[1.12.3+] UnKerballed Start v1.3.1 (Happy New Year! Jan 01, 2022)

theonegalen

Just started actually playing two weeks ago...did  stock for a few days and then added.....MODs. Unkerballed start is one of them, I really am enjoying learning to do the small stuff before shooting Kerbals out of cannons.....err manned missions.  A contract pack to flesh out Sounding Rockets and the very early game to help develop the Rocket Science would be great.

Hello there! I really love this mod! It's the best alternative for UBM. But I encountered a problem while using airplane plus. The propellor engines are unusable. They are too weak to even lift the plane off the ground. Any questions why that might be? (I'm using only compatible mods)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, BlazaPelikan said:

They are too weak to even lift the plane off the ground

I'm using Unkerballed Start and Airplane Plus and I am not seeing the same issues. My first plane using the Baron engine in the P0-Baron I get 55 m/s level flight and it handles very nicely.

You can download it from KerbalX and test it if you like.

https://kerbalx.com/Caerfinon/P0-Baron

8AznkAR.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  I'm glad so many people are enjoying this mod!

I planned to work on this when KSP 1.11 came out, but I caught COVID, so I didn't feel like it. I'm feeling better now, so I'll see what I can do soon(TM).

On 12/17/2020 at 6:34 AM, Vitaeus said:

Just started actually playing two weeks ago...did  stock for a few days and then added.....MODs. Unkerballed start is one of them, I really am enjoying learning to do the small stuff before shooting Kerbals out of cannons.....err manned missions.  A contract pack to flesh out Sounding Rockets and the very early game to help develop the Rocket Science would be great.

What contract packs have you been using? This hasn't been updated in a long time, but as long as Contract Configurator is up-to-date, they generally work. It has a couple of sounding rocket contracts.

Field research gives contracts to pick up survey data from various areas, which can sometimes be done with sounding rockets.

This is a good pack for sounding rockets, but it requires specifically RoverDude's sounding rocket mod.

If you want something much more detailed, this pack by @Morphisor includes almost everything flown until 1968!

On 12/19/2020 at 4:27 PM, BlazaPelikan said:

Hello there! I really love this mod! It's the best alternative for UBM. But I encountered a problem while using airplane plus. The propellor engines are unusable. They are too weak to even lift the plane off the ground. Any questions why that might be? (I'm using only compatible mods)

Thanks!

That definitely  doesn't sound like a problem with UKS. Try eliminating mods from your gamedata folder a little at a time until the problem goes away. You can also use a search engine like the Windows search function to search inside the .cfg files in your Gamedata folder to find what cfg might be changing the APP engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there

When you get around to doing some updates for this, can you consider the CKAN compatibility with KSP 1.9.1 please? Currently it can be installed for 1.8 and 1.10, but 1.9 is missing. If there are no compatibility issues with the current release of this mod and KSP 1.9.1, it would be very helpful to be able to install via CKAN.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

You can adjust the compatible KSP versions settings in CKAN: Settings - Compatible KSP versions

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that. Still it would be nice to have it set as 1.9.1 compatible if there are no problems.

Do you know if CKAN will cause grief if I enable 1.10, install UKS, then disable 1.10? Otherwise it will always want to update any mods to the 1.10 versions that might cause issues running a 1.9.1 save.

The reason 1.9.1 is important is because it's the last version of Kopernicus available on CKAN, without manually installing the "bleeding edge" release.

14 minutes ago, strudo76 said:

Still it would be nice to have it set as 1.9.1 compatible if there are no problems

Agreed. But that's actually not a CKAN issue, solely depends on what the respective mod author uploads (had a longer discussion with @HebaruSan recently about this).

14 minutes ago, strudo76 said:

Do you know if CKAN will cause grief if I enable 1.10, install <some mod> then disable 1.10?

It doesn't, save for a warning prompt :) 

I reverted back to 1.10.1, and did install/update a few mods flagged for 1.11.0 only, works fine. You just have to make sure yourself that the mod(s) in question works with 1.10.1 (or your preferred version, for the matter).

Edited by VoidSquid

1 hour ago, strudo76 said:

The reason 1.9.1 is important is because it's the last version of Kopernicus available on CKAN, without manually installing the "bleeding edge" release

Are you aware the bleeding edge version of Kopernicus is on CKAN as well...

12 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

It's probably easier to opt in to just that one incompatible mod by selecting it on the Versions tab:

I didn't know this was a thing, thanks.

15 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Agreed. But that's actually not a CKAN issue, solely depends on what the respective mod author uploads (had a longer discussion with @HebaruSan recently about this).

I wasn't suggesting it was a CKAN issue. Just that if @theonegalen  was going to do another update to this mod, he could request that 1.9.1 be added as compatible if he deems it is in fact compatible.

14 hours ago, Cruesoe said:

Are you aware the bleeding edge version of Kopernicus is on CKAN as well...

I was not, thanks for the heads up! Now I'll need to check that out and probably redo all the mod adding I did last night *sigh*

On 1/14/2021 at 9:28 PM, Sahadara said:

Any chance Far Future Technologies by Nertea will have it's parts properly situated in this pack?

1 hour ago, Cruesoe said:

Can you write a suggestion of where you think the parts should go?

AFAIK, Far Future Technologies support CTT that is base for making UKS mod. Therefore should be compatible even if it is not listed in OP. However, if you feel that some parts from FFT are at wrong places trough tech nodes, as Cruesoe said, write your opinion on it. With so many mods published for KSP it is hard to check each one, but most of mods are compatible with either, or both, CTT and stock tech tree. So, you will be able to use any part trough career, just some parts might apear too early or too late in tech tree, depending on each player opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 2:28 PM, Sahadara said:

Any chance Far Future Technologies by Nertea will have it's parts properly situated in this pack?

As @kcs123 said, it should fit just fine, thanks to Nertea being awesome and using/developing the CTT. If there are any parts that seem like they're in weird places, let me know.

I still exist. I know there are some things out of date since 1.11, ReStock has been updated, and other mods as well. I've been too busy flying DCS warbirds recently, but I plan to return to KSP "soon".  (Probably after the current Free-to-play session in DCS is over next Monday)

Hi.

I tried your mod. Made a rocket with the Stayputnik probe, but it seems I can't steer the rocket. I have no steering at all. Can't even turn the damn rocket a little bit.

I put fins, winglets, even wings. Nothing. The ship displays 0 Torque also.

My controls are working fine, because I can see the pitch and yaw input in the bottom left of the screen. But it doesn't seem to have any effect on the ship.

Is it a bug, or am I missing somehting? I'd like to test this with a reaction wheel but the part is only unlockable at Tech level 3.

I'm on KSP 1.11 and using the community tech tree + KSPIE.

9 hours ago, Factor_X said:

Hi.

I tried your mod. Made a rocket with the Stayputnik probe, but it seems I can't steer the rocket. I have no steering at all. Can't even turn the damn rocket a little bit.

I put fins, winglets, even wings. Nothing. The ship displays 0 Torque also.

My controls are working fine, because I can see the pitch and yaw input in the bottom left of the screen. But it doesn't seem to have any effect on the ship.

Is it a bug, or am I missing somehting? I'd like to test this with a reaction wheel but the part is only unlockable at Tech level 3.

I'm on KSP 1.11 and using the community tech tree + KSPIE.

Nope you can't control that first prope.

Everything is working as it should be.

Taken from the OP....

"Starting with the Stayputnik probe core, lack of control is the first challenge to overcome. "

Edited by Cruesoe

5 hours ago, Cruesoe said:

Nope you can't control that first prope.

Everything is working as it should be.

Taken from the OP....

"Starting with the Stayputnik probe core, lack of control is the first challenge to overcome. "

But.....if you can't control it, how do you get the contracts done? How do you reach a waypoint that is 40km away? How do you get anything done in the game? If you can only go up and down.

I remember in the stock KSP, you could control the probe, not much, it was difficult, but you could control it. Just enough to orient yourself in the good direction.

Here the problem is I have no steering at all. And the next probe is tech3 or tech4

1 minute ago, Factor_X said:

But.....if you can't control it, how do you get the contracts done? How do you reach a waypoint that is 40km away? How do you get anything done in the game? If you can only go up and down.

I remember in the stock KSP, you could control the probe, not much, it was difficult, but you could control it. Just enough to orient yourself in the good direction.

Here the problem is I have no steering at all. And the next probe is tech3 or tech4

Launch enough rockets to get enough science to build a plane.

Fly or Drive that plane around to get enough science to unlock a bigger rocket to send the stayputnik to space.

Unlock better wings or a booster with gimble  and on an up you go.

There is so much science you can get you'll have that next probe core in no time.

3 hours ago, Factor_X said:

Don't be afraid of "failed" flights. Put some science instruments on first rocket and transmit science before rocket crash on the ground. Put some early uncontrolable fins on angle, so the rocket will spin in flight and become more stable, capable of higher and longer flights.

Unlock RCSs. On light rocket reduce RCS thrust power, so it does not consume much propelant and oversteer your probe rocket.

It is harsh, chalanging, but doable. I played hard career mod (everything but saves/loads disabled) without any ground stations, only KSC and I reached Duna beofre I put that career game on hiatus (due to real life reasons).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.