Nate Simpson

fragtzack

12 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but nothing of what you posted references scrubbing the mechanics of technological advancement and receiving new parts (science) or the intention of how a campaign is intended to be played (career) 

OK, apologies for the snark there.  I thought that snippet would shed a bit of light on what you were asking.

My understanding from reading and watching the various interviews (too many times) is that there will no longer be separate science and career modes - which is what I meant by "scrubbed", and that all non-sandbox play will be merged into the new "Adventure mode".  Adventure mode will be have aspects of both science and career where you're assigned a goal - like a career mode contract - and are rewarded with unlocked technology and parts - or some other kind of progress - for completing that goal.   Kind of like science mode but without the same point-buy system.  The new goals (like contracts used to be) will not be as grindy or mundane as "place a satellite in a particular orbit", but will more progression-oriented, such as "perform a flyby of Mün" which may, for example, unlock some landing components and open up a goal to land on Mün, which may open up a goal to extract samples from Mün, etc.

Some goals tie together with and enable colony growth (boom events) for a certain planet or SOI, and those colonies must grow to/past a certain threshold to unlock colony features such as construction and launch facilities or, say refinement of metallic hydrogen - this was actually a specific example cited in a developer vid.

What I haven't seen anywhere is whether there will be any kind of in-game currency (though there were hints there may be from Nate a very long time ago), and whether or not we'll be doing any kind of other science grinding outside the goals.  For example, if there is never a goal to run a seismic scan on Mün, I'm not sure if there will be any benefit to doing so, or if it will even be possible.  Non-goal undertakings like that may unlock particular colony modules, but just guessing.  I've been watching specifically for this, and haven't seen anything about it yet, but would appreciate a link if anyone has more info.

The long and short of it is that it looks like the we have to throw out everything we know about tech tree progression, science mode and career mode, as they have been redesigned from the ground up to be more integrated and to encourage "progression" type play in the new adventure mode.

Edited by Chilkoot

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized why they might be not giving updates:

Think of it, every single video they have released has made some people (including me :/) have found major unintentional reveals that they might have not wanted us to know yet. Which could be a major factor of fearing to release new updates. Because what if we get some kind of unintentional reveal that gives away a lot of secrets and surprises in KSP 2.

1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Think of it, every single video they have released has made some people (including me :/) have found major unintentional reveals that they might have not wanted us to know yet. Which could be a major factor of fearing to release new updates. Because what if we get some kind of unintentional reveal that gives away a lot of secrets and surprises in KSP 2.

That would be absolutely the worst reason and it would tell me not to buy the game. I hope you're wrong, because it's hard to imagine anything worse than that in regards to the development of KSP2.

29 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

That would be absolutely the worst reason and it would tell me not to buy the game. I hope you're wrong, because it's hard to imagine anything worse than that in regards to the development of KSP2.

It's a good idea to keep all the of the goodies hidden like what every other major game does. KSP 2 is an indie game though and I still think updates are ok but I really don't want big things like possibly a black hole or antimatter engines.

your comment was... interesting to say the least...

22 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It's a good idea to keep all the of the goodies hidden like what every other major game does. KSP 2 is an indie game though and I still think updates are ok but I really don't want big things like possibly a black hole or antimatter engines.

your comment was... interesting to say the least...

...my point is, if Nate & friends published those earlier videos and screenshots without expecting every single pixel to be analyzed and scrutinized then they do not have the faintest clue of what the KSP community is. That would mean that KSP2 is being developed by people who have no clue what makes the game interesting and exciting. Expect Wingcommander-style physics, because real physics is too hard. Funny cartoons as cut scenes. Cut scenes. Weapons. Aliens to destroy before they overrun your base. Do I need to continue?

So yes, the video publications being stopped because they didn't expect subtle unmentioned elements in the background be as revealing to a horde of nerds as it turned out to be is really bad news because it's a sign of a epic misconnect between the dev-team and us. And that's why I pray that that is not the reason.

7 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

So yes, the video publications being stopped because they didn't expect subtle unmentioned elements in the background be as revealing to a horde of nerds as it turned out to be is really bad news because it's a sign of a epic misconnect between the dev-team and us. And that's why I pray that that is not the reason.

I mean, the devs communicate with the community well. I don't think that them not giving updates is a bad thing. I have seen people DM Nate and he will respond (though I am not suggesting to whoever reads this to send him DMs.) I think they expect people to analyze and that's why I think they are being holding back on updates. I think that they have put out enough the get excited.

I fully respect your views though. But I think they shouldn't release updates commonly because they don't need the hype of the community just yet, and if they do, they kinda already have, I mean, everyone is active on this subforum.

also, not that it matters, you said that twice :P 

Edited by Guest

On 9/29/2020 at 4:32 AM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Think of it, every single video they have released has made some people (including me :/) have found major unintentional reveals that they might have not wanted us to know yet.

If it wasn't for that "Nosecone Mk7" that was visible in a single frame I could even believe to that.

But that "leak" is too convenient to bee casual and accidental, especially the resources required, a KSP1 one and an outright ridiculous one (uranium on a nosecone?) and all the numbers filled with "1".

That gives us the most amount of information with the smallest amount of data possible (resources needed to build, inventory for such resources, multiple resources and the fact that those number and resources are placeholders) and since the clip is only a few frame long it's impossible that it's not made on purpose, they could have just clipped the video a few frames later and shown the VAB double craft capacity anyway.

They also called the craft "fly safe!" and that highlights the tendency of putting small Easter eggs / reveals I'm those clips.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

That was my intention. Should I have said "that it is not the reason?"

If it doesn't matter, does that mean it anti-matters?

you lost me