 18

I increased some of body multipliers to the current state of absurdly high, as the precision and Delta V requirement is absurdly high for SRB ships.

Entries should be proven by video/image and mission documentation. Mission report threads are welcome! 

Spoiler

Not technically required but, I believe you can do the math yourself.

Participants:

Spoiler

This challenge is open to suggestions, especially for the body multiplier part, which may be not so fine-tweaked due to my personal limitations.

Badges:

Spoiler

We have the badges ready!

0c80311352021348.jpg3a661e1352021350.jpg

b9cd541352021357.jpg778c401352021352.jpg

f161791352021354.jpg

You may use them as you like when you complete the challenge. Click images to download.

You can put it in your forum signature as you like, if you get any positive points, according to the way you got it.

Edited by Grassland
I am located in the eastern hemisphere.

Well, I guess this old mission earns me 2×500 points, then. (Actually I guess that's 2×505 points, since it looks like I reached the eccentricity target too.)

(Not 100% sure about the settings, but your list mostly matches what I usually play with. Part upgrades might be the exception, but I don't think they'd have made any significant difference even if I had them on. And I'm not sure about the Commnet settings either, but both vessels were crewed so it definitely wouldn't have mattered.)

Edited by vyznev

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm trying to figure out what an eccentricity of 0.01 means in a more tangible way. Based on Wikipedia calculation section, with Kerbin sea level radius of 600 km and assuming PE is 70 km, I figure AP must not exceed 83.535 Km. Right? My little spreadsheet checks out with values for the moon but I tried some calculator apps that don't seem to agree.

7 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

So I'm trying to figure out what an eccentricity of 0.01 means in a more tangible way. Based on Wikipedia calculation section, with Kerbin sea level radius of 600 km and assuming PE is 70 km, I figure AP must not exceed 83.535 Km. Right? My little spreadsheet checks out with values for the moon but I tried some calculator apps that don't seem to agree.

That looks correct to me. I'm not sure what calculator apps you've tried that don't agree; the first one I tried does.

7 hours ago, vyznev said:

So that's what I used... I'm confused. I changed the "ellipse parameters"  from AU to meters and it says:

Semi-major axis 676,768 m
Semi-minor axis 676,734 m
Eccentricity 0.01
That's a 34 m difference - very narrow margin.
But below under Orbital Parameters it gives periapsis: 670 km, apoapsis: 683.535 km
So maybe it has something to do with the ellipse center vs. it's focus? Or the app is wrong? 

1 hour ago, Krazy1 said:

So that's what I used... I'm confused. I changed the "ellipse parameters"  from AU to meters and it says:

Semi-major axis 676,768 m
Semi-minor axis 676,734 m
Eccentricity 0.01
That's a 34 m difference - very narrow margin.
But below under Orbital Parameters it gives periapsis: 670 km, apoapsis: 683.535 km
So maybe it has something to do with the ellipse center vs. it's focus? Or the app is wrong? 

The semimajor and semiminor axes are measured from the center of the ellipse, but the gravitational center of the primary body (technically the common center of all bodies, but KSP simplifies it) is located at one of the two foci instead. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.