What are you basic movement keybinds?

Neil Kermstrong

5 hours ago, Neil Kermstrong said:

What are your Pitch, Yaw, Roll and RCS keybindings?

Mine are all stock but I intend on changing my RCS to the keybinds, what about you?

Did you know you can switch to docking mode and use your Pitch, yaw etc WASD keys to control RCS only?

It has also a rotational mode that you toggle with space.

That way you can use less keys by only switching the mode btw docking and normal.

Ofcourse if you want to use all at the same time you can use the seperate RCS controls.

Edited by Boyster

2 hours ago, Boyster said:

Did you know you can switch to docking mode and use your Pitch, yaw etc WASD keys to control RCS only?

It has also a rotational mode that you toggle with space.

That way you can use less keys by only switching the mode btw docking and normal.

Ofcourse if you want to use all at the same time you can use the seperate RCS controls.

cool

6 hours ago, Boyster said:

I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to use all controls.

I switched RCS translation to numpad (easier to find than jklwhatever), 4 6 for left right, 8 2 for up down, 9 3 for forward backward. I can use them AND control rotation at the same time because why not.

I only change one thing in keybindings; to enable wheel controls in docking/rotation mode (or as I calling it, driving mode).
I use RCS with the IJKL keys so I've got pitch, roll, yaw on WASDQE as normal at the same time. I also bind H/N (RCS forward/back) to thumb buttons on my mouse, that way I can control attitude with one hand, and have RCS forward/backward thrust and camera control with the other hand. I never use docking/rotation mode for docking, I only use it for driving.

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I switched RCS translation to numpad (easier to find than jklwhatever), 4 6 for left right, 8 2 for up down, 9 3 for forward backward. I can use them AND control rotation at the same time because why not.

agreed, I also have difficult using RCS because I am not familiar to the default keys, so I changed to the numpad and now it's really better

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Because usually docking is achieved just fine in Docking Mode and rotational mode

by using only WASDQE(and shift+ctrl) and toggling rotation with space button, its more ''casual''.

How many times in docking or most maneuvers you need to use all of the controls at the exact same time?

So you have to move your hand across the keyboard all the time and that...that is easier?

16 minutes ago, Neil Kermstrong said:

agreed, I also have difficult using RCS because I am not familiar to the default keys, so I changed to the numpad and now it's really better

What do you mean you are not familiar with the default keys?

Is it really not common to use docking mode?

I always though it was the easiest thing to do...lol

Edited by Boyster

You guys break my mind of how over complicated your controls are,

except the Rover thing which indeed needs tweaking(driving and SAS dont go well if they have same controls), i dont see the point of seperating the controls in keyboard and mouse

or two different areas of keyboard, there is no way 99% of the times you gonna need to use all the controls at few seconds to do something.

Anyways its always good to see different approaches but this one does strike me odd lol.

Edited by Boyster

22 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Because usually docking is achieved just fine in Docking Mode and rotational mode

by using only WASDQE(and shift+ctrl) and toggling rotation with space button, its more ''casual''.

How many times in docking or most maneuvers you need to use all of the controls at the exact same time?

So you have to move your hand across the keyboard all the time and that...that is easier?

What do you mean you are not familiar with the default keys?

I always though it was the easiest thing to do...lol

It's because it's hard for me to find the IJKLHN, and I always missclick one for another

42 minutes ago, Boyster said:

I use both hands. And numpad is nearby the mouse anyway. I don't usually move the camera while doing any maneuvers, but even if I do, it's close so no problem here.

44 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Apparently yes, there was a discussion a while ago about that, not that many people use docking mode - I'm personally so used to spacebar being used for staging, that I would be afraid to use it in docking mode to change buttons behavior - there's always a small chance that I somehow wouldn't be in docking mode and there goes my fuel tank.

34 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Ctrl-Alt-F7 for "up", Shift-O for "down" and mouse-click for Mechjeb docking.

Ah, like default screenshot button(s) on Mac

43 minutes ago, Neil Kermstrong said:

It's because it's hard for me to find the IJKLHN, and I always missclick one for another

What do you mean? By using Docking mode, you only have to use WASDQE/shift/ctrl and space to switch to rotational.

Edited by Boyster

I remapped the default keys as soon as I started playing the game 6 years ago to the same keys I'd been using in other games: Numpad 8-2 for pitch, 4-6 for roll 9-7 for yaw. Throttle is on keypad Period, (up) 0, (down), +, (max) and -. (cut) Tied steering to yaw out of habit from too many years flying flight sims. (and actual private pilot flight experience with my father!) Then translation is mapped to Home-End for dorsal-ventral, Del-PgDn for port-starboard, and Ins-PgUp for fore-aft. The four arrow keys are alternate pitch-yaw controls. WASD? Never used in any game (always remapped to my defaults) and and probably never will.

In practice though I use my programmed CH Flightstick. Programed to be pitch-roll in mode 1, with the four-direction hat as RCS lateral port-stbd-dorsal-ventral, and the three thumb buttons are headlight toggle, brakes, and landing gear toggle. Tap the trigger and I go to Mode 2 where the X axis changes to yaw and the pitch axis inverts (perfect for rocket flying) the hat gives me fore-aft RCS, left and right hat are roll, and the thumb buttons are SAS toggle, Precision toggle, and RCS Toggle.

The rest of the controls are also re-mapped to something I find more natural. (SAS toggle to the S key, Precision toggle to the ~ key, Abort to F12 because I kept hitting Backspace accidentally, etc.) It's at the point now that I can't use the game unless the keyboard is remapped as I don't actually know the default keys.

I know I'm weird! :^Þ

Edited by RobertaME

LOL! Thanks for trying to make me feel better about my stubbornness, but I know I'm a nut! I even spent several hours tweaking my Flightstick so it would have fine movement for the first 50% of travel on each axis, then coarse movement the closer you get to the extremes of each axis. (so a 50% pitch forward is translated to only a 10% deflection of controls, but a 100% pitch forward is still 100% pitch forward, etc.)

Edit: I also fixed through programming a physical error in the X axis where a 100% right deflection only resulted in a 90% deflection in the system... re-scaling the entire X axis to get a 100% deflection...

<--- NUT :wacko:

Edited by RobertaME
More nuttiness...

On 8/23/2020 at 2:57 AM, Neil Kermstrong said:

I don't like docking mode

I'm with you on this: it feels awkward to have to check which mode I'm in before passing a key. For me, the solution is to disable RCS rotation in the VAB (i.e. set actuation toggles to translation only) and then just use two hands on the keyboard, where left hand controls the (reaction wheel only) rotation, and right hand controls RCS movement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.