Jump to content

Nate Simpson


fragtzack
 Share

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It's ok to want updates but when you think about it, forcing people to give more updates usually slows down how long the game can take.

And you don’t really want to tick the devs off, either....

I wonder if they’ll put in (the game) some sort of reference to how...whiny....the community has been at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Lewie said:

And you don’t really want to tick the devs off, either....

I wonder if they’ll put in (the game) some sort of reference to how...whiny....the community has been at times.

To summarize, I think the devs will release things at times when they feel pleased to do so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Official petition for a "No begging" rule to be added to the fourms.

We already have one:

2.2p Demanding or pressuring for release dates or updates from Take-Two or content creators.

 

While we understand your frustration with the delays of a highly anticipated game release, the world is dealing with the effects of this pandemic, and the company itself has gone through a bit of a shake up this year.    So let's all just relax and enjoy the process.  

Personally, I much prefer it this way.   I don't want to know everything about the game, just some teasers as to what is possible, and then let me discover all the fun things on my own.  Imagine if you were forced to read the cliff notes before you read the book?  It would ruin the experience.  

The devs will release what they can, when they can.   Pressuring them and calling them out won't make them go any faster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

We already have one:

2.2p Demanding or pressuring for release dates or updates from Take-Two or content creators.

 

While we understand your frustration with the delays of a highly anticipated game release, the world is dealing with the effects of this pandemic, and the company itself has gone through a bit of a shake up this year.    So let's all just relax and enjoy the process.  

Personally, I much prefer it this way.   I don't want to know everything about the game, just some teasers as to what is possible, and then let me discover all the fun things on my own.  Imagine if you were forced to read the cliff notes before you read the book?  It would ruin the experience.  

The devs will release what they can, when they can.   Pressuring them and calling them out won't make them go any faster. 

Ah; moderation must of updated it after someone pointed it out that it only applied to modders.

Fantastic!

And yeah; it'll come out when it comes out. Speculation is fine, theorycrafting is fine, it's really only straight begging that gets on my nerves xD. Thanks for the quick reply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

'Stuff' takes time.  If they showed whar's different/new since a month ago then it may well look about the same.

That doesn't mean they haven"t achieved anything, just that it doesn't look different enough to show anything new.

As much as I want to see/know more I would rather have occasional updates than a weekly or monthly one that shows very little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Jokes on them, I still have a vhs player

Jokes on y'all I have a VHS player and VHS tapes!

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Back on the main discussion, if the devs where to reveal anything, I hope it would be less of new planets and moons (so we can speculate on it,) and maybe tease somethings. I think it would be cool if they teased something quickly like a Black Hole or something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope we hear about the mechanics around science or career. I don't think unveiling them would be any kind of spoiler and I would like to see the communities opinion on the changes that will have been made. That, or a video with some gameplay as it is in its current state

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2020 at 6:04 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

I hope we hear about the mechanics around science or career.

These are scrubbed.  There is a new "adventure" mode where you unlock technology via milestones, and it will bear some similarities to the current science mode.

EDIT:  "adventure mode" is a working name, not final.  Here's a quote from July:

“[Colonies are] capable of producing colonists through a method that we will not describe, for everyone’s sake, after something that the player initiates called a ‘boom event’,” says lead designer Shana Markham. Throughout Kerbal’s new career mode, which the developers have nicknamed ‘adventure mode’, making discoveries and unlocking new technologies will trigger these boom events, which kick off various effects across your civilisation. In a colony’s nursery module, for example, that means making new colonists. “You know, discoveries make kerbals happy,” Markham says. 

 
 

Kerbal Space Program 2

 

Roshambo for who presses the launch button?  (Image credit: Private Division)

The goal of adventure mode is to provide a far more ambitious campaign for players to embark on, building ships powerful enough to leave the solar system. The structure will include specific missions, but creative director Nate Simpson says these will feel more “compelling” than some of the first game’s missions, which would direct you to fly to a specific latitude/ longitude and trigger a part on your ship. “Those felt grindy. We’re going out of our way to make the mission goals for adventure mode feel meaningful: real firsts that feel unique relative to every other goal in the game.”

There's little snippets and peeks of the new mode strewn through interviews with various publications, but the gist of it is that career and science modes are essentially merged, based on what I'm reading.  Nothing final has been released of course, so who knows what it will look like this time next year.

Edited by Chilkoot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

These are scrubbed.  There is a new "adventure" mode where you unlock technology via milestones, and it will bear some similarities to the current science mode.

EDIT:  "adventure mode" is a working name, not final.  Here's a quote from July:

“[Colonies are] capable of producing colonists through a method that we will not describe, for everyone’s sake, after something that the player initiates called a ‘boom event’,” says lead designer Shana Markham. Throughout Kerbal’s new career mode, which the developers have nicknamed ‘adventure mode’, making discoveries and unlocking new technologies will trigger these boom events, which kick off various effects across your civilisation. In a colony’s nursery module, for example, that means making new colonists. “You know, discoveries make kerbals happy,” Markham says. 

 
 

Kerbal Space Program 2

 

Roshambo for who presses the launch button?  (Image credit: Private Division)

The goal of adventure mode is to provide a far more ambitious campaign for players to embark on, building ships powerful enough to leave the solar system. The structure will include specific missions, but creative director Nate Simpson says these will feel more “compelling” than some of the first game’s missions, which would direct you to fly to a specific latitude/ longitude and trigger a part on your ship. “Those felt grindy. We’re going out of our way to make the mission goals for adventure mode feel meaningful: real firsts that feel unique relative to every other goal in the game.”

There's little snippets and peeks of the new mode strewn through interviews with various publications, but the gist of it is that career and science modes are essentially merged, based on what I'm reading.  Nothing final has been released of course, so who knows what it will look like this time next year.

The mechanics have not been confirmed as scrubbed, only the different modes. Earlier on adventure mode was described as being a combination of the 2.

My hopes for the unveiling of the mechanics stand

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

The mechanics have not been confirmed as scrubbed, only the different modes. Earlier on adventure mode was described as being a combination of the 2.

My hopes for the unveiling of the mechanics stand

Such a welcoming community here for people posting what they hope is useful info.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

Such a welcoming community here for people posting what they hope is useful info.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but nothing of what you posted references scrubbing the mechanics of technological advancement and receiving new parts (science) or the intention of how a campaign is intended to be played (career) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Such a welcoming community here for people posting what they hope is useful info.

I wholeheartedly agree. Assuming this is not sarcasm

(hint I know it's sarcasm. I just agree with it if it wasn't)

32 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I wonder what "both modes are about to be merged" means when science mode is basically a part of career mode. Or, to be chronologically correct, career mode grew from science mode.

I wonder that too.

What I hope they mean is a huge array of switches and sliders so we have "one mode to rule them all" where you could effectively create Science Mode, Career Mode, Sandbox, Money Only Mode, or any of thousands of variations and differences.

What I expect is 3 modes that aren't the 3 we're used to but are similar in many ways. :/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I read here, adventure mode will be career mode. But with better contracts, telling a story, instead of just popping them at random and a lot of them being grindy as heck, probably something akin of science mode + the World First contracts. Also it seems they're redoing the way science works, with science being unlocked as some milestones are reached ? Maybe it will do for something a bit better than the current science tree you can farm out of Kerbin SOI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

I wonder what "both modes are about to be merged" means when science mode is basically a part of career mode. Or, to be chronologically correct, career mode grew from science mode.

I think that basically they're gonna make a new progression mode from scratch and then name some score "science points" and another one "funds" just to link it with KSP1.

One of the perks of making a whole new game is that they're not forced to keep old placeholders as separate gamemodes because players got nostalgic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, the ‘adventure mode’ sounds pretty compelling. The more structured gameplay of career is always welcome (for me at least) while science provides some challenge to completing the tech tree. I trust the devs, seeing as they are all big fans of ksp-especially Nate Simpson-that they will do what’s best for the game. And from what we have seem and heard...it’s going to be a pretty great game! The only thing I am questioning is how re-playable will the game be? Will the missions be varied enough that it’s not the same process over and over?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...