Too much lift at reentry.

Yes this is urgent as my custom Space Shuttle is in the reentry process while the game is paused, so I built it with a different design as the common one, I got a mastodon engine at the back with 4 thud engines with 2 jet engines at the sides, and with a wing that goes all the way from cockpit to the Mk3 to 3.75m adapter, without front canard, and the problem is when I do the 40 angle pitch up the vehicle slows down but it keeps going up, tho no thrust is being applied, what should I do now in-reenrry??

Remember, it's urgent.

Pitch up to 90 degrees. You want drag. That's how you do it. The faster you slow down, the less heating you will get. And the heating will be on your wings, and not your nose.

Edited by bewing

2 minutes ago, bewing said:

Pitch up to 90 degrees. You want drag. That's how you do it. The faster you slow down, the less heating you will get. And the heating will be on your wings, and not your nose.

Ok I did it and the thing flipped over and couldn't recover it so I did crew bailout and Bob Kerman hit his head too hard on the spinning cockpit and was killed.

SAS was useless and the TRX2 shuttle crashed into the ocean while the remaining astronauts are parachuting down.

56 minutes ago, bewing said:

That's one way to do it.  If you can't hold the craft at that AoA, then it needs more pitch authority from RCS or control surfaces that can take the heat.

Alternately, there's other re-entry profiles that may work.  In this case, to prevent overheating, the key is maintaining altitude until the craft is slower.  Use lift to keep the craft at altitude.

To refine this,  you need to test multiple re-entry profiles.  Different initial periapsis altitudes, different attitudes, etc.

If you still have the quicksave and want to retry, I'd suggest doing the opposite: point into prograde briefly, just enough to be able to do a controlled roll into an inverted position, and then pull 'up' hard (towards the ground). Use the atmosphere and your velocity to make your reentry steeper.

The goal of this is to quickly get out of the part of the atmosphere that does most of the heating during reentry, and down into the thicker part that slows you down faster *and* dissipates heat better. It's usually prolonged exposure to reentry heating that explodes craft parts, and making your trajectory shallower makes you stay longer in the layer where drag vs heat ratio is the worst. Once you're slow and cool enough, you can return to a more traditional glide path.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.