Land on Stuff

Landed on Moho:

screenshot546w.png

screenshot545.png

Nice! I heard that landing on Moho is pretty hard due to the temperature.

My latest monstrosity -- the Columbus II Super Heavy Extreme-3! (or "Suicide", as the Kerbals call it)

2TGAy.png

If this doesn't get me back into Eve's atmosphere, I'm not sure what will.

And at 500 parts, this is really the limit of my system, as it drops me down to ~10 FPS.

Edited by untitled

Having spent the last 8 hours glued to KSP, finally managed to land on Eve - with enough fuel left to make it back up to 14.5Km! Sadly this is still way short of even getting into orbit, but oh well I feel this could've gone worse :')

Pics below;

The Deltron v6.7 (150,000L, very laggy)

wSiwz.png

Interplanetary stage (5000L service module + 10000L lander)

NmqXX.png

Touchdown!

TEKpd.png

Attempted Ascent

lZ8rY.png

Maximum Altitude (14,502m)

WXagS.png

P.S. has anyone done better than 14,502m getting off the surface of Eve?

Having spent the last 8 hours glued to KSP, finally managed to land on Eve - with enough fuel left to make it back up to 14.5Km! Sadly this is still way short of even getting into orbit, but oh well I feel this could've gone worse :')

Pics below;

The Deltron v6.7 (150,000L, very laggy)

wSiwz.png

Interplanetary stage (5000L service module + 10000L lander)

NmqXX.png

Touchdown!

TEKpd.png

Attempted Ascent

lZ8rY.png

Maximum Altitude (14,502m)

WXagS.png

P.S. has anyone done better than 14,502m getting off the surface of Eve?

Launching new design in T-20 minutes! Will report back later.

Update: 400 m/s of dV off from an orbit. :(

Edited by untitled

I've been trying to get my Hurcules lander to eve for hours.

[spoiler=its too heavy :(]t992k.jpg

HOLY F***

How many parts is that?

My Eve rocket is currently just shy of orbital velocity, and it's only ~500 parts.

More importantly, how is your ship not falling apart? Mine starts falling apart instantly after 700 parts.

In addition, the game lags to about 5 FPS, my altimeter gets messed up, and the direction indicator goes wild.

Here's my (new) design - the Columbus III! (the fuel tanks at the bottom serve as a ballast to lower the CG so that the vehicle doesn't tip over)

kNx5w.png

aIb9k.png

The day they add wind/weather is going to be a very bad day for me.

Edited by untitled

It's around 1500 parts. I have a CPU running at 3.8 Ghz. All the game's setting are at the lowest possible value. My FPS here is about 0.2

It is necessary to reinforce each of the connections between load bearing tanks with about 12 struts. So the main 7x4 stack has 28 tanks and about 200 struts. The whole craft is about half struts.

Check it out ! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14567061/Hurricane%20Pectopah.craft

Edited by nhnifong

It's around 1500 parts. I have a CPU running at 3.8 Ghz. All the game's setting are at the lowest possible value. My FPS here is about 0.2

Holy...I only have an i7-3610qm with a 680m...i can't imagine what FPS i'd get with that rocket.

You must be a master with struts!

Heavy ships that fly with a very low framerate actually work just fine as long as they are rigid, well balanced and only employ vectoring engines as the control parts. You have to turn up the throttle all the way, turn on ASAS and hit the gas. Then just sit back and wait. It will look and sound like hell but it works.

More things to keep in mind: design the stages so that they each Have a TWR of about 2.0. Any less and the rocket starts to tip, and more and you smash parts.

The rocket must be well supported by release clamps on the pad, all mounted in exactly the same places (so they are more likely to all detach on the same frame) and it must be moved safely out of the way of the tower.

Heavy ships that fly with a very low framerate actually work just fine as long as they are rigid, well balanced and only employ vectoring engines as the control parts. You have to turn up the throttle all the way, turn on ASAS and hit the gas. Then just sit back and wait. It will look and sound like hell but it works.

More things to keep in mind: design the stages so that they each Have a TWR of about 2.0. Any less and the rocket starts to tip, and more and you smash parts.

The rocket must be well supported by release clamps on the pad, all mounted in exactly the same places (so they are more likely to all detach on the same frame) and it must be moved safely out of the way of the tower.

I was actually just inspired by your work and I slapped on 12 more SRBs on my first stage. I was surprised to see that it held! Now I just need to work on getting 2800 more liters of fuel onto my lander...(moar boosters?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33830[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33831[/ATTACH]

After a few failed attempts I was able to EVA onto Gilly. The trick is to land on one of the lower points. Its ridiculous just how low the gravity is though, just taking a step sends you flying for 10 meters and you jump over 300 meters high!!!

Nice! I want to try it with those parts! where can I find them?

These are the mods I used:

Lionhead Rover and Skycrane:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/12106-0-17-Lionhead-Aerospace-Inc-Rover-v4-1-New-update-13-09

ExpI Interplanetary Probes (Aeroshell):

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/6280-0-17-ExPI-Space-Stations-0-4-Interplanetary-Probes-0-1-2

Do atmospheric breathing engines work on the other planets?

I made a space plane for duna, and the engines kick in too late to be of any use. Though at this time my plane starts lagging bad once it hits, duna despite working lagless on kerbin. Not sure the issue. Note that my first lagfilled re-entry happened over a pole with it's high altitude. In the craters if I can get a smooth flight down, I think they can work well in the deep impact zones. I noticed this is where parachuting and landing drag become most noticable.

I made a space plane for duna, and the engines kick in too late to be of any use. Though at this time my plane starts lagging bad once it hits, duna despite working lagless on kerbin. Not sure the issue. Note that my first lagfilled re-entry happened over a pole with it's high altitude. In the craters if I can get a smooth flight down, I think they can work well in the deep impact zones. I noticed this is where parachuting and landing drag become most noticable.

The engines work in the lower atmosphere of anything with a lower atmosphere. For Duna, that means 3-4km max. Eve, roughly 20km or so. Unsure of other places as I haven;t been there yet.

Hi all, I did some exploring of Jool and its four moons today...

Takeoff:

lift-off.jpg

Laythe:

Laythe_approach.jpg

Laythe.jpg

Vall:

Vall_approach.jpg

Vall.jpg

Tylo:

Tylo_approach.jpg

Tylo.jpg

Bop:

Bop_approach.jpg

Bop.jpg

Jool:

Jool_approach.jpg

Jool.jpg

Bop was easily the trickiest to land, with high mountains and it seems to rotate quite quickly so I had to maintain a parabolic path to descend vertically. Tylo had quite high gravity, and Laythe is a bit tricky to line up with dry land; all of them are fun challenges.

I landed on Moho today, the planet nearest to the sun. Quite tricky to rendezvous with its eccentric orbit, and when I tried landing near a large crater on the side facing Kerbol the landing gear exploded when I reached about 3000m. I tried again and switched to a polar orbit, landing in the semi-darkness near the north pole and it was ok, so I presume it's something temperature related rather than a bug...?

Moho1.jpg

Moho2.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.