KSP in full-screen windowed mode! quick 'n simple (windows only)

Moach

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, for those of you who are having some issues. I read through this and couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why it wasn't working for me.

I played around with it for a bit and it looks like you have to have -popupwindow instead of - popupwindow after the executable.(see below)

"E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe" -popupwindow

<<make sure to include your options (-popupwindow) on the outside of the quotes, otherwise the OS will not find KSP.exe. It will be looking for KSP.exe-popupwindow which is not a real executable. You are not changing the name of the file, just the options to run it with.>>

The original poster had the space in there and it was messing me all kinds of up. Also, in the KSP directory there are two executables. One for Launch.exe and one for KSP.exe. I used KSP.exe since it skips that update/play menu in the game.

Great, I was looking for something like this!

Hope they add it natively in the future... need to watch Scott Manley while waiting for the next navigation node! :D

btw. I'm running steam but it worked great creating a new shortcut to the ksp.exe file on the desktop like someone suggested earlier!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
If you are having problems getting this working try this:

Go into KSP > Settings > Graphics and disable Full Screen. Full Screen mode seems to be able to override the popupwindow command.

This right here is the key. It wasn't staying in one monitor with the -popupwindow until I disabled Full Screen under KSP's options.

This right here is the key. It wasn't staying in one monitor with the -popupwindow until I disabled Full Screen under KSP's options.

You can also change whether KSP starts with full screen enabled by editing the settings.cfg file in your main KSP directory.

The bit you want is line 53, which says:

FULLSCREEN = True

Just change this to '= False' and next time the game starts it will be as if you've already unticked the fullscreen option in the graphics menu.

A query I have is that I already use " -force-opengl at the end of my shortcut, is it possible to use both this and the - popupwindow option and if so how do I do it? Does it matter which is first? What about the hyphens, are they all included? Is there a special way to demarcate the instructions?

Awesome information though Moach, if I can get this working it'll make using Telemachus and OBS while in game much more friendly!

A query I have is that I already use " -force-opengl at the end of my shortcut, is it possible to use both this and the - popupwindow option and if so how do I do it? Does it matter which is first?

Yes, you can have both of them, and it doesn't matter what order they're in. Just write -force-opengl -popupwindow at the end of KSP.exe.

What about the hyphens, are they all included?

The hyphens are not included. This is how it should look in your case (or KSP_x64): KSP.exe" -force-opengl -popupwindow

Anyway, just thought I'd clarify something that I wondered myself when seeing this thread - the benefit to having full screen windowed mode over regular full screen is that you can easily switch applications, and recording softwares can record windowed mode much easier. So you get the best of both worlds, as the OP said.

+Rep for you, Moach!

So regarding performance...?

I did observe (albeit a few versions ago) that KSP has a slightly better framerate in fullscreen mode than in a large window on my PC - presumably having something to do with KSP having full control of the GPU rather than having to share it with other programs. So my guess is that fixed-window mode will lie somewhere between the performance of fullscreen and a normal window. But does anyone have experimental data on this? Does running in a fixed window help or hurt the framerate?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
ok im running windows 8.1 and when i run ksp in opengl mode with full screen enabled im either missing one quarter of my screen or the screen flickers how can that be fixed???

i have the same problem that's why i came to this forum cause it annoy me so much but am still looking for a fix

• 5 months later...

I don't mean to necropost, but this doesn't work for me? It says the name is invalid and to make sure if the path of the file is correct. I'm on Win 8.1.

EDIT: OK NEVERMIND! Forgot to inlcude space before the path and "-popupwindow". Works fine now.

Edited by Veeltch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.