Funny/epic KSP fails

s_gamer101

Botched Duna SSTO landing attempt number 14:

0NwyHoi.jpg

An entire heavy-lift launch vehicle spontaneously exploding upon stage separation (the cause was that the engine plate shrouds were clipping into the next stage’s engines, so when I hit stage everything blew up). Many brave funds were lost that day.

pjpC1Mp.jpg

Flipped a 70 ton rover while trying to navigate Tylo’s North Pole and explosions quickly ensued 

bM1WKpe.jpg

Ground science unit getting teleported 410 meters up to the top of the Tylo cave upon activating timewarp

vyn61JQ.jpg

launching my latest mothership. nose cones help with the atmosphere, but for the long mission in space they are just dead weight. i put them on decoupler to remove when they're no longer needed.

SS8yfNs.png

unfortunately, i didn't point away from prograde enough before decoupling. the decouplers propelled the nose cones forward. then the ship started accelerating again, and soon it slammed against its discarded nose cones. it was a most spectacular explosion

taking a daredevil approach to laythe,  skimming jool's atmosphere from a polar trajectory and hitting laythe on the way out. I am optimistic, my sturdy spaceplane can resist the 5.5 km/s reentry. Spoiler alert: it couldn't

aWJYu7J.png

RnOQErB.png

KN521Xn.png

not only it could not resist reentry, it got completely disintegrated in 10 seconds.

to top it off, i later realized with the amount of fuel i spent for the manuever around jool, i couldn't have returned to laythe's orbit anyway

So, I am partaking in the Kerpollo Challenge, and I have completed all launches except for Eve and Jool.  I decided to take on Eve first, primarily because I'm a glutton for punishment.  I am fully aware that Eve's atmosphere is a thing to be feared, and that landing on the surface and making it back alive results in tales that are of legend (and, in some cases, almost entirely too tall to be believed).  But I'm starting to digress here; let's get to the actual action, shall we?

I'm in the process of aerobraking through the atmosphere, with a Pe of about 80km (maybe a little under that).  I go through the atmosphere 1 time and I collect all the science I can...except EVA report.  I think to myself that perhaps, during the next foray into the atmosphere, I should probably go EVA and collect that sweet upper atmosphere science.  "What could possibly go wrong?" I ask myself.  "If I wait until until the flaming fiery ball of death effects are over, nothing bad could possibly happen," I silently think to myself.  I warp ahead to just before I enter the atmosphere and, in a stroke of absolutely sheer brilliance, I quicksave.  Not sure why, but I felt compelled to do so because, as we all know, KSP has a habit of turning our good plans into snacks for the kraken.  I aerobrake, the fireball of death scene plays out with the trailing flaming effects finally shutting down as I start making my way back out of the atmosphere and into orbit.  I hit about 85km, the ship is sufficiently cooled down, and I click the EVA button for Bob to send him out of the capsule.  And this happens:

EKjeUn8.png

Again, hitting quicksave was that one singular moment we all get in life where we actually do what we are supposed to before we do what we aren't.  Thank goodness for that, otherwise I'd be launching from the KSC all over again.  And now I can load that quicksave and drop Bob's consciousness into a clone body, ala 6th Day.

Good times.

I put a rover in the cargo bay of my space plane(secured with a decoupler. Then I put 2(two) kerbals in the rover seats. I told them to put the seat belt on.

By the time I got to orbit one of them had somehow come loose from the seat and drifted outside the plane to a scorching re-entry. (This is what happens to loose stuff in cargo bay). The other one survived and does not want to talk about it.

I never put kerbals in the cargo bay again.

• 1 month later...

I was being a bit of an idiot where I thought I could launch a Fuji Spacecraft with the orbital module on top and the return module at the bottom (Similar to Soyuz) let me just say I did that because I was feeling too lazy to separate the fairings,  do a 180, dock and extract the orbital module stowed at the base of the second stage and proceed into orbit, If anything this arrangement with the added launch escape tower sticked on top of the orbital module proved to be extremely floppy to the point when I got to either BECO and separating the SRBs, the upper part of the spacecraft (Still in the payload fairing) bent to the point that the two modules split apart and blew off the second and first stages. Luckily I was able to separate and return and land the capsule with the crew away from the launch vehicle that was doomed to crash and blow up onto the surface of Kerbin. At least Jebediah and Valentina liked it Bill or was it Bob freaked out all the way back down. Upon landing I came to the conclusion that maybe in addition to the rocket fuel I needed to add something blue and rhombic shaped to the whole launch vehicle. :D:P

Edited by Jeb1969

Spoiler
On 8/28/2020 at 5:50 AM, qromodynmc said:

Leopard 208 right? Pretty cool and funny.

Now, Mine.
Falcon 9 malfunction

Geostationary Kraken

Skylon Kraken

128 Seperatrons

Duna Glider - Back with a vengeance

As long as the pilot's alive, it's a successful landing.

Edited by Wizard Kerbal

One of my biggest fails was on my previous save file and was the old UltraMax MegaRover's second Duna attempt.

Kerbal-Space-Program-Enhanced-Edition-20

I was in a very bad parking orbit (highly elliptical) and I wanted full control for landing, because limited probe control gives you just max throttle. So I went to the tracking station and boosted time warp to the max until I got signal. But as I was timewarping I got the Ike flyby achievement. "wat?" I told to myself and noticed that the rover went extinct. Ike sent me straight into Duna.

And now the second fail of the same program was this:Kerbal-Space-Program-Enhanced-Edition-20

Some of the rover's experiments were clipping through the skycrane decoupler (maybe through the cubic octagonal strut too) and separation went kinda bad. The rover had some reaction wheels, but the tires just worked as a trampoline and... the rover flipped.

And another funi fail was my Soyuz test flight on my current save. Now see, I forgot sohlah pahnels.

Kerbal-Space-Program-Enhanced-Edition-20

The mission had to dock with my space station but what happened was... electricity ran out fairly close to the station (100m?) and the ship went in a random spin. Luckily the RCS thrusters helped a lot and slowed the craft down to almost 0m/s relative to the station. So the kerbals went on EVA (both of them collided with some of the station's solar panels, lmao) and yeah. The craft somehow de-orbited itself.

A recent fail was my entire Hawk shuttle program. Its basically a longer version of the Phoenix. It used Terriers, then Dart, then Cheetahs and Thuds... and what I will say are bad words... Or how about no? Ill just say Dart are the worst engines.

So the first fail was the entire engines stuff and boosters and counterweights and electricity and... everything. On the first (somehow) succesfull orbital flight using the Darts had to be aborted due to... Electricity reasons. I barely even reached orbit and then aborted. Landed in the ocean. My recent flight didn't reach the KSC either.  During re-entry the controls bugged again (up became down, down was still down and the roll went wrong too) and the shuttle went in a spin. It crash landed in the desert at the same island. as the KSC. Never ever again, man...

And my favorite partial fail is this:

Note: the gravity ring was removed due to ehh... Lag reasons.

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

• 2 weeks later...

I was developing the Aurora 4 when the SRBs crashed into my fuel tank at separation, I added seperatrons and it crashed again. I decided to use mite engines in the end which burned for a very long time making th booster spin like crazy, luckily, my rocket is fast enough so the booster missed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.