[1.8.x-1.11.x] Kerbalism Companion Calculator (KCC) - An antenna planner for Kerbalism [v1.3.0] [29th November 2020]

ValiZockt

Kerbalism Companion Calculator [1.8.x - 1.11.x]

About:

Kerbalism Companion Calculator (KCC) is a plugin that allows you to plan your antenna connectivity during your mission in Kerbalism. This Calculator auto-adapts its selection options, so support is provided for every planet pack. In addition to that, support for NFeX reflectors and ResearchBodies is also provided. It's fairly simple to use, select the planet you're going to visit, choose your distance (consisting of the minimum to maximum distance to the home world) and get your result:

tzt9ruC.png

But why?:
This fairly small plugin is aimed at Kerbalism players. All already existing antenna planners only calculate the signal strength and not the data rate, which can be crucial to Kerbalism players, since science points are not immediately transferred as it is in Stock.  

Download:

• GitHub
  • SpaceDock
  • CKAN
  • Installation: Move all Contents in GameData to your KerbalSpaceProgram/GameData

Changelog:

v1.3.0
* Name change to Kerbalism Companion Calculator
* ResearchBodies support

-----
v1.2.0
* Unity UI Overhaul
* Add version file

------
v1.1.1.
* Add editor undo event
* Fix bad antenna strength calculation

------
v1.1.0 
* Add 'exclude from planner' button into calculation
* Include range modifier from settings

------
v1.0.1 - Hotfix
* Fix UIStyles 

------
v1.0.0 - Initial Release
* K³ implements a Antenna Range Calculator specifically made for Kerbalism.
* Support for NFeX Reflectors.
* Support for all kind of Planet packs.

Source Code

Known Issues

• No Issues are known by now, if you find any please report them to this thread or open a GitHub issue.

Special Thanks & Credits

• @woeller for creating the Header Image, App Icon, testing & feedback
  • @Jacky_Rabbit for testing & feedback
  • Nertea for the UI Sprite Sheet - License

This work is licensed under CreativeCommons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Edited by ValiZockt

5 hours ago, NateDaBeast said:

How well would this work for RO/RSS/RP-0? If it does work with RP-0 would it interfere with the RealAntennas mod for it?

Otherwise this looks very cool and appreciated.

Should work with RSS/RO/RP1, the only change that I can think of that matters, would be the fact that RP1 has more upgrades to DSN, but that shouldn’t effect anything. However RA is not supported, they use a own module, which isn’t get read by this plugin. As you aren’t the first person that ask this, I’m gonna have a look on how RA does it’s calculation and see if I can integrate them too.

And thanks of course! 

This is pretty nice. Great work, I'll be using it going forward.

Kerbalism has a toggle for antennas to exclude them from EC calculations in its own planner. Maybe you could use this toggle to exclude them from the antenna planner as well?

7 hours ago, BTAxis said:

This is pretty nice. Great work, I'll be using it going forward.

Kerbalism has a toggle for antennas to exclude them from EC calculations in its own planner. Maybe you could use this toggle to exclude them from the antenna planner as well?

Should be feasible, yes. I’ll take a look, thanks for the suggestion. 

2 hours ago, Darkherring said:

I think I've encountered a strange bug. As I click the mod icon in the VAB it seems to change the skin of other mods for Stock-style.

LOG: https://we.tl/t-xHAy9edDG9

Example:

[snip]

Thanks for the report. Just pushed a new release that fixes that issue. I somehow unnoticedly set some UIStyle definitions global. Also fixes the NREs you've had in your log. 

Edited by ValiZockt

On 8/23/2020 at 12:59 PM, BTAxis said:

Just released K³ v1.1.0 that includes that. Also got around cleaning the code up & including the range modifier from stock.

Kerbalism Kompanion Kalkulator v1.1.0 
* Add 'exclude from planner' button into calculation
* Include range modifier from settings

Edited by ValiZockt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if this is new or if I'm just now noticing, but there seems to be an issue with adjusting results based on Tracking Station level. I'm in a Kerbalism Career save and my Tracking Station is currently at level 2. However, the calculator is showing results as though the Tracking Station is still only Level 1. For example, it's telling me a Communotron 16 will only achieve 10.4% signal strength at Minmus - range 47Mm. That antenna should have a range of 158.1Mm with a L2 DSN. Even with the way Kerbalism models data rate falloff that should still be plenty. To test it, I loaded the craft directly into orbit of Minmus using KRASH and sure enough - 80% signal strength, not 10%. Looked to see if there are settings or something I'm missing, but couldn't find any.

Hard to say... I have Kerbalism installed, as I mentioned. I also have kOS - which integrates with CommNet, but I don't think it touches antenna ranges.

As for mods that might touch the Tracking Station in some way, I'm using Kerbal Construction Time. I'm also using Strategia - which has Custom Barn Kit as a dependency.

That's really it as far as mods that might touch antenna or transmission range stats. Oh, and I verified that the base game settings for antenna range are at defaults (no range modifier applied to DSN, etc).

Small new update: Kerbalism Kompanion Kalkulator v1.1.1.

Kerbalism Kompanion Kalkulator v1.1.1.
* Add editor undo event
* Fix bad antenna strength calculation

@jfjohnny5 Thank you very much vor reporting this issue. This wasn't an issue with the Tracking Station per se, but more of a problem storing and then handling the negatives range value of Kerbin orbiting celestial bodies. Probably wouldn't have noticed, so many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Got around switching from the old onGUI/GUILayout system to a complete new Unity UI. 

Kerbalism Kompanion Kalkulator v1.2.0
* Unity UI Overhaul
* Add version file

Small QoL improvments like a real dropdown menu and including/exclude specific antenna types. 

AO2xHVn.png

Also, thanks to Nertea for providing this amazing sprite sheet.

Edited by ValiZockt

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, as a non american I didn't thought this was a big issue at first, still I've come to the conclusion I'd rather rename this mod to something more suitable. I really hope I didn't offend anyone here. Apologies. In addition to a name change I've added support for ResearchBodies. Only planets that are discovered are now  displayed now in the dropdown menu. Also thanks to @HebaruSan, this is now available on CKAN.

v1.3.0
* Change name to Kerbalism Companion Calculator (KCC)
* ResearchBodies support
* Indexed on CKAN 

IMPORTANT: Please make sure to delete the old files first, with this name change the folder name changed too.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey! Just wanted to report that I ran into a log spam issue:

[EXC 10:20:53.346] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KerbalismCompanionCalculator.KerbalismCompanionCalculator.ReloadVessel () (at <63c53bc5bc154269acc3b1dbec6f78a8>:0)
    KerbalismCompanionCalculator.KerbalismCompanionCalculator.onEditorShipModified (ShipConstruct ship) (at <63c53bc5bc154269acc3b1dbec6f78a8>:0)
    EventData`1[T].Fire (T data) (at <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(ShipConstruct)
    EditorLogic:SetBackup()
    EditorLogic:<SetupFSM>b__190_21()
    KerbalFSM:RunEvent(KFSMEvent)
    KerbalFSM:updateFSM(KFSMUpdateMode)
    KerbalFSM:UpdateFSM()
    EditorLogic:Update()

This was on an airplane in the SPH, and I had some 5000 of these messages in the log after a 3 hour session in game...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.