How will consoles do multiplayer.

catloaf

Poll  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think consoles have multiplayer in some form?

• Yes
    • Probably
    • Probably not
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think console multiplayer will be different/worse than pc (besides needing to pay for multiplayer.)

• Yes (multiplayer will be the same, but the console user cannot play with a user of a different console or a pc user.)
    • No, there will be full crossplay.
    • Sort of (xb1 and pc can connect to each other, but sony will limit ps4 multiplayer.)
    • Yes, but console multiplayer will be limited (no servers, co-op only, only LAN multiplayer, only official servers.)
    • Other.

This question is pretty simple, but how will consoles behave with multiplayer? Will they be cross compatible with other consoles and pc players, will they have full multiplayer but limited to other users of the same console. Will they have limited multiplayer (for example only co-op, no servers?) 

Edited by catloaf

I obviously have no idea, but if I had to guess I'd say 1 for both.

Yes it'll have multiplayer.

Yes multiplayer (and many other aspects of the game) will be worse than on PC.

I also think it won't have dedicated servers, and will be co-op only. I believe it will not have official servers nor do I think it will be restricted to LAN play. But I feel this will be true of the PC version as well.

Edited by Superfluous J
I DO WHAT I WANT

Playstation is becoming more and more open for crossplay, so maybe

But if console editions are going to be different from pc version - like we have now with the enhanced ed (which is most likely to happen, sorry ps4, as much as I love you, you're getting old and underpowered, too much to handle a carbon copy of pc edition), then not gonna happen.

Yeah, even though consoles are cheaper, pc's have higher value, not due to hardware but because console players are always getting screwed by Sony and Microsoft. And the lack of "free" multiplayer and file management. Also, online subscriptions are so stupid, because your already paying for internet (it's be like ordering a hamburger and not getting any meat without paying extra.) I'm super glad I play on pc, and the Nintendo Switch is the first and last console I'll ever buy.

3 hours ago, catloaf said:

Also, online subscriptions are so stupid, because your already paying for internet (it's be like ordering a hamburger and not getting any meat without paying extra.) 

You have Netflix/amazonprime/Disney/spotify/whatever people use these days? Yeah, subscriptions are very stupid.

Especially when they're one of the biggest source of income (consoles are usually being sold at a loss, at least ps4), and I don't know, few bucks every month that goes with two free-as-long-as-subscription-is-active games doesn't hurt me.

So it's more like getting a hamburger for lower price than it's worth, then ordering fries to complete the meal (because you don't need them to get the hamburger) and these fries come with extra ketchup, and maybe additional piece of meat for the hamburger if you want.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

You have Netflix/amazonprime/Disney/spotify/whatever people use these days? Yeah, subscriptions are very stupid.

Especially when they're one of the biggest source of income (consoles are usually being sold at a loss, at least ps4), and I don't know, few bucks every month that goes with two free-as-long-as-subscription-is-active games doesn't hurt me.

So it's more like getting a hamburger for lower price than it's worth, then ordering fries to complete the meal (because you don't need them to get the hamburger) and these fries come with extra ketchup, and maybe additional piece of meat for the hamburger if you want.

Or you can use YouTube. The difference with online subscriptions is that you have to pay for something essential for the experience, that is free on other platforms, versus streaming services where there are free ones with adds or ones where you can buy movies and shows. Also, with the movies a lot of the money goes to the producers for royalties, but with online subscriptions the consumer already covers the cost directly. Paying for internet and buying/buying stuff in the game. And also you can eat the burger without meat and the restaurant can sell it to you, but would you not go to a different restaurant where the net cost is lower? I'm addition many games rely on multiplayer due to bad or no singleplayer to be fun (splatoon, battle royal (Minecraft survival games ripoffs,) Minecraft played in a fun way and many more.) Sony and Microsoft are charging you for the privilege to use something you've already played for, whereas other subscriptions your just buying something. 

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

False comparison here, as for those you're paying for the privilege to access a library of content that they have licensed.

For Xbox live gold you are paying for the privilege of being able to use the internet connection you already paid for with servers the developers have already paid for.

But this is OT, so let's not get too deep into this.

• 1 month later...

Well, for KSP2 to have full crossplay there would need to be a separate PC version than the one on steam (consoles can't use steam as far as I know) which would have to be coded in the same language as the console version. I think the best way to do multiplayer for KSP2 would be like this: Players with the console version can only play with others that have the console version and those who use the steam version can only play with other people that have the steam version.