HumanStuff (Slightly More) Realistic Spacesuits, Heads & Staff For KSP v1.8.1

Public Service Announcement:
Text labels are easier to read vs a "spinning gif" IMHO or ESP you have "color sight issues"!

Note: MY LABEL TEXT,on this image, will NOT appear on model in game (Text "on parts" WILL appear)
AKA: You CAN use this image as is.

(repost of my post from TR thread on subject)

IVA & EVA "Component location Map" with text lables (original image is 4096x4096 16m PGN file, Text/pic's in this orientation are "correct" side up, as "normal viewing")

If you take an image of this it MUST BE MIRRORED VERTICALLY IF ITS SAVED/CONVERTED TO DDS 

Components are taken from "bright" easily deconstructed images bt @GregroxMun, @Chubby_Hamster, @hemeac, @ACIsabelle (spacedock user, cant find on forums)

Some of this may need to be relabeled (I'm using this to learn).

Spoiler

Note: Largest unlabeled part is Helmet, the "top" and "1 side that will mirror to other side" (Grey) (side will mirror images/text, on "mirrored side")
Note: If something has "2 of them" on model, but only "1 in the template" it will be "mirrored" to "non-present in image counterpart in game"
 (side will mirror images/text, as above)
Crossed "grey lines" on "back of shirt" represent backpack strap location on model in game

"Hole" in "L.Arm Sleeve" represents "L.Arm patch" location
"Bar of brighter yellow on "Pant Legs" represents "side stitching" where fabric joins when "wrapped around leg") 
"Center chest medal" appears just below "zipper fob (black circle)" of "shirt collar" (which is also front top of chest, over "chest strap" part of backpack straps
"L.chest name plate" appears just above "chest strap" part of "backpack straps", on left
"Strap clips" appear on straps, 
unsure on if they are in "order", perhaps top left in pic = top left of where it goes on straps? I will check eventually
"Rank patch" appears on (as pictured) "backpack straps" over "chest strap" part of backpack straps, on right (as pictured)
"Grey Line" with slight curve and "raised center line/section" along its length appears to be part of "suit collar"

I am not sure what "black/grey circle with white dashes around circumference represents (I think its related to helmet/Visor (perhaps? directly infront/behind head? or related to "neck ring"?)
I am also not sure what the "light grey/dark grey circle with a gold "C" in center represents (
perhaps? part of boot, maybe the "top rim" where it meets pants?)

THE MAP WITH TEXT LABELS

Spoiler

KK9v9un.png

WARNING I HAVE YET TO ID 100% OF COMPONENTS! Some of this could be slightly mislabeled!

Note that the level of detail possible is truthfully STELLAR (pun)! Honestly, look at the original artists "L.chest patch" EMBROIDERED STITCHING ON SHIRT PATCH! 

Spoiler

Some detail of "depth" may be possible: dents, pocks, scratched, dirt, fur or fuzzy material AND even "bumps/ridges", as well as the "metallic reflective" & "crystalline" qualities1

1.  ^ I am unsure how to use these "features" effectively, so I dont know "how possible" it really is, maybe 0% lol

I suggest Paint.net to work with these files formats, convert between them and is well feature documented online (aka how too's), its 100% free and can handle complex tasks.

• Tutorials CAN HELP! If you dont know "how too" (they did for me) 
    I personally once tried to remove "red eye" from a photo, and have added text/"stamps" to images, thats my experience level with "art" software

For working on files in batches (for format conversions, mirroring, resizing "in bulk") I suggest XnConvert (same reasons as paint.net)

I'm totally skill-less and I can make a suit... so you can too! Read the TR readme and wiki 1st also

Edited by Guest
expanded info, more detail about map, thoughts added

Upcoming:

YAPSA
(or: Yet Another Public Service Announcement, YAPSA's will serves as the "WIKI" until I write and maintain one)

"Build A Kerbal (ummm Human)" workshop in HumanStuff mod

100% Free to use, just credit original authors of any assets under the terms of their release licences, if applicable/allowed of course

The "I used to be a roadie for Motley Crew" Full facial hair with "That 1981 Salt & Pepper" shag, from HumanStuff Face templates

White Human Male Template Preview: Combine, in order
White skin tone male face + White skin tone male, eye sockets + (optionally) White Skin Tone Male "Aging" features + Male Hair, Full Roadie in Salt & Pepper 
See preview images below: 
All Head "Part" Images shown are PNG, 1024x1024, 16M, Correct PGN orientation, with Transparent canvases for ease of construction

I will attempt to:

• "HR" (Reflections: 265x256, Faces: 1024x1024, Suits/Skybox: 4096x4096 as DDS)
  • "SR" (Reflections:128x128, Faces: 512x512, Suits/Skybox: 2048x2048 as DDS)
  • "LR" (Reflections: 64x64, Faces: 256x256, Suits/Skybox: 1024x1024 as DDS)

my whole mode pack, just in case ram and/or space, etc.. is an issue for some users. As the master is creeping up to 100mb zipped, and 700mb unzipped.

Images need cleaning and optimization before release, I'll add the 1st "ready/complete template set" (1 male/1 female) to the master now 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

White skin tone male face (pre "cleaning")

Spoiler

Y9k8w67.png

White skin tone male, eye sockets (mid "off key tone", mid alpha reduced) Lips will be similar when I get them right

Spoiler

NQH8M7r.png

Male Hair, Full Roadie in Salt & Pepper

Spoiler

0eJnK9U.png

Optional: White Skin Tone Male "Aging" features (just "off key" to normal skin tone, may need alpha reduced in 2nd pass)

Spoiler

GvZ5KnH.png

"I used to be a roadie, now I have to nuke this doomsday asteroid...cause that will 100% work"

Edited by Guest
spoilers to shorten

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

The abstract is really, really long. Normally this would be one sentence, for this mod it's 5.

help me edit it please.... seriously. Its my 1st time.....

@aazard aazard released this 4 hours ago · 1 commit to master since this release

So many path and file structure changes. But a massive improvement. I'm still rewriting all doc's but its in a usable state, I didn't want 200+ comments to master between early releases.

• 8K textures
  • mod swelled to over three times (3x) original size to about 3GB
  • Much better understanding of GitHub gained
Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

The abstract is really, really long. Normally this would be one sentence, for this mod it's 5.

Better? Sorry I'm not super organized and my mind is very "busy/scattered". I will attempt to treat this like a "professional" project lol

17 hours ago, Aazard said:

help me edit it please.... seriously. Its my 1st time.....

5 hours ago, Aazard said:

Better? Sorry I'm not super organized and my mind is very "busy/scattered". I will attempt to treat this like a "professional" project lol

Hi, I'm sorry I was so bluntly critical, you don't need to worry about being professional. :)

I was specifically looking at the "short description" on SpaceDock. If you're interested in tips, try to sum up the mod in one sentence. A reader who sees "realistic spacesuits" may be interested in that, but adding another four and a half sentences makes it look like there's a lot more to it, and things like dependencies and future plans can easily be kept to the "long description" section.

@Aazard, Had a quick look at the pack.  Looks good, you've put a lot of effort into it.  There are a couple of red flags though in terms of the texture sizes.  I would try to keep the suits down to a 2k texture size.  Switching to a 4k texture effectively quadruples the amount of memory required for each suit relative to a 2k texture and going any further to 8k quadruples it again.  As your suit pack does not have complex shading, the trade-off for the higher ram usage isn't worthwhile for the extra details in the flags.  As another comparison, most engine parts, etc. are using 2k textures.  While it is nice to have more details on the suits, there is still a lot of detail that you can get out of a 2k texture. You can always have higher resolution textures that you work on in the source files, but just downscale a copy of it to 2k for the version that goes into the GameData folder.

Edited by hemeac

21 minutes ago, hemeac said:

@Aazard, Had a quick look at the pack.  Looks good, you've put a lot of effort into it.  There are a couple of red flags though in terms of the texture sizes.  I would try to keep the suits down to a 2k texture size.  Switching to a 4k texture effectively quadruples the amount of memory required for each suit relative to a 2k texture and going any further to 8k quadruples it again.  As your suit pack does not have complex shading, the trade-off for the higher ram usage isn't worthwhile for the extra details in the flags.  As another comparison, most engine parts, etc. are using 2k textures.  While it is nice to have more details on the suits, there is still a lot of detail that you can get out of a 2k texture. You can always have higher resolution textures that you work on in the source files, but just downscale a copy of it to 2k for the version that goes into the GameData folder.

Thank you... I'D LOVE MORE ADVICE PLEASE! Heads optimal size? same for others envmaps, galaxytex and suits? What is the "max size" ideal to include as optional for ppl to use to build with and use in game? then I can "work down" from there

see add on dev thread, I made a post describing my "desires/goals" in what textures I feel are "right" for what resolutions

I also successfully generated my own "RSS correct" space engine GalaxyTex images in DXT5 BC3, Kiaser filter mipmaped 8192x8192 32BPP, 8-bit gamma integer, with 72x72 percision

Worked out to a few 100 Kb's shy of 90MB each... they are STUNNING! I am currently making the EnvMaps as we "speak"

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Aazard said:

Thank you... I'D LOVE MORE ADVICE PLEASE! Heads optimal size? same for others envmaps, galaxytex and suits? What is the "max size" ideal to include as optional for ppl to use to build with and use in game? then I can "work down" from there

see add on dev thread, I made a post describing my "desires/goals" in what textures I feel are "right" for what resolutions

I also successfully generated my own "RSS correct" space engine GalaxyTex images in DXT5 BC3, Kiaser filter mipmaped 8192x8192 32BPP, 8-bit gamma integer, with 72x72 percision

Worked out to a few 100 Kb's shy of 90MB each... they are STUNNING! I am currently making the EnvMaps as we "speak"

It seems that 1k is the typical size for heads, which would put them at a similar texture size for the volume of a kerbal's head relative to the suit.  Not sure about the other elements, you may need to check out what size the other mods that have changed those textures have used.

48 minutes ago, hemeac said:

It seems that 1k is the typical size for heads, which would put them at a similar texture size for the volume of a kerbal's head relative to the suit.  Not sure about the other elements, you may need to check out what size the other mods that have changed those textures have used.

perfect so if a default skybox is 2048, 90% chance its intended for 1080p, or FHD @ 2.074 Mpx intended, to viewing, and the "avg one" (these days) is 4096 (ummm 1440p to 1800p ideal), thats a doubling for size. The smallest true ("min true being SVGA @ H 800 V 600 R 4:3 Mpx 0.480?") is 800x600 for this version of unity i believe. and "thats equal to" between FWVGA @ H 854 V480 R 16:9 Mpx 0.41 to WSVGA @ H 1024 V 576 R 16:9 Mpx 0.59" so thats like what "max min" of, for skybox =  aprox 28.45% the Mpx or about 1152x1152 (if intended for 1024x576 viewing "max")

making 8192x8192 ideal for 8K or 7680x4320 monitors/resolution, as a SKYBOX, intended viewing??? 

or is my math off? that insane:confused:rant gives me a "range" of 1152x1152 to 8192x8192 "skybox" as ideal range, ratio other parts in line to that? 

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Aazard said:

Thank you... I'D LOVE MORE ADVICE PLEASE! Heads optimal size?

Wait you can change kerbal head shape/sizes?!?!

Oh you mean texture file sizes. I'll just go hide in the corner again.

Actually i reckon aiming for 1080p is enough.  Many gaming laptops still keep this as standard.  Not many would be playing ksp on a 8k monitor,  so if toull support only 2 the 1080 and 1440 would be fine.

47 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Actually i reckon aiming for 1080p is enough.  Many gaming laptops still keep this as standard.  Not many would be playing ksp on a 8k monitor,  so if toull support only 2 the 1080 and 1440 would be fine.

That was just in regards to the texture size of the images used for the kerbal heads.  There is a mod however that changes kerbals to my little ponies on spacedock...  

7 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Heads can be changed, ....i think.....I see a few posts with ppl talking about "uniform heads

9 hours ago, hemeac said:

That was just in regards to the texture size of the images used for the kerbal heads.  There is a mod however that changes kerbals to my little ponies on spacedock...  

2 hours ago, Aazard said:

Heads can be changed, ....i think.....I see a few posts with ppl talking about "uniform heads

I have to say that would be awesome. For my oldest kid's 4th birthday I wrote a book about him going to the moon with Val and Bill.  It rhymed and everything.  Screenshots of the trip, and his head pasted over the stand-in 3rd kerbal.  It would be awesome if there was a mod to be able to have more human like heads that I could stylise as my kids so that when they play, they can play as themselves.

I'm surprised the my little pony heads still work?   Do don't they.  That apparently is a really deep hack of the system but it goes back well before 1.0.  It was developed by a chap in Russia from memory.

Peace.

3 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I have to say that would be awesome. For my oldest kid's 4th birthday I wrote a book about him going to the moon with Val and Bill.  It rhymed and everything.  Screenshots of the trip, and his head pasted over the stand-in 3rd kerbal.  It would be awesome if there was a mod to be able to have more human like heads that I could stylise as my kids so that when they play, they can play as themselves.

I'm surprised the my little pony heads still work?   Do don't they.  That apparently is a really deep hack of the system but it goes back well before 1.0.  It was developed by a chap in Russia from memory.

Peace.

Spacedock lists it as 1.10.1 compatible, they released an update in April.  But given the interest in RSS, I am a bit surprised that no one had created a human head, even if it was still a bit cartoonish to avoid the uncanny valley.

2 hours ago, hemeac said:

Spacedock lists it as 1.10.1 compatible, they released an update in April.  But given the interest in RSS, I am a bit surprised that no one had created a human head, even if it was still a bit cartoonish to avoid the uncanny valley.

It has been asked, but only the author seems to know, and last I checked there was no way to contact them.

Minor update post from add-on thread. It relates to me producing a better than hoped version of the "easy building workshop" part of the mod

Spoiler

Well I had to do A LOT OF LEARNING, but it seems to be to the mod's benefit, I can product more than I thought I could and now I can to it with a feeling of comfort..

I managed to figure out the skybox optimization (but to a rather basic level, but it looks good). I've spent like the better part of 3 or 4 days reading and testing alot of methods and applications.

ALL for mod user benefit TOO it turns out, my suggestions for tools to use with the "component workshop" have greatly improved streamlined. 

I did not expect generating a skybox would be that much harder than a suit or head, but I had no templates to work with (I cant "draw a skybox" on a template, maybe you have the skills, I dont lol).

But I can now generate 100% fresh heads, which is ideal, all my masters looked iffy viewed in 50x50 pixel areas. But they should be super nice now!

I'll go from paint.net/Gimp to make master image and then an external encoder to dds for "max quality"!
note to users: Dont worry, Paint and Gimp can BOTH handle dxt1 to 5 "out of the box" & bc6/bc7 with FOSS plugins, and 95% of the typical stuff you need to do. No need to learn wild command line stuff if you want t make a face with "hockey puck hit" scar & a mohawk or whatever... you just paint it and "export" it, easy peasy.

Thoughts questions, mod feed back, I know the file structure was "poor", but the master should be A LOT cleaned up.

I'll push a release (v1.0.4) by the Wednesday to Friday, work schedule depending.

Sorry if my learning curve is annoying

Edited by Guest

preview, of DXT BC1 image "PositiveZ".  8mb @ 4096x4096, as a png image used to upload to gallery:

still working on turning dds compression to reduce "wash" at rifts dark core transitioning to a bright area

Spoiler

nkBL49a.jpg

same image as 16mb BC7:

Spoiler

MjfuoCI.png

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

We all started somewhere and you are forgiven. Keep up the good work!

Ive learned more on this in 2 days than I did in any certification course I've done over and over for work lol

ummm feed back on images? like how to kill that "wash" esp on dxt1?

I can load the 16K images in game, slightly 1.1% (like 0.1% real, 1% wishful thinking) better than the 10K or 12K skyboxes do.

The big jusps are 4K > 5K and 5K > 6K... I dont really see huge improvements in skybox look on my screen at 8K to 16K, but BC6h (if it was going to be HDR) and BC7 are by far best (by best I mean "cleanest" in color/light quality), DXT5 & DXT1 appear identical. 

Edited by Guest

Dammit Jim, I'm a priest, not a graphic digital artist... my stuff is done in a picture of MS paint and paint.net.  Oh, and i use the old MS Office Picture Viewer from around 10 years ago.

But the in game view too washed oout.  Need to make it pop.  Don't forget the poor sods that upload  to youtube and the downgrading of quality that they get.

I'm aim for the happy medium kinda guy on sizes of textures.  My laptop, whilst 16GB RAM was bought six years ago.  It was good then and still copes with most stuff.  But I don't like to push it.  TBH I'd pick and mix what you offer in the download - when I install EVE for example, I remove any city lights. Kerbin as Eden-esk garden is closer to my head canon.

Peace.

50 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Dammit Jim, I'm a priest, not a graphic digital artist... my stuff is done in a picture of MS paint and paint.net.  Oh, and i use the old MS Office Picture Viewer from around 10 years ago.

But the in game view too washed oout.  Need to make it pop.  Don't forget the poor sods that upload  to youtube and the downgrading of quality that they get.

I'm aim for the happy medium kinda guy on sizes of textures.  My laptop, whilst 16GB RAM was bought six years ago.  It was good then and still copes with most stuff.  But I don't like to push it.  TBH I'd pick and mix what you offer in the download - when I install EVE for example, I remove any city lights. Kerbin as Eden-esk garden is closer to my head canon.

Peace.

I have "distant object" skybox brightness at (75/100) to make it easy to see, let me drop it to default (25/100) and post a pic of that.

I'm hoping to make "mix and match" of sizes/files easy if you know how (nice labels) and a word doc (txt) if not.

I am currently commenting all the cfg's incase someone that shouldnt finds there way into them. nice "brief to the point" english notes commented out.

I'm including as much as possible as optionals, I want to cater to all user levels and hardware needs

when the pack is closer to orginized I'll be "zipping" some of the extras folders to be kind to the internet (bandwidth use)

Edited by Guest