Are there new astroid sizes?

With 1.10 we got comets and supposed larger than E class asteroids. ANd i've been noticing some I and H (Gargantuan) asteroids showing up. Do the comets have a 3 letter name like AST or CMT or are they indistinguishable from regular asteroids(Besides the tail and texture) The only solar systme modifying mods i have are OPM and grannus expannsion pack

The main distinguishing factor between comets and asteroids is the orbit.

Both appear as unidentified objects. But when you track one, and see its orbit, you will instantly be able to tell if it's a comet (very eccentric orbit, coming close to the sun and then swinging out to Jool or beyond) or an asteroid (generally hugs the orbit of a planet fairly closely, sometimes has direct encounters with said planet).

Asteroids are still A-E and comets are (I think) G-I. Comets often have distinctive names like Froly-Lerdun-Arbretty rather than being Ast. ABC-123 and are either found in very elliptical orbits with really high apoapses, or else they’re hyperbolic and are escaping the solar system entirely.

• 1 year later...

I have a Class I asteroid that I discovered. After establishing an orbit to intersect I saved the game. I have reloaded that save several times docking my station with the asteroid. The mass of it has been any where fro 72k to 7.6 million tons. Such a huge range makes it next to impossible to properly build a rocket to capture it into a stable orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.