Make fun of SLS

catloaf

8 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

The debate between SLS and Starship is like Star Trek vs Star Wars.

We all know who wins.

SLS?

I hate when people say Starship is better than SLS. But both have different philosophies and diffirent goals. Both exist for a different purpose.

Why doesn’t Nasa paint SLS? Orange rockets are nasty...

Since Nasa is concerned  about the extra weight of the paint, can’t they just make the fuel tanks a bit larger?

And why does the orion capsule not sit flush with the lower stage...ugh. Disgusting.

(In all seriousness, I’m very proud that America is going back to the moon...but c’mon. Sls is so tacky..

Edited by Lewie

59 minutes ago, cubinator said:

One of them costs $2 billion per launch.

True. So does alot of first things. The thing is, when you launch 1 SLS it's going to be expensive at first, then the second one launches at a lower, then the third and so on.

16 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

True. So does alot of first things. The thing is, when you launch 1 SLS it's going to be expensive at first, then the second one launches at a lower, then the third and so on.

Somehow that sounds a lot less believable for SLS than for the rocket that only has to be built one tenth of the times it flies.

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

That doesn't matter if it gets cancelled though. I'm not totally convinced that starship is he way to go to if 2024 is the goal (of course I think it will be delayed and 2028 is a more reasonable goal) starship may not be mature enough then. But what about falcon 9/heavy, crew dragon and other existing rockets. My idea is that you could use two falcon heavy's and 1 falcon 9. One falcon heavy would driver a lander to low lunar orbit (or maybe lunar transfer where the lander would use it's own engines to capture and circularize.) A second falcon heavy would carry a hydrolox transfer stage (using existing engines like rl-10.) Then a crew Dragon with a lunar rated heat shield would be launched with crew on board and dock with the hyrdrolox stage in LEO. The crew dragon hydrolox spacecraft would transfer to the moon and dock with the lander and from there it would be like Apollo. If anyone here is good at math and whatnot then could you enlighten me on the feasibility of this idea? And if it's any better than SLS.

4 hours ago, catloaf said:

That doesn't matter if it gets cancelled though. I'm not totally convinced that starship is he way to go to if 2024 is the goal (of course I think it will be delayed and 2028 is a more reasonable goal) starship may not be mature enough then. But what about falcon 9/heavy, crew dragon and other existing rockets. My idea is that you could use two falcon heavy's and 1 falcon 9. One falcon heavy would driver a lander to low lunar orbit (or maybe lunar transfer where the lander would use it's own engines to capture and circularize.) A second falcon heavy would carry a hydrolox transfer stage (using existing engines like rl-10.) Then a crew Dragon with a lunar rated heat shield would be launched with crew on board and dock with the hyrdrolox stage in LEO. The crew dragon hydrolox spacecraft would transfer to the moon and dock with the lander and from there it would be like Apollo. If anyone here is good at math and whatnot then could you enlighten me on the feasibility of this idea? And if it's any better than SLS.

You should take a look at the SLS thread in the science subfourm, it might has already been answered.

35 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Fine here is a roast (even though I support SLS.) But this one is just ridiculous 

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is ksp-meme.png

Starship.

Block 1 is sad though, a 800 million dollar rocket that has slightly more payload capacity than an expendable falcon heavy. 

Edited by catloaf
Removed gross exaggeration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.