Official v0.18 Upcoming thread

Capt'n Skunky

Pretty sure devs have said docking won't be coming soon, and we do have some good mods that are being improved for now.

My guesses for 0.18, not suggestions or fact:

-More flight planning items like the pached conics, for orbital RV and interplanetary travel.

-More detailed IVA's and the rest of cockpits

-Rest of solar system

If there was a first-person EVA camera, I'd be just about the happiest person ever. Other than that, I'm happy with being pleasantly surprised once .18 rolls around.

...Oh yeah! Unmanned pods too, since I can tell there's no way I'll complete a planetary landing and return for a looong time.

Edited by Railsmith

If .18 was focused building on current features, I would be very happy. KSP needs a good optimization, and there are plenty of bugs needing to be fixed. It would also be a good time to add a more organized parts list to the VAB/SPH.

My Wish list:

Docking

MOAR planets and moons

IVAs (Walking inside modules and assembled stations)

No more Launch tower or a configurable one.

Remove the Space Chutlu

1,000,000 time warp

x10 phisical Time warp

a special part that you put in space station that gives you the ability to make the space station to a OAB (Orbital Assembly building)

Gee guys it isn't too hard to read:

More planets will not come for a long time. In the near term we'll be looking at improvements to existing planets, applying polish, etc.

We have a basic idea of what we want to do for 0.18 already, although I don't really know details (if I could, it's not like I could say)

PS: Stop suggesting docking. It's not happening in 0.18. Besides, you guys have two docking mods to play with in the meantime! :)

I bet no one will even see this, but I think we need a way to customize how engines fire.

I was trying to make a shuttle that could take off vertically but land horizontally, but I was running into issues because I had to lose the main thrusters if I wanted to use the landing thrusters.

Keep in mind guys that an asteroid belt around kerbal is impossible within the laws of physics of the kerbal universe. an asteroid belt can only exist in our solar system because the gravitational influence of the planet Jupiter prevents them from consolidating into one planet. since the bodies in KSP seem to have this odd "bubble" of gravitational influence, where if your outside the bubble, gravity just "stops", and can only be influenced by one thing at a time, a stable asteroid belt is impossible. It would be outside jool's "bubble", and would form into a planet.

My Wish list:

Docking

MOAR planets and moons

-snip-

x10 phisical Time warp

a special part that you put in space station that gives you the ability to make the space station to a OAB (Orbital Assembly building)

1. Docking is not going to happen in this update.

2. Nova said earlier in the thread that new planets arent gonna come for a while

3. I dont think a 10x physical timewarp would be good.. my ships blow apart on 4x...

4. Been said a while ago that Orbital assembly building wont happen

Sorry to be a bit of a killjoy, but I just want to give the 'facts' :)

I know I'm going to get shot for this, but multiplayer. I would love racing to the Mun with a friend, but there are also problems that come into my mind.

a) Mods. This might work if you both have the same mods loaded, but still.

b)Time Warp. The biggest problem of all. Self explanatory.

Hey, a man can dream though, right?

Realistically?

1. FIX THE CLIPPING! I can send my camera straight through the planet!

2. Terrain Graphics. I think it was either Gilly or Tylo I was orbiting and there was just "pointy angle" after "pointy angle" of where the polygons collided.

3. Multiple capsules per ship. I know there is a mod for something like this, but it would be nice to just be in the game.

4. Career mode. 'Nuff said.

I imagine 0.18 would just be small improvements to the overall game engine, like ones that allow for lava and lava effects to be implemented so the "Lavaless Lava Planet" Moho finally becomes the lava planet it always dreamed to be. Also, maybe a barebones implementation of reentry physics, optimization of the already existing planets, cloud effects, etc. Nothing too major.

Edited by AlternNocturn

I'd love to see Ion Engines implemented. They would be weak, but would have an extremely low fuel consumption. Also, they would need battery and deployable solar panel parts to operate, which would need a new energy system implemented.

Keep in mind guys that an asteroid belt around kerbal is impossible within the laws of physics of the kerbal universe. an asteroid belt can only exist in our solar system because the gravitational influence of the planet Jupiter prevents them from consolidating into one planet. since the bodies in KSP seem to have this odd "bubble" of gravitational influence, where if your outside the bubble, gravity just "stops", and can only be influenced by one thing at a time, a stable asteroid belt is impossible. It would be outside jool's "bubble", and would form into a planet.

If we're assuming that they can't exist because the Kerbal Universe uses spheres of influence, you could just say the asteroids are orbiting the sun, outside of each others spheres of influence. They'd never collect to form a planet that way, despite not being affected by the gravity of Jool and Duna. Either way, I'm excited to see how they'll handle asteroid belts, .18 or otherwise. Will they be on or off rails? Procedurally generated? Could be any number of really cool things to do with them.

Since Nova said they'd be polishing up planets, perhaps that will include Kerbin. Really pumped to know if cities or weather will be added, since both of those could make for some really cool orbital views.

There are several mods with ion engines, but none that I know of work 100% realistically - they all consume JUST electricity, when they should have their own dedicated propellant tanks (usually Xenon), which is then ionized and accelerated by electricity. You can't just generate thrust from electricity alone.

Yeah, but arn't the Xenon tanks so small and depleted so slowly that they can be ignored completely or just included as an unseen part of the engine module by default?

No, they shouldn't be ignored. It's the same reason we didn't make the Kerbal jetpack fuel infinite, and the same reason RCS isn't infinite. As for making them part of the engine itself, that could work, since overall there's only a few hundred kg of propellant onboard an ion-powered spacecraft, which can result in a few km/s of delta-v. Although, ideally, you'd want to make the tanks separate parts so you could have more than normal, if you were so inclined.

Really, the main problem with a realistic ion engine in KSP is the thrust. In KSP units, it would have to be a thrust value of 0.0004 or something ridiculous like that.

So ... any official posts on what is going to be added or are you guys taking a break?

Nova said earlier in the thread that they already had a concept of what is going to be in the next update. He didn't say what will be in 0.18, but he did say that docking won't be coming, nor will the rest of the Kerbol system.