Space Bar failing to stage

A mild rant and a desperate plea for help: I've been playing in career mode for several weeks - not a great or super experienced player but enough to know that staging with the space bar is supposed to work consistently, and I'm getting REALLY tired of it not working mid-game, mid-burn, or at random points in a mission. I've not touched the key bindings for staging; I've ensured that I'm not in warp when I try to stage; there's no purple light in the lower left corner; I've ensured I've not pressed Alt-L, and even when staging fails and I try pressing Alt-L it doesn't start working. I've rebooted and started a mission fresh from the VAB, gotten into orbit no problem, set up my maneuver node, warped to the node, stopped the warp well in advance of the node, started my burn, and when it's time to stage mid-way ... nothing. I have to manually decouple, then manually activate the engine. Of course, if I'm planning to decouple during a landing or re-entry sequence, it's even more disruptive. Restarting the game from scratch, or rebooting SOMETIMES resolves it temporarily, but I shouldn't have to reboot in the middle of a game just to get staging to work. Is this just an on-going bug - I've seen it in both 1.9 and 1.10, and seen it on numerous threads elsewhere as I've tried to find a solution. What the HECK is going on? What have I missed? What else can I try to fix this? 

Edited by maddog59
spelling correction

2 hours ago, maddog59 said:

What have I missed? What else can I try to fix this? 

Sadly sometimes it happens, especially when you trying to stage fairings/decouplers, things get wonky.

My suggestion is go with Action Groups and ignore spacebar.

Its more reliable and never fails, so transfer your staging to 1,2,3  buttons etc and it will be as responsive as it can get.

And with the new cool updates you can then edit your action groups in flight so you dont want to worry about that.

Edited by Boyster

On 9/5/2020 at 10:57 AM, BadOaks said:

That sounds really frustrating. The only thing I can think of is the "insert" key. Is it possible you're pressing that? Or otherwise turning off staging mode (the staging icons go away)?

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's highly unlikely ... on my keyboard, for some reason, the Insert function requires the Fn + PrtSc keys... 

22 hours ago, Boyster said:

Sadly sometimes it happens, especially when you trying to stage fairings/decouplers, things get wonky.

My suggestion is go with Action Groups and ignore spacebar.

Its more reliable and never fails, so transfer your staging to 1,2,3  buttons etc and it will be as responsive as it can get.

And with the new cool updates you can then edit your action groups in flight so you dont want to worry about that.

Hmmm.... I'll give that some thought. Thanks for the suggestion.

At least the problem I'm seeing doesn't seem to be personal. Much obliged.

If this happens again, try clearing the input locks by pressing escape, then clicking ‘show version info’ on the bottom right corner of the pause menu- I can’t remember exactly where that option is and I don’t currently have access to KSP to check but I believe it’s in there; there’s also a mod (can’t remember the name though, sorry) that adds a button to the toolbar to clear the input locks. Input locks can sometimes mess with control inputs and if the stages look weird and you can’t change them or manoeuvre nodes are acting odd, clear input locks might fix the problem.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.