[1.10] StarLink Satellite Pack 1.1.0 | 2020.9.13

Akino

Great idea for a mod, I launch several hundred into orbits and it made my save unusable. But that is ok, I understand.  Now I have to figure out how to control all of them, putting them into right inclination and resonance to make them useful. Can do it hyperedit or Engineer Redux one by one but would like to do it with KOS. Also need to get solar  panel facing sun too... Any geniuses have any ideas.

2 hours ago, Dr. Boo said:

Great idea for a mod, I launch several hundred into orbits and it made my save unusable. But that is ok, I understand.  Now I have to figure out how to control all of them, putting them into right inclination and resonance to make them useful. Can do it hyperedit or Engineer Redux one by one but would like to do it with KOS. Also need to get solar  panel facing sun too... Any geniuses have any ideas.

Oh, that's a good question. I thought about it when I made this MOD. I think I need to wait for a genius to coming.:D

On 9/7/2020 at 9:22 PM, Atlas Gaming said:

Does it have the anti reflective coating on the bottom or will it be ruining Kerbastrian Astronomy? :)

Added some anti reflective to base part now just solar panel what you think is better https://www.dropbox.com/s/t43l0slqrhdwf27/shine2.png?dl=0

there is small error trying to work out why panel 3 has no shine

EDIT- Add anyone want to use this has scansat satellite ?

@Atlas Gaming and not sure what your problem could be on ckan  beside using ckan IMO its not really hard to install things your self and i know everyone cry it takes to long but not really but i do see some mods i unzip in my gamedata fold just fine and some are in a gamedata/gamdata fold so i then have to pull it out of that folder and put it in just ksp/gamedata so i dont have ksp/gamedata/gamedate not sure how ckan works that out or even if thats your problem 

Edited by Mecripp

On 9/6/2020 at 3:38 AM, Mecripp said:

This DDS format https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ms3iy2rh90c35l/DDS.png?dl=0

This PNG format https://www.dropbox.com/s/5uevj0tkox8xhzh/PNG.png?dl=0

Png looks like it use  103 more memory but the png is 296 less mono what is better ?

Texture files need to be DDS: DXT5 (alpha channel used by specular or metal reflectivity) or DDS: DXT1 (when alpha channel is not needed, like emissives) or DDS: DXT5_NM (for normals).

DDS files (with MipMaps, most of the time) take up more file space but the GPU doesn't need to do the extra work of converting from other formats to DDS.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Texture files need to be DDS: DXT5 (alpha channel used by specular or metal reflectivity) or DDS: DXT1 (when alpha channel is not needed, like emissives) or DDS: DXT5_NM (for normals).

DDS files (with MipMaps, most of the time) take up more file space but the GPU doesn't need to do the extra work of converting from other formats to DDS.

Yes i know KSP uses DDS but what i was trying to ask is PNG uses less memory in one area but twice has much Mono so really whats best mono not matter ?

EDIT- file size PNG 24 mb DDS 142 mb I know it doesnt matter but some might freak out

Edited by Mecripp

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 1:52 PM, Stone Blue said:

You can do that to comment out whole blocks of text, instead of '//' line by line... at least in NotePad++

In Notepad++ just highlight the block and press CTRL+K to comment out each line with '//' or SHIFT+CTRL+K to uncomment.
It's safer to have every line commented out and it's quickly done in Notepad++.

This works when the Notepad++ language file for ModuleManager is used:
(place in Notepad++ subfolder userDefineLangs)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcck95jcgpzafia/modmanager_udl.xml?dl=1

@Akino

only two of the four part configs have a TechRequired defined.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2020 at 6:53 PM, Akino said:

The next update may be on next month. If you have any ideas or questions, please feel free to share them here.

You need to add a "TechRequired = whatever level you want" line in the cfg files. Otherwise the satellites won't appear in career or science mode :wink:

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2020 at 1:50 PM, adriangm44 said:

You need to add a "TechRequired = whatever level you want" line in the cfg files. Otherwise the satellites won't appear in career or science mode :wink:

thanks for the advice, was wondering why the parts did not appear in my career save!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Downloaded this yesterday to try it out, and thought I'd share my experiences, in case it helps anyone else. My install has KSP 1.12.3, JNSQ, and I'm using Tundra's Falcon.

The biggest problem I had is that neither the L or R parts have a TechRequired tag, and therefore they don't show up in the VAB or the tech tree. The only way to get the parts instantiated is to load the craft file or do what I did, and fix the cfgs. 

The craft file is made at the "real" scale, which isn't for Tundra/JNSQ. This means that if you use the resize cfg then the craft loads wonky - with the parts spaced out for large scale, but sized down to smaller scale. I did go back and remove the resize cfg just to see the example craft file load correctly, and figure out how they're supposed to stack.

I believe this is at least partially correct, albeit incomplete:

Spoiler

Knqr2d1.png

I started with the R part, and added a L, then R, etc - with the necessary part rotations to get them into this orientation. Probably supposed to use 4 support polls, and I have only 2 here, and just a few sats for testing.

I don't really have a use for them, I just have a part mod obsession and needed to see what they're like!

I've shared a subassembly from the mount upwards, exactly as pictured above, here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1K2ZF2_fukaBA0A2gD5MsOXdctj5mw-QN?usp=sharing

The author hasn't been on the forums since June, but maybe someday they will see this Thank You for making these parts!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.