Land on Stuff

18mQc

18hOS

I'll try and rebuild it with a manned module, but it's a real pain that you can't just swap out the command module of a ship. I want to build it bigger as well, but that gives me 0.5 fps, so I'll be leaving that until I get a new computer.

It is made of all stock parts except the mechjeb command module btw. And the AdamKSP thing

Edited by Person012345

Good lord, Person, even I don't need that much RCS. XD Do you empty out all of those tanks?

Also, been fiddling about with a few rocket designs. Once I figure out the transfers, I'm shooting for Jool. Thank heavens the SRBs weren't nerfed, or I would have been out of luck.

Man I want to rebuild THAT thing!

The four fuel-tanks directly under the lander engines, are they directly fueling something?If yes what?

I'm away from my computer this week, so it's been a while, but I still want to answer -

cBJiO.jpg

That's the fourth stage, which takes the ship from a high suborbital trajectory to Kerbin escape or just before. (Aerospikes feel less cheap now that the nukes are out. :wink: Still considering switching them for T45s and just living with the lower performance.)

When I get attachment privileges, I can post the .craft file if you like! Dropping the first set of really big liquid boosters without hitting them and exploding does take a bit of practice, though.

I finally managed to bludgeon my way to Eve! ;D

csHh5.png

exQRP.png

DBiW6.png

mUeFR.jpg

gEJ4a.jpg

yY3yx.png

I7rDy.jpg

(Achieves solar orbit and then some with its first liquid stage)

File:[ATTACH]33616[/ATTACH]

Edit: The ship's stock, btw (276 pieces -no clue how heavy)

Edit_2: I really need to figure out an easier way of getting to the new planets. I wasted way too much fuel trying to eyeball a meeting with Eve.

Edited by iplop

Nice mission booly, I like the way you presented your images and the cube-like rocket. :) Your landing back at KSC reminds me of when I once threw an aircraft together to visit KSC 2. I landed at the runway site with 0.1l of fuel left, I kid you not!

The only thing about your mission is that I'm sure using a Munar slingshot for interplanetary maneuvers is actually detrimental. Scott Manley (he knows his orbital maths) did some calculations during the experimentals to prove the point after Tosh suggested using the Mun to get to other planets. I'd link you to the post but it's a testers only area. From what I understand you're better off burning deeper in Kerbin's gravity well to take advantage of the Oberth Effect. Find the optimum ejection angle from Kerbin orbit and just burn like crazy, avoiding Mun and Minmus.

In 0.17x1 Moho's orbital distance was about half what it is now (1.5-1.8Mm) so I used to slingshot around Eve to slow down and change planes - slingshots are really rewarding when you pull them off!

Thanks for ruining my day!

Managed to land on Duna, Ike and Eve so far. Floated above Gilly but turns out a bug destroys your ship when you touch down.

Also, fun fact: Gilly is actually so small you can't achieve a stable orbit.

Trying to establish a base in the large Duna crater, but am having trouble landing things close to each other, and often times even in one piece. About one in five craft make it to the surface intact.

PS: Slingshot from LKO can save you a LOT of fuel. Slingshot 90 degrees for smaller orbits, 270 for larger ones.

Landed two 3-man landers on Duna yesterday and landed a rover on Eve today!

The two 3-man crews will conduct "scientific research" on Duna for about a year, and then return!

Duna Exploration Landers (DE-100 and DE-101):

http://imgur.com/a/GPIa6

Eve Exploration Rover (Discovery EE-1)

http://imgur.com/a/X9pAP

If anyone is curious about my rocket, here it is:

VAB: "Columbus II Heavy", 364 parts, services Duna, Jool, and extra-Kerbol destinations

23diC.jpg

Thrusting past Kerbol escape velocity (ignore the crew's faces; they completely volunteered for this humane experiment)

PCfni.png

I don't know how to post photos on here yet but if you use your imagination... :sticktongue:

I've managed to get a single seat lander onto Duna and return home to Kerbin (interplanetary payload 2,800L) quite easily, so next I decided to try for Eve...

Having read the wiki articles, it appears it is physically impossible to return from Eve... so I gave it a go. My rocket at the pad (unknown weight) had about 150,000L of fuel on board and reduced my quad-core to a gibbering 2fps mess, but it somehow managed to make it to orbit without losing its altimeter(yay!). Dumped stages and spent rocket motors later, I find myself escaping Kerbin gravity with a whopping 3,200L in the interplanetary stage tanks, plus my descent and ascent stage for Eve (an equally ginormous 10,000L monstrosity that can reach Kerbin escape without even turning on its nuclear engine in the tests, so I'm hopeful it may just be able to make it back to Kerbin afterwards...)

Anyway I've just made my transition burn and once I work out how to post pictures and land, I'll be back with news of my (probably inevitable) failure :D

Procrastinaut out!

I don't know how to post photos on here yet but if you use your imagination... :sticktongue:

I've managed to get a single seat lander onto Duna and return home to Kerbin (interplanetary payload 2,800L) quite easily, so next I decided to try for Eve...

Having read the wiki articles, it appears it is physically impossible to return from Eve... so I gave it a go. My rocket at the pad (unknown weight) had about 150,000L of fuel on board and reduced my quad-core to a gibbering 2fps mess, but it somehow managed to make it to orbit without losing its altimeter(yay!). Dumped stages and spent rocket motors later, I find myself escaping Kerbin gravity with a whopping 3,200L in the interplanetary stage tanks, plus my descent and ascent stage for Eve (an equally ginormous 10,000L monstrosity that can reach Kerbin escape without even turning on its nuclear engine in the tests, so I'm hopeful it may just be able to make it back to Kerbin afterwards...)

Anyway I've just made my transition burn and once I work out how to post pictures and land, I'll be back with news of my (probably inevitable) failure :D

Procrastinaut out!

EDIT: From my testing, I have concluded that it is either very very very very very very very very VERY hard to escape Eve, if not impossible. Now I'm just going to try to get into orbit (which is already a hard enough task), and have a rescue mission.

We have a lot in common! Currently, I am able to get into orbit with ~11,000 L of fuel. I just updated my tiny lander engines to aerospikes (for the eve ascent), and hopefully that'll get me up! I'm quite worried about the nuclear rocket though...as when I went to Duna, I only had ~1200 L of fuel for the 6 outer engines.

Also, you can post images with the <url> tag.

UPDATE: I have just landed on Eve, with this stage:

6iOhy.png

with ~2500 L of fuel left. Unfortunately, I forgot to switch the direction of the fuel ducts, so all the fuel is fed towards the nuclear rocket, which doesn't have nearly enough power to escape (or even get into orbit) Eve.

Will relaunch and retry tomorrow.

Edited by untitled

k, This time I managed to land something decent on Eve.

Cc2Ga.png

T5gg2.jpg

Mdnp2.jpg

VLdqM.png

Ship file: [ATTACH]33693[/ATTACH]

Going straight up it achieves solar orbit with fuel to spare in the first liquid stage.

I wasted 90% of my fuel trying to find an Eve intercept. :/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.