Black Holes and Neutron stars. Evidence found?

Black holes or Neutron Stars  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Black Hole? Neutron Star?

• Black Holes
    • Neutron Stars
    • Both! I love cool space destinations!
    • Neither... Eeloo is the final destination...

13 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

neutron stars though come with their own problem. The pulsars would be hard to program

If you ever got close enough to one to interact with it you'd be burned to atomic soup anyway so you wouldn't need to worry about most of it's phenomena

8 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

If you ever got close enough to one to interact with it you'd be burned to atomic soup anyway so you wouldn't need to worry about most of it's phenomena

Depends on the black hole. If it's a stellar mass black hole, yes. If it's a supermassive black hole, no.

6 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

Depends on the black hole. If it's a stellar mass black hole, yes. If it's a supermassive black hole, no.

But I expect people want a supermassive, they look cooler. It makes things easier too since it would prevent people getting close.

7 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

I was referring to neutron stars

10 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

What?

Are you talking orbital or like standing on one?

Anywhere reasonably close... tidal forces would rip you to shreds and heat would melt you long before you ever touched the surface

Since neutron stars are popular for this topic, they are made with the black hole topic. The most challenging part of neutron stars to me though is light. They are absolutely bright and even bend light to where you can see some of the back and front at the same time. That would shred a computer!

1 minute ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Since neutron stars are popular for this topic, they are made with the black hole topic. The most challenging part of neutron stars to me though is light. They are absolutely bright and even bend light to where you can see some of the back and front at the same time. That would shred a computer!

Not necessarily, have you ever used space engine? It shows this visual effect pretty easily 

Edited by mcwaffles2003

9 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Not necessarily, have you ever used space engine? It shows this visual effect pretty easily 

you don't have rockets flying nearby them though, meaning you won't need to worry about the incredibly intense heat. Also, how would you do a neutron star? Especially with their planet like surface?

Of course I'd want a black hole, why wouldn't I want one? :sticktongue:

As for if it's going to be in the game, that's up to the devs though even though it would kinda be a missed opportunity considering that KSP2 is all about interstellar travel

Same applies to Neutron stars. 

Spoiler

I want those epic screenshots, guv

21 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

you don't have rockets flying nearby them though

What difference does rockets flying by make for how light acts around a black hole?

21 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Also, how would you do a neutron star? Especially with their planet like surface?

Neutron star... Planet like surface...

You are aware that the surface of a neutron star is literally an atomic soup that is burning over 100 times hotter than the surface of the sun and any matter that approaches it not only burns, vaporizes, ionizes into plasma, but then compresses beyond electron degeneracy pressure to the point that electrons and protons combine into neutrons forming a several kilometre wide atomic nucleus with oceans of degenerate nuclear matter held apart only by the strong nuclear force without which the contents,already at the brim, would collapse to form a black hole.

Calling that "Planet like" is a bit insane.

So how would I do it? I would make the surface a plain white spherethat if you ever attempted to approach close enough to see a surface feature your craft would be annhiliated.

Edited by mcwaffles2003

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

What difference does rockets flying by make for how light acts around a black hole?

You are aware that the surface of a neutron star is literally an atomic soup that is burning over 100 times hotter than the surface of the sun and any matter that approaches it not only burns, vaporizes, ionizes into plasma, but then compresses beyond electron degeneracy pressure to the point that electrons and protons combine into neutrons forming a several kilometre wide atomic nucleus with oceans of degenerate nuclear matter held apart only by the strong nuclear force without which the contents,already at the brim, would collapse to form a black hole.

So how would I do it? I would make the surface a plain white spherethat if you ever attempted to approach close enough to see a surface feature your craft would be annhiliated.

Nuclear Pasta! NUCLEAR PASTA! the surface of a neutron star is NUCLEAR PASTA! (LOL why am I shouting :D)

They are planet like because they have an atmosphere, a surface, and a core. Which is different than from pretty much any other star. Technically, they are even thier own kind of celestial body, some kind of Planet-star-nearly-black-hole thingy

Also finally found my theorized Black Hole. I found this in the first developer trailer.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-2.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-3.png

Which I don't know but looks similar to some art of black holes I found

NASA stages 'Black Hole Friday' - CNN

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

This is why i was confused tbh, i always assumed you'd orbit well outside a radius that tidal forces could tear you to bits (Or have better materials late-game which could resist them better, CNT's or Graphene.)

18 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

They are planet like because they have an atmosphere

What?

Have we actually ever confirmed this via spectroscopy, or is this just speculation?

Plus if you're going to say "Atmosphere, surface, core" make something planet-like, well then technically plain Stars meet that definition also....

4 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Plus if you're going to say "Atmosphere, surface, core" make something planet-like, well then technically plain Stars meet that definition also....

I was referring them to having a Solid surface. Which they do, I looked at some articles back in 2009 about them. Just look it up. The surface is 1 billion times harder than steel (also look at the kurzgesagt video I showed)

Spoiler

Edited by Guest
People apparently now want me to use spoilers for videos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I was referring them to having a Solid surface. Which they do, I looked at some articles back in 2009 about them. Just look it up. The surface is 1 billion times harder than steel (also look at the kurzgesagt video I showed)

Please use Spoilers for your videos, that one filled up a quarter of a page on a 21:9 Ultrawide o.o

Secondly; iv'e seen more of Kurzgesagt's content than is likely healthy, and that includes that one. I'm aware of the "Surface" Neutron Stars have, but considering the Surface of the sun is actually far more realistically approached without losing your life i think the distinction is fairly academic.

I was mostly curious about the Atmosphere claim, because that one i don't recall them mentioning at any point. Unless you're talking about a Neutron Star taking material off of a companion star before it goes bang in a Type 1 Supernova.

1 hour ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Please use Spoilers for your videos, that one filled up a quarter of a page on a 21:9 Ultrawide o.o

Secondly; iv'e seen more of Kurzgesagt's content than is likely healthy, and that includes that one. I'm aware of the "Surface" Neutron Stars have, but considering the Surface of the sun is actually far more realistically approached without losing your life i think the distinction is fairly academic.

I was mostly curious about the Atmosphere claim, because that one i don't recall them mentioning at any point. Unless you're talking about a Neutron Star taking material off of a companion star before it goes bang in a Type 1 Supernova.

There is, but I was actually surprised for it to be smaller than I remembered

According to harvard:

"The atmosphere of a neutron star is on an even smaller scale. The researchers calculate that the carbon atmosphere is only about 4 inches thick, because it has been compressed by a surface gravity that is 100 billion times stronger than on Earth"

Here is where that information came from

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/multimedia/photo09-089.html

oh wait that's just an image :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

There is, but I was actually surprised for it to be smaller than I remembered

According to harvard:

"The atmosphere of a neutron star is on an even smaller scale. The researchers calculate that the carbon atmosphere is only about 4 inches thick, because it has been compressed by a surface gravity that is 100 billion times stronger than on Earth"

Here is where that information came from

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/multimedia/photo09-089.html

oh wait that's just an image :rolleyes:

Well, that's at least something. Thanks!

New poll! Which one do you prefer?

If anyone comes in the future:

Most of the poll results where people would be excited or on the maybe for Black Holes. And most thought it was possible and the Devs should decide what they want to do.

Time dilation.

The closer you get to a black hole, the more everything but your vessel time warps.

Alternatively, if your focus is on a separate craft from the one inside of the black hole's influence, you see the other craft move slower relative to distance.

Probably a nightmare to program...

1 minute ago, JMBuilder said:

Time dilation.

The closer you get to a black hole, the more everything but your vessel time warps.

Alternatively, if your focus is on a separate craft from the one inside of the black hole's influence, you see the other craft move slower relative to distance.

Probably a nightmare to program...

technically Time Dilation is everywhere. Where even astronauts will time travel little bit. so I don't think you would need time dilation and it wouldn't make sense anyway because you wouldn't be able to get close with all of the heat and debris and all.

On 9/6/2020 at 1:58 AM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Also how do you guys think a black hole should work?

A centimeter-sized invisible thing. Once a ship approaches, it gets suddenly crashed by Kraken.

Gives a natural feeling, and easy to implement.

Also a white dwarf is a third option.

Spoiler

White_Dwarf_Grombrindal.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid