Enhanced Edition Update

St4rdust

Hey there! 

Grant here, franchise producer for KSP. I wanted to chime in with a quick update on the ESA content for console. Right now, we are tackling the last few feature additions and are looking towards a release this fall. And while I am here, I figured I would talk just a bit about our approach to updates for KSP Enhanced Edition. 

When we released Enhanced Edition in 2018, our goal was to bring the KSP experience players loved on PC to consoles. After release, our initial focus was on addressing and resolving console specific issues. Then we turned our attention to bringing over our largest updates, History and Parts Pack and Breaking Ground. Between those updates we looked at what features and parts would have the most impact for console players, and we prioritized those over mirroring the updates from PC. This allowed us to focus on improving the player experience while not being locked into the specific cadence set by PC updates. A great example of this is the addition of a console exclusive launch site on the Mun last year. Another example would be how we brought the maneuver mode from the Room to Maneuver PC update -- even though it was not technically next in line. 

After releasing the last update in June, we decided to focus on features from the PC Shared Horizons update rather than other content because working with ESA is a huge collaboration for the franchise that we want to share with you, our console players, as quickly as possible. Once we are finished with this update, we will be looking to add a variety of parts, features, and optimizations from 1.8 and 1.9. 

I hope this helps shed a little bit of light on the decisions and timing of the console update process so far. The best part about this approach is it lets us be flexible, listen to feedback, and continue to make KSP Enhanced Edition great for you. We hope you enjoy our ESA collaboration when it comes out later this year!

Happy Launchings!
Grant

3 hours ago, St4rdust said:

A great example of this is the addition of a console exclusive launch site on the Mun last year. Another example would be how we brought the maneuver mode from the Room to Maneuver PC update -- even though it was not technically next in line. 

The mun launch pad was a solution to console players begging for a way to hyper edit their giant stations out of atmosphere cause the moar boosters approach kept crashing the game. And as for the maneuver mode update you brought part of it you can call me when you finish putting the rest of the editing widget in. O and while your in there ALL THE SLIDERS NEED TYPE INPUT BOXES EVEN THE ONES IN ROBOTICS. 

I'm not a console player but it's good to see that console players aren't being completely ignored. I hope you guys enjoy the 1.10 content :D

11 hours ago, Lewie said:

wait, @St4rdust‘s name is grant? Who woulda thunk...

It's probably Grant borrowing St4rdust's account, he probably has no real reason to make his own forum account so he's temporarily using hers for this announcement. @St4rdust is the community manager, not the franchise producer.

15 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It's probably Grant borrowing St4rdust's account, he probably has no real reason to make his own forum account so he's temporarily using hers for this announcement. @St4rdust is the community manager, not the franchise producer.

Yeah, I just realized that! :) Whoops...I missed the first part if the post. My bad!

It’s really great that console will be getting this update sooner then later.  As I said before...I can feel the HYPE!!

I hope that there will be some bug fixes...after the last patch, the game became super unstable and very prone To crashing. (2-3 times an hour) I hope these issues get fixed. 

Edited by Lewie

Now the question is!? Bringing more stuff and enthusiasm to the game sounds great but will it be playable because as far as I know and as I last played like 2 months ago the game is broken is unplayable so will this console updates fix all the processing problem and make the game playable or is just more stuff for us to build and do absolutely nothing because it goes like 10fps... ps: playing on xbox one X

On 9/5/2020 at 7:33 PM, OC3AN said:

Now the question is!? Bringing more stuff and enthusiasm to the game sounds great but will it be playable because as far as I know and as I last played like 2 months ago the game is broken is unplayable so will this console updates fix all the processing problem and make the game playable or is just more stuff for us to build and do absolutely nothing because it goes like 10fps... ps: playing on xbox one X

This isn't the first time I've seen such a comment, and it always strikes me as peculiar since I play on a Xbox one S, and though the game is far from perfect, it is also far from unplayable. So I guess the question is, what kind of demand are you putting on your system?

I mean, are you watching YouTube vids of contraptions with hundreds (if not thousands) of parts and thinking "I can do that" well I'm here to tell you, you can't.

I've learnt, that a less is more attitude is advisable, I don't tend to go much over 200 parts (including launch vehicle) and that seems to do me well. 

I've currently got 2 grav station's in orbit, plus around 50 vessels around the kerbol system. I occasionally drop below 30fps (by eye) and yes, I do sometimes suffer from crashes or bugs, but very often a hard reset of the console fixes them.

As I say, I can't understand how you could be having such a bad time with a more powerful console

On 9/9/2020 at 7:05 PM, Broke dead dogg said:

This isn't the first time I've seen such a comment, and it always strikes me as peculiar since I play on a Xbox one S, and though the game is far from perfect, it is also far from unplayable. So I guess the question is, what kind of demand are you putting on your system?

I mean, are you watching YouTube vids of contraptions with hundreds (if not thousands) of parts and thinking "I can do that" well I'm here to tell you, you can't.

I've learnt, that a less is more attitude is advisable, I don't tend to go much over 200 parts (including launch vehicle) and that seems to do me well. 

I've currently got 2 grav station's in orbit, plus around 50 vessels around the kerbol system. I occasionally drop below 30fps (by eye) and yes, I do sometimes suffer from crashes or bugs, but very often a hard reset of the console fixes them.

As I say, I can't understand how you could be having such a bad time with a more powerful console

Agree to disagree... no I'm not talking about huge ssto etc... I'm saying bigger you go the game just doesn't work I have small satellites and stuff I get a mun base a minmus base as I get nearby to get more stuff science mission etc... it's impossible drops to 10fps get a proper orbital station as a finish to get the basics like science energy solar and antennas try to dock a ship it's impossible it's so laggy that I just can't couple can't so basically notting... if you do small ships like touch and go to mun and minmus stuff like that ok as soon as you start to have a little something more it just doesn't work... plus if I  wanna do a mining ship to use the mining dlc so I try to reach other planets it doesn't work to the xbox one x it just can't handle it... so is a good properly working game sorry but it's a big fat NO!!! ATTENTION not saying the game sucks generally I play this game since early release beta on steam I have the full game on pc/mac and xbox on with dlc I love it it just doesn't work on console as you become (big) and with that I'm praying ksp 2 works better on console cause I love this game and it's a shame it's not working as it should :/

I have KSP on PC and PS4. I can tell there's a difference in how reliably the game runs on different platforms.

I'm excited about any updates for PS4. I tend to suffer from crashes so saving the game frequently is a lot more important than on PC. A lot of people say: Don't build big ships, don't have many ships, don't have many saves... Well, I try. But experimenting is easier on PC. 

As for the Mun launch site, it doesn't make the game that much easier. And by the time you unlock it, you pretty much have started going interplanetary. It creates its own challenges if you try to go on a long mission. Yes, you can get away with a bit smaller ships as you don't need to fight Kerbin's gravity and atmosphere and you save a bit of delta v. You still need to launch from the Mun, transfer back to Kerbin orbit. If this makes the game more stable, then fine. 

I wish that once I design a ship in sandbox, that would be accessible from my career saves. 

I hope PS5 will make the experience even better! 

I just want them to make the game playable, I could care less about the ESA update, I just want to be able to play the game without it crashing. Yall are exicited over more bugs, glitches, and parts. FIX IT, then add more updates, Last time I played KSP, like a month ago, I quit because Props dont work. It creates drag when not in use, and the drag cannot be overcome without slapping an afterburning engine on. Also, the rotation speed of the prop engine is abysmal, It gets up to about 60RPM and thats it. Maybe some of the KSP team can shed some light on the problems and what they plan to do about them.... @Just Jim or @SQUAD or @UomoCapra or @Maxsimal answer if you dare.......

Edited by Mikenike

we gete esa update i just cant wait. im crying from joy. moar paiinjobs and i can know biukd crazier stuff

paint jobs and moere kerbal way

im typing with joy and im crying

iim just so happy

this is the best day of my life!

im so happy

i cant wait till tommarow

On 9/15/2020 at 8:00 AM, Mikenike said:

I just want them to make the game playable, I could care less about the ESA update, I just want to be able to play the game without it crashing. Yall are exicited over more bugs, glitches, and parts. FIX IT, then add more updates, Last time I played KSP, like a month ago, I quit because Props dont work. It creates drag when not in use, and the drag cannot be overcome without slapping an afterburning engine on. Also, the rotation speed of the prop engine is abysmal, It gets up to about 60RPM and thats it. Maybe some of the KSP team can shed some light on the problems and what they plan to do about them.... @Just Jim or @SQUAD or @UomoCapra or @Maxsimal answer if you dare.......

I'm sorry, I only work on the PC version, not console. But I'll pass this along.

The ESA update isn’t coming to PS4 KSP! Update file won’t come even when PS4 is at 7.55 (which is most recent update). How come! The reddit guys are getting a little angry too.

Why are the updates not the same as PC. Consoles and PC updates for KSP should be sync. I think.

Please fix this. I know wot her updates where just canceled for KSP EE

17 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I'm sorry, I only work on the PC version, not console. But I'll pass this along.

Thats fine, my job as the player is to simply let yall know, and I didnt know who was working on the code for the porting, so I tagged as many devs as I knew so that this may get fixed at some point, because it hurts to see KSP have bugs. Thanks for the answer though.

13 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

The ESA update isn’t coming to PS4 KSP! Update file won’t come even when PS4 is at 7.55 (which is most recent update). How come! The reddit guys are getting a little angry too.

Why are the updates not the same as PC. Consoles and PC updates for KSP should be sync. I think.

Please fix this. I know wot her updates where just canceled for KSP EE

No!! You are wrong. It is coming, however it takes longer because the @SQUAD devs have to pass the code and game files over to another company to port them to Xbox and PS4, so it may take 4-6 months but hey, at least we get it. Its not as simple as keeping it in sync, the other company has other priorities, and the devs have to optimize for Xbox and PS4. So chill, we'll get the new update, eventually.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:19 AM, MZ_per_X1 said:

If they designed a slightly different Kerbol system optimised for consoles. Different planets, etc. To offer similar base experience like the Mun and Minmus but different outside that? Something that is for consoles only. 

We have the Mun Launchpad, but that has been modded in on PC, sadly, other than that, there are no Xbox/PS exclusives, I dont even think there are any PC exclusives.

Spoiler

I may be wrong. But I dont think so.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

They said it would be released on Sep 16th. That was yesterday and I haven’t still gotten the Update file for it.

So what’s going on?

Sadly nothing is going on. The announcement was for the bundle edition (ksp enhanced edition plus DLCs). 

Players anticipated that that also means that there's an update.