Random crashes, 1.10.1

I've been getting occasional and random crashes, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Two of the mods I have haven't been officially approved for 1.10.1 yet, though anecdotal evidence from others seems to indicate that other folks are not having any problems with them; these are Kerbal Alarm Clock and Throttle Controlled Avionics; I'll be uninstalling them as a first thing to try (full mod list below), though I'm pretty sure I've seen the crash without KAC installed.

Link to player.log file. The stack trace at the end looks like it's trying to access an invalid memory location, if I read it right.

Player.log

Mod list:

mod-list.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions!

46 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Again? How are so many turning up with MiniAVC still installed?

I gather this is the culprit and I should delete it? :-)

CKAN lists ZeroMiniAVC as not compatible, just FYI (max game version 1.10.0) though I imagine it will work.

Edited by chd

2 hours ago, chd said:

I gather this is the culprit

Quite possibly. MiniAVC has thread safety issues and is known for crashing KSP >= 1.8.0. Usually it's early in loading rather than at random, but it's best to be rid of it in any case.

2 hours ago, chd said:

I imagine it will work.

It does.

As for KAC, I've been running it in 1.10.1 (GNU/Linux) for some time now, and I've not had a single crash, nor any problems with it.

Resurrecting this thread since I had another crash today, this time with TCA not installed, and no MiniAVC dlls anywhere. (There is MiniAVC-V2, but I assume that's fixed and is mostly why a V2 exists.)

This typically seems to happen when switching focus; in this case it was when I was at space center and crashed when I clicked on the VAB. I *think* the previous crashes were also when switching to one of the SC buildings, switching from a ship back to the SC, and similar. One I definitely remember was when I was in the VAB and crashed when I clicked the launch button.

1.10.1, installed mod list same as above except without TCA.

Player.log

Thanks!

Edited by chd

6 hours ago, chd said:
[D3D error was 887a0005]

I don't run Windows any more (and haven't for years), but apparently error code 887a0005 is "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED". which would point to a GPU or GPU driver crash.

Make sure you don't have any apps running that mess with the graphics stack (overlays, shader injectors etc.), reinstall GPU drivers, check power and cooling, all the usual stuff.
Other than that obvious advice, you'll probably have to wait for someone who actually runs Windows to comment. I don't really read stack traces from that OS, nor do I have a Windows machine to test on.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:21 PM, chd said:

I gather this is the culprit and I should delete it? :-)

CKAN lists ZeroMiniAVC as not compatible, just FYI (max game version 1.10.0) though I imagine it will work.

ZeroMiniAVC is fully compatible, a is STRONGLY recommended to install and leave installed.

9 hours ago, chd said:

(There is MiniAVC-V2, but I assume that's fixed and is mostly why a V2 exists

Yes, the v2 is thread safe

45 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

ZeroMiniAVC is fully compatible, a is STRONGLY recommended to install and leave installed.

Yes, I have this installed now, and it was installed in the context of my most recent crash. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.