[1.12.3+] UnKerballed Start v1.3.1 (Happy New Year! Jan 01, 2022)

theonegalen

15 hours ago, SteevStanman said:

So if I use any of the mods listed under the section where it says it has a custom config the tech tree will work? Do I have to enable these configs somewhere?

You can use even mod not listed inh OP. Most most are already compatible with stock and CTT science tree, so parts from mods will be available trough science tree.
Worst thing that could happen if you use some less popular mod or newer mod than UKS, is that some parts might become available earlier than intended or too far in science tree.

But those are rare cases, more exception than a rule. If you find such parts from some mod that are "missplaced", report it here, so it might become available in future update.

Welcome to forum, btw.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:23 AM, kcs123 said:

You can use even mod not listed inh OP. Most most are already compatible with stock and CTT science tree, so parts from mods will be available trough science tree.
Worst thing that could happen if you use some less popular mod or newer mod than UKS, is that some parts might become available earlier than intended or too far in science tree.

But those are rare cases, more exception than a rule. If you find such parts from some mod that are "missplaced", report it here, so it might become available in future update.

Welcome to forum, btw.

So I dont have to enable a config anywhere? The game just already knows to integrate those into the tech tree using the config that is already in place?

1 hour ago, SteevStanman said:

So I dont have to enable a config anywhere? The game just already knows to integrate those into the tech tree using the config that is already in place?

Yep. Part will be placed either, within stock tech tree node or in CTT tech tree node (if it is supported in mod that you want to install).  Like I said in previous post, mod that is not covered by UKS will work, only thing that might happen is that you may got some parts earlier or later in science tree. That might make game a bit unbalanced, but does not mean that your career game would be unplayable.

• 4 weeks later...

@theonegalen I started a new career save (and actually launched KSP) for the first time in a long time with your tech tree and KCT. It's the end my programs third year and they just wrapped up Kerbin 6's record breaking 12 hr flight in the Mk1 capsule. While there's a lot of activity at the cape, the Hati launchers 2.5t payload limit really has made me agonize over what NEEDS to be on a payload and what doesn't. Here's hoping the Duna/Eve flybys and moon lander probes yield some good science in the new year.

Been having an absolute blast. Thanks for keeping this mod going.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2022 at 9:57 PM, Daelkyr said:

@theonegalen I started a new career save (and actually launched KSP) for the first time in a long time with your tech tree and KCT. It's the end my programs third year and they just wrapped up Kerbin 6's record breaking 12 hr flight in the Mk1 capsule. While there's a lot of activity at the cape, the Hati launchers 2.5t payload limit really has made me agonize over what NEEDS to be on a payload and what doesn't. Here's hoping the Duna/Eve flybys and moon lander probes yield some good science in the new year.

Been having an absolute blast. Thanks for keeping this mod going.

That means a lot, thank you. I know I haven't updated it in a while, but it's good to know that the same things that inspired (and challenged) me with the first releases of the old Unmanned Before Manned tree are still inspiring others!

Edited by theonegalen

23 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

Is this compatible with far future technologies?

Since it's based on the Community Tech Tree, it should at least have everything appearing somewhere in the tree for almost every mod imaginable. However that placement may not be great - usually though that's more important early on. I'm using all of Near Future and Far Future with UKS, and though I'm not at unlocking most of that stuff, it seemed to be in the tree.

For example: If you use something like SXT, BDB or UniversalStorage 2 - I did post some ModuleManager patches which move things about a bit better, everything existed, but often they'd be too early in the tech tree or in weird places.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, TKMK said:

Wouldnt it be possible to write my own patch for it, though?

Would you just copy the  part requires stuff, put in the part and move it around?

It is possible.

Search trough this thread to find examples. Posted by me and other community members. There is not too many pages to find good example.

Disclaimer: It is possible that you might need to serach thread from previous maintainer, I can't recall properly and writting this in a rush, so can't check exact links right now.

11 hours ago, TKMK said:

Wouldnt it be possible to write my own patch for it, though?

This is my patch for OpenCockpit. I like my early flight parts at the beginning of the tree.  I run it from GameData\Caerfinon\Patches.  You could do something along these lines for what you want to move around .

Spoiler
//OpenCockpit Mod Config - by Caerfinon
//*********************** Tier 1 ***********************
//start
//*********************** Tier2 ***********************
//basicRocketry
//fabrication
//aeronautics
@PART[nesdOCtail1|nesdOCtail2]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree&OpenCockpit]:AFTER[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = aeronautics
}
//Wings 1 (flight1)
@PART[nesdOCrndSmall|nesdOCrTip|nesdOCrTip2|nesdOCrTip3|nesdOCrdr1|nesdOCrdr2|nesdOCtriSmall|nesdOCtEdge1|nesdOCtEdge2|nesdOCtEdge3|nesdOCtEdge4|nesdOCtEdge5]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree&OpenCockpit]:AFTER[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = flight1
}

@PART[nesdOCovhBig|nesdOCovhBig2|nesdOCovhSmall|nesdOCrndBig|nesdOCrndLong|nesdOCrndLong2|nesdOCsqrSmall|nesdOCtriBig]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree&OpenCockpit]:AFTER[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = flight1
}
//engineering101
@PART[nesdOCstruts]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree&OpenCockpit]:AFTER[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = engineering101
}

On 8/29/2020 at 12:12 AM, theonegalen said:

... Added configs for @Well's mods KNES, Luciole, and X-20 (thanks to @Clamp-o-Tron for PR!) ...

I've been using Knes with this tree in a career game. It feels like some Knes crew pods unlock much earlier than equivalent stock pods. It's not bad, but makes the tree feel a little less unkerballed than might be intended, and there's less balance between stock and Knes.

For example, the 1-crew 0.9375m Viking Pod plus one of the small shuttle bodies show up long before the 1-crew stock capsule or Soviet-style MH/Restock pod. I've also noticed that, comparing my unlocked Knes vs stock probes, the Knes ones are "better" such as having more SAS modes. That's fine for my intended usage where I already planned to be Knes-centric and only use stock parts if I couldn't find a way to do something with Knes.

Regardless, Unkerballed Start and Knes are fun and work well together or apart, and thanks y'all for sharing them.

• 1 month later...

i modified the support for Cryogenic Engines , to include the methalox engines and put vaccum engines in the vaccum engine tree.

Spoiler
//CryoEngines
//
//*********************** Tier 1 ***********************
//structures0
//start
//*********************** Tier2 ***********************
//basicRocketry
//structures1
//fabrication
//flight1
//aeronautics
//engineering101
//*********************** Tier 3 ***********************
//generalRocketry
//structures1p5
//basicConstruction
//earlyAviation
//stability
//survivability
//gadgets
//*********************** Tier 4 ***********************
//advRocketry
@PART[cryoengine-stromboli-1|cryoengine-hawk-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,CryoEngines]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = advRocketry
}
//customFuelTanks
//generalConstruction
//aviation
//flightControl
//reentryPods1
//enhancedSurvivability
//basicScience
//gizmos
//*********************** Tier 5 *********************** 
//propulsionSystems
//heavyRocketry
//fuelSystems
//structures2
//advConstruction
//landing
//aerodynamicSystems
//subsonicFlight
//advFlightControl
//simpleCommandModules
//reentryPods2
//recycling
//spaceExploration
//miniaturization
//electrics
//earlyHeatManagement
//*********************** Tier 6 ***********************
//precisionPropulsion
@PART[cryoengine-hecate-1|cryoengine-buzzard-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,CryoEngines]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = precisionPropulsion
}
//heavierRocketry
@PART[cryoengine-vesuvius-1|cryoengine-deinonychus-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,CryoEngines]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = heavierRocketry
}
//advFuelSystems
//structures3
//specializedConstruction
//actuators
//advLanding
//advAerodynamics
//supersonicFlight
//efficientFlightSystems
//specializedControl
//commandModules
//reentryPods3
//hydroponics
//advExploration
//precisionEngineering
//advElectrics
//heatManagementSystems
//*********************** Tier 7 ***********************
//specializedRocketry7
@PART[cryoengine-pavonis-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,CryoEngines]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = specializedRocketry7
}
//rocketry7
@PART[cryoengine-erebus-1|cryoengine-iguanodon-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,CryoEngines]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = rocketry7
}
//largeVolumeContainment
//composites
//structures4
//advMetalworks
//advActuators
//heavyLanding
//heavyAerodynamics
//highAltitudeFlight
//unmannedTech
//heavyCommandModules
//logistics
//scienceTech aka scanningTech
//electronics
//nuclearPropulsion
//nuclearPower
//largeElectrics aka highPowerElectrics
//*********************** Tier 8 ***********************
//specializedRocketry8
@PART[cryoengine-harrier-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,CryoEngines]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = specializedRocketry8
}
//veryHeavyRocketry
//highPerformanceFuelSystems
//metaMaterials
//nanolathing
//experimentalActuators
//advancedMotors
//experimentalAerodynamics
//hypersonicFlight
//specializedFlightSystems
//advUnmanned
//specializedCommandModules
//shortTermHabitation
//advScienceTech
//ionPropulsion
//improvedNuclearPropulsion
//largeNuclearPower aka improvedNuclearPower
//nuclearFuelSystems
//advHeatManagement
//specializedElectrics
//advSolarTech
//*********************** Tier 9 ***********************
//specializedRocketry9
@PART[cryoengine-tharsis-1|cryoengine-eagle-1|cryoengine-ulysses-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,CryoEngines]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = specializedRocketry9
}
//experimentalRocketry
@PART[cryoengine-fuji-1|cryoengine-allosaur-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,CryoEngines]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = experimentalRocketry
}
//specializedFuelStorage
//exoticAlloys 
//orbitalAssembly
//offworldManufacturing
//experimentalMotors
//aerospaceComposites
//aerospaceTech
//largeUnmanned
//specializedCommandCenters
//specializedLanders
//longTermHabitation
//scientificOutposts
//experimentalScience
//advIonPropulsion
//advNuclearPropulsion
//advNuclearPower aka highEnergyNuclearPower
//experimentalElectrics
//advPVMaterials
//cuttingEdgeSolarTechnology
//*********************** Tier 10 ***********************
//specializedRocketry10
@PART[cryoengine-vulture-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,CryoEngines]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = specializedRocketry10
}
//giganticRocketry
@PART[cryoengine-etna-1|cryoengine-tyrannosaur-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,CryoEngines]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
		@TechRequired = giganticRocketry
}
//exoticFuelStorage
//orbitalMegastructures
//mechatronics
//advAerospaceEngineering
//expAircraftEngines
//artificialIntelligence
//heavyCommandCenters
//heavyLanders
//advLogistics
//advOffworldMining
//longTermScienceTech
//advGriddedThrusters
//plasmaPropulsion
//expNuclearPropulsion
//fusionRockets
//fusionPower
//expNuclearPower
//specializedRadiators
//highTechElectricalSystems
//microwavePowerTransmission
//exoticSolarTech
//*********************** Tier 11 ***********************
//specializedRocketry11
//colossalRocketry
//extremeFuelStorage
//colonization
//resourceExploitation
//highEnergyScience
//expGriddedThrusters
//advEMSystems
//exoticNuclearPropulsion
//advancedFusionReactions
//exoticNuclearPower
//highPowerElectricalSystems
//*********************** Tier 12 ***********************
//advColonization
//appliedHighEnergyPhysics
//specializedPlasmaGeneration
//exoticReactions
//antimatterPower
//exoticRadiators
//experimentalElectricalSystems
//*********************** Tier 13 ***********************
//ultraHighEnergyPhysics
//exoticPlasmaPropulsion
//quantumReactions
//unifiedFieldTheory
//exoticElectricalSystems

from my understanding methalox is still supposed to have less thrust than liquid fuel engines/ less twr, so this should be balanced but it's not tested, still definitely better than nothing tho (Also the base mod isnt consistent within itself with the techtree and some engines that kinda overlap) 

UnKerballedStart/Mod Support and then CryoEngines.cfg for anybody wondering

Edited by Kerbal hunter101

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there any way to add the removed tech tree nodes (field science, automation, storage tech, specialized science tech) back into the game?

Halfway into my heavily modded career game, I've found that this mod removing Field Science and the Automation nodes makes some experiment modules in Kerbalism and rover autopilot in Mechjeb inaccessible. I tried looking through the configs but don't have enough ModuleManager competency to trust myself in figuring out how to change those experiments to use the new UKS nodes,  and I don't know what else I might find missing in the future, so I figure the easiest thing is to just restore the nodes.

I tried going into  TechTreeEdits.cfg  and commenting out these lines

-RDNode:HAS[#id[fieldScience]]{}								//merged with Scanning Tech
	-RDNode:HAS[#id[automation]]{}									//merged with Advanced Unmanned Tech 

-RDNode:HAS[#id[storageTech]]{}									//merged with Recycling
	-RDNode:HAS[#id[specializedScienceTech]]{}			//merged with Experimental Science

but it seemed to have no effect and I don't know what else to try.

Edited by kerbnub

40 minutes ago, kerbnub said:

I don't know what else to try.

Look at the patch in this post (in the hidden section)  

You could modify the parts you are interested in and place them in the tech tree node that makes sense to you. 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:13 AM, Caerfinon said:

You could modify the parts you are interested in and place them in the tech tree node that makes sense to you. 

Thank you for the reply, but the issue was that the missing things are not parts, but experiments and upgrades from Kerbalism and automation functions from MechJeb.

I eventually found that I only need fieldScience restored and figured it out. I added it back in as a 1 research point branch from Scanning Tech, which it had been merged into.

Spoiler

b2fTEsS.png

Here's the cfg if anyone else might want it.

//Adds fieldScience node back, needed either for kerbalism or MechJeb RoverAutopilot
@TechTree:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,zzzUnKerballedStart]:AFTER[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
RDNode
	{
		id = fieldScience
		title = #autoLOC_501098 //#autoLOC_501098 = Field Science
		description = #autoLOC_501099 //#autoLOC_501099 = Freedom to roam as far as curiosity will take you, or as long as batteries last.
		cost = 1
		hideEmpty = False
		nodeName = node6_fieldScience
		anyToUnlock = True
		icon = RDicon_science-field
		pos = -2600,962.5,0
		scale = 0.6

Parent
		{
			parentID = scienceTech 	//AKA ScanningTech
			lineFrom = TOP		
			lineTo = BOTTOM	
		}
	}
}

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

I have run into a small bug, where when running UnKerballed, together with Restock and Waterfall, I don't get the engine running sounds for the engines added by UnKerballed.

Here is the patch that will fix it:

@PART[UKSliquidEngineLVT05,UKSliquidEngineLVT10]:NEEDS[UnKerballedStart&Restock&Waterfall]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		%runningEffectName = fx-LVT05-running 	
	}    
}

On 2/28/2023 at 9:19 AM, rafalek said:

Hello, 

I have run into a small bug, where when running UnKerballed, together with Restock and Waterfall, I don't get the engine running sounds for the engines added by UnKerballed.

Here is the patch that will fix it:

@PART[UKSliquidEngineLVT05,UKSliquidEngineLVT10]:NEEDS[UnKerballedStart&Restock&Waterfall]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		%runningEffectName = fx-LVT05-running 	
	}    
}

So I added these to their respective .cfg files (first time actually doing that so thank you for introducing me to the code world even though I'm completely clueless haha) and I got both engines to produce sound. But another bug sprung up. Before when they had no sound the LVT05 and the LVT10 didn't produce sound AND a smoke plume but still the waterfall engine flame. After adding in this patch the sound is back but now the smoke plumes (or trail) come out the side of the engine so when I rotate the rocket with the default E and Q keys the smoke will rotate too from that 90 degree angle. Kind of entertaining with spinning it fast and making a smoke screen haha. Is there anyway you could point me to what I may need to edit to make this smoke plume/trail point straight down from the engine as intended?

4 minutes ago, Zombiefreak said:

So I added these to their respective .cfg files (first time actually doing that so thank you for introducing me to the code world even though I'm completely clueless haha) and I got both engines to produce sound. But another bug sprung up. Before when they had no sound the LVT05 and the LVT10 didn't produce sound AND a smoke plume but still the waterfall engine flame. After adding in this patch the sound is back but now the smoke plumes (or trail) come out the side of the engine so when I rotate the rocket with the default E and Q keys the smoke will rotate too from that 90 degree angle. Kind of entertaining with spinning it fast and making a smoke screen haha. Is there anyway you could point me to what I may need to edit to make this smoke plume/trail point straight down from the engine as intended?

I use these to correct the exhaust:

1. Waterfall - Restock (via CKAN)

2. Stock Waterfall Effects

I just want to say that this one mod is amazing, for me it's the perfect in-between of the normal stock tree and CTT, the stock tree has a good structure, but it slows down massively after the first couple of launches since you didn't take every single research point, and on the other side the CTT was simply too much too quickly, but it didn't feel as bad on the research part.
But this mod kind of balances out both points, since you don't get too much too quickly, yet it still keeps you going with a stable structure, and research wasn't directly non-existent, but it was easier to endure with multiple (but not too many) options of structuring your rocket.

(Note: This is solely my personal opinion and may not apply to others, so I'd say try it out for yourself and choose where to go from there.)

• 3 weeks later...

Trying this on a homebrew 3.5x+ rescale and without Making History (+ Kerbalism, FAR and a bunch of other pain-in-the-bum mods). 
It works but oh boy it's !!fun!!, almost RP-1 levels of fun. Sending core-with-antenna type satellites to LKO is a challenge, even had to resort to spin stabilized sounding rockets for a while.
Barely crawled to orbit with like 600 kg of payload (including ~1200 m\s of juice left in last stage), on a 20-ton rocket that needed to be carefully tweaked and guided to even get there, and had to rely on that LV-1 Ant engine to make it possible.
Would be nice to actually have fairings available from the start, after all every real early rocket had an aerodynamic shell. Had to "cheat" around it using decoupler fairings for payloads.
Enjoying the challenge so far.

But it's clearly not the intended way.
Start is really tough. Severe lack of payload delivery capabilities, also early airplanes could use some procedural wing magic - stock control surfaces are half a plane in size, and it's nearly impossible to make something landing-compatible with that fixed basic gear. Also have a few parts not listed in tech tree appear in editor (some stronger variants of SRB's most notably) Also science milking of KSC doesn't work, experiments only see "Kerbin shores" everywhere.  is it because of kerbalism?

On this point a question. Is there something in Making History that's supposed to help us until stock 1.25m engines? If so, what mods could fill this gap? In general what early game / small launcher mods would you recommend if any?
Also what's the use for 0.625m heat shield?

And a bugreport of sorts. There is RocketSoundEnhancement config in those engines, but they still have no sound with that mod, and abovementioned fix expectedly does nothing. I have no idea how RSE works and can't find what's wrong here. Help please?

1 hour ago, ShadowDr said:

On this point a question. Is there something in Making History that's supposed to help us until stock 1.25m engines? If so, what mods could fill this gap? In general what early game / small launcher mods would you recommend if any?
Also what's the use for 0.625m heat shield?

Taerobee is a great mod for early game sounding rockets that helps bootstrap your fledgling space program.   You get an aeroshell, a small control unit, an early parachute (put it under your science instruments, the bottom node acts as a decoupler) and a few solids/early liquid fuel engines/fuel tanks.   And while I don't want to suggest using it in a cheaty way to completely bypass tech tree limitations, I find that tweakscale used in moderation to add a step between .625m and 1.25m parts (.937m?)  can be a huge help if you really need it.  Personally on my 2.5x rescale save I didn't find it necessary, but on a 3.5x rescale it might help bridge the gap.  Using Career Evolution as my contract pack and the Strategia "local science" strategy I was able to gather up enough science to get things rolling just by landing my sounding rockets in different biomes, launching from both the launchpad and runway, and by throwing together a small rover as soon as I got rover wheels to grab some temperature and atmo pressure readings from around the KSC.

Edited by DeliriumTrigger

42 minutes ago, DeliriumTrigger said:

Taerobee is a great mod for early game sounding rockets that helps bootstrap your fledgling space program. 

This could go up in "recommended mods" here probably, looks decent.
Not for me though,  I tend to avoid such niche, narrowly specialized mods. Looking for something more general purpose, that's gonna see various uses later but just happens to become available at this stage. Just got some Ven's parts now.
This being Kerbal, can't say I "really need" more parts, am just really hesitant of building those classical moar-booster-bundles and tried to get away without them) Current launcher is weirdly similar to recent Terran 1 rocket with some strap-on solids for more kick.
As mentioned KSC science doesn't *exist* on my setup for whatever reason. So for now milked Water, Shores, Grasslands, Highlands and Mountains flying from that supersonic unlandable plane i've bolted together for plane contracts, some low in space from satellites, and a lucky Landed science from a satellite that somehow survived lithobraking.

Well guess it's Terran Heavy time then.

Edited by ShadowDr

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.