[1.11.x] Hephaistos - Stockalike ULA Vulcan - Official Stand-alone BDB Expansion

Superpenguin160

Hephaistos V1.1                                                                                     5UFs3mP.png?1

y0AjK6p.png

ylRUtFY.png

KuO3bUo.png

Hephaistos adds the ULA Vulcan rocket to KSP
This mod is a stand-alone expansion to Bluedog Design Bureau, so this mod can be used without BDB

ALBUM

CONFIGURATIONS

Features:

• S.M.A.R.T. Reuse
  • Centaur V
  • ACES

Included in the Download:

• .craft files of all Vulcan configurations
  • Simple Adjustable Fairings (Blowfish)
  • Community Resource Pack (Roverdude)
  • B9 Part Switch (Blowfish)

Recommended mods:

• Realplume (Zorg)
  • Bluedog Design Bureau (Cobaltwolf)

Downloads:

• SpaceDock
  • Curse
  • CKAN (Some dependencies are only for KSP 1.9, here is a tutorial on how to make the mod visible)

Here is a guide by @Friznit for more information on Vulcan

• @CobaltWolf For BDB and his patience of learning me how to texture
  • @Drakenex For the two additional textures and all the config and balancing work

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by Superpenguin160

My 2 cents after some quick flights:

- Included craft files are for standalone version, and do not load if BDB is present.

- Consider a MM patch that adds Vulcan-specific tags to relevant BDB parts (GEM-63XL, RL10, Atlas V retro motor) if BDB is present.

- Consider adding an internal antenna to ACES avionics\engine mount, so it would remain controllable after payload separation.

- Consider adding an extra node to ACES engine mount, for 3.125m interstages (current LDC ones and future Delta IV one).

- Consider adding a node for parafoil to 1st stage engine mount (And a node to parafoil itself).

- Speaking of tags: BE-4 and main tank both have a typo in tags - "mehalox".

- ACES RCS does not have visual FX. (Might be something on my side, though.)

Edited by biohazard15

Warning- heavy screenshots inside!!!

Spoiler

screenshot4.png
Launch from TSC 41. Pad uses Modular Launch Pads.

screenshot6.png

screenshot7.png
Pitch over quickly. Unlike Centaur V, ACES can fly a shallow trajectory due to its TWR ~1.

screenshot8.png

screenshot9.png
Booster sep was scary. I didn’t put large enough decouplers on the GEMs so they nearly collided into the engines.

screenshot10.png
Scatterer + TUFX + RealPlume + JNSQ = eyecandy

screenshot11.png

Fairing sep is a beauty. SAF really should become the standard.

screenshot13.png

ACES fires up, with a small commsat for Minmus polar orbit. I really underestimated this thing’s capabilities. It’s about twice as good as Atlas V for high energy trajectories.

screenshot15.png

Through the magic of FMRS, the engine structure deploys it’s parachute and descends.

screenshot18.png

Unfortunately, it’s a parafoil, not a parachute. I hit the water at 100 m/s.

This is very cool! One suggestion, in addition to the ones above. I would add a node under the engine mount for easy Modular Launch Pads interfacing.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron
Descriptions

1 hour ago, biohazard15 said:

My 2 cents after some quick flights:

- Included craft files are for standalone version, and do not load if BDB is present.

- Consider a MM patch that adds Vulcan-specific tags to relevant BDB parts (GEM-63XL, RL10, Atlas V retro motor) if BDB is present.

- Consider adding an internal antenna to ACES avionics\engine mount, so it would remain controllable after payload separation.

- Consider adding an extra node to ACES engine mount, for 3.125m interstages (current LDC ones and future Delta IV one).

- Consider adding a node for parafoil to 1st stage engine mount (And a node to parafoil itself).

- Speaking of tags: BE-4 and main tank both have a typo in tags - "mehalox".

- ACES RCS does not have visual FX. (Might be something on my side, though.)

Nice finds, thanks!

1- Will make BDB compatible ones.

2- Done*

3- See below **

4- Interesting, gotta find a way to disable the auto interestage and enable that node.

5- S.M.A.R.T. assembly is tricky, that could be a way, yes.

6- Fixed*

7- Oops! fixed*

* Will be up on next revision

** The ACES and Centaur V upper stages were designed to be controlled by a remote guidance unit (no BDB) or by the Centaur avionics control system.

EUGFNc6.png

9 hours ago, Drakenex said:

Nice finds, thanks!

1- Will make BDB compatible ones.

2- Done*

3- See below **

4- Interesting, gotta find a way to disable the auto interestage and enable that node.

5- S.M.A.R.T. assembly is tricky, that could be a way, yes.

6- Fixed*

7- Oops! fixed*

* Will be up on next revision

** The ACES and Centaur V upper stages were designed to be controlled by a remote guidance unit (no BDB) or by the Centaur avionics control system.

EUGFNc6.png

Where'd you get that dream chaser???

14 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

This is very cool! One suggestion, in addition to the ones above. I would add a node under the engine mount for easy Modular Launch Pads interfacing.

IIRC, these nodes are added by MLP. So you probably should ask @AlphaMensae for a compatibility patch. For Atlas V set, I guess.

2 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Where'd you get that dream chaser???

Same question :)

16 hours ago, jan Melantu said:

Oh yeah, I was hoping this would get updated. Are you planning on adding the Red, Grey, & Blue Texture or just the Orange?

The Vulcan flag is a bit hard to get it to look nice with the rest of the rocket, but it might be added in the next update for people that like to fly with that paint job.

This is a great addition to go alongside BDB, but it's a little bit confusing to assemble. Could you create a guide in the OP? And also perhaps one for the flight profile. I'm not sure at what altitude I should be dropping the ACES, or if I'm supposed to do a flyback to land near KSC.

Also, is it possible that we can get an optional config to switch the fuels to the standard Liquid/Oxidizer instead of Methalox? LH2 is fine because there's enough mods that support it (including BDB's centaur), but this is the only mod that I have that uses this fuel, and that reduces the versatility of the parts.

8 hours ago, Superpenguin160 said:

It turns out that it was already on CKAN, one of the dependencies is for KSP 1.9 only though. It works fine, but that means that you also need to enable KSP 1.9 in CKAN.

Dang, I'm on 1.8.1 JNSQ, would it be fine to just manually install it and run it on 1.8.1 or is 1.9 a hard dependency?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.