Huh... Steam was Epic Games of the Past...

GuessingEveryDay

10 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

But turns out, everything has to do with business.

Of course it does. That's what companies are all about. That is their sole purpose. None of them are out there to give teddy bears and candy to kids, unless they can make a profit out of giving teddy bears and candy to kids.

Even the so called "nonprofit organisations" are only growing flowers and planting trees using the scraps they are left over after they cover their expenses.

On 9/6/2020 at 1:19 PM, Shpaget said:

Even the so called "nonprofit organisations" are only growing flowers and planting trees using the scraps they are left over after they cover their expenses.

I came to despise the industry after a TED Talk justifying why they spend 75% of the donation on further promotions.

Not going to watch the video, but yeah back in the early 2000's when Valve opened up their own little online store I thought it was stupid and a cash grab, and I refused to use it until about 10 years later when they suckered me in with a free download of Portal.

I still don't see the benefit - to me - for every company out there to have their own store. I understand why THEY want it. I just don't see why I'd want it. For all the garbage people give it Steam is pretty solid. It'd be hard to get me to load a 2nd such service and even harder to get me to switch.

Steam dragged me in when it became mandatory for certain games. Eventually I just got too lazy to look for physical copies. Not even sure what game I bought first, although I could check...

On 9/8/2020 at 2:21 PM, Superfluous J said:

I still don't see the benefit - to me - for every company out there to have their own store. I understand why THEY want it. I just don't see why I'd want it. For all the garbage people give it Steam is pretty solid. It'd be hard to get me to load a 2nd such service and even harder to get me to switch.

I quit World of Warships over that. I still have Origin, but they only lured me in with literally free handouts and a preexisting account over from Mass Effect on XBox.

Steam got me because that's the only way I have to play most of video games on Linux, without spending hours patching wine, using winetricks and all. Even back before Steam play, there was Steam OS (basically, Ubuntu), which made some games available for my personal setup.

Before Steam, one of the few native game I could play was Unreal Tournament (which had a native Linux install). Everything else required weird patching and setup, and I lost a lot of money on game I could never manage to play (because there was not really game rated Gold or Platinum back then). Even World of Warcraft needed some specifics to be sorted out, and had some native bugs (nothing making the game unplayable, but still).

So I basically switched to console gaming at this time. At least I knew that I could play the game I bought.

Now, I basically don't really have to worry about games working on Linux, thanks to the amazing works done on Proton then Vulkan and wine integration by Steam (ad the way they cooperate with the wine community, sharing a lot of the code, etc). And a lot of smaller studio are also developing game in multiple platform (though I suspect it's more because Unity is eating a bigger share of the market). And for the big studio games that won't run on my computer, I still have a console somewhere (which is taking a bit of dust, until the release of Cyberpunk 2077, where I'll use it again).

But yeah, Steam made gaming on Linux a bit more easier, a bit less painful and a bit less frustrating.

i was a big fan of the bargain bin back in the day. rather than spend $60 on a new tripple a game, i could grab 4 or 5 out the bin. and they were usually better than what passes for games these days. steam often has deals just as good. 

it was only a matter of time until the industry moved to online distribution which has been both a blessing and a curse. at some point you could still get boxed media, but it was usually just a steam network installer and a serial number. shortly there after i stopped putting optical drives in my computers. i still don't like the idea of games and other software being linked to an online account or dependent on centralized servers which could be taken down at a moment's notice.

9 hours ago, Nuke said:

it was only a matter of time until the industry moved to online distribution which has been both a blessing and a curse. at some point you could still get boxed media, but it was usually just a steam network installer and a serial number.

The deciding factor for me was actually that Steam games were manifold cheaper even back in the day, and the exchange rate changes have only exacerbated that advantage.

10 minutes ago, DDE said:

The deciding factor for me was actually that Steam games were manifold cheaper even back in the day, and the exchange rate changes have only exacerbated that advantage.

im just more jaded about these things. though lately more so about the declining quality of games than the distribution services. 

22 minutes ago, Nuke said:

im just more jaded about these things. though lately more so about the declining quality of games than the distribution services. 

Oh, yeah. I did make a point of numbering Call of Duty games, but then EA took it beyond the point of parody with Battlefront 2 2.

Edited by DDE

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 8:43 AM, DDE said:

Steam dragged me in when it became mandatory for certain games. Eventually I just got too lazy to look for physical copies. Not even sure what game I bought first, although I could check...

I quit World of Warships over that. I still have Origin, but they only lured me in with literally free handouts and a preexisting account over from Mass Effect on XBox.

For me, the only thing Origin has done was give me Battlefield 3 and Dead Space when I was in grade school. They had something called "on the house" or such. Other than that, Origin simply serves as a Battlefield 3/4 installer when necessary, which is a shame since these games have now been put on Steam.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.