another one

ok so i know im asking a lot of questions but im new and i want to know more about this game lol, so the question is how do i use RCS thrusters on a kerbal, because sometimes i cant get back on my ship and i cant put my experiments back in the ship, i also sometimes float away in space and cant get back on my ship. so i was wondering because i have seen people use RCS on kerbals so how do i do that?

The hotkey is the same as on a spacecraft: press R. You will be able to see on the navball that the RCS icon will light up. The Kerbal also visibly grabs hold of their jetpack handles.

Be patient and gentle with your inputs. Brief taps of the keys. If you hold them down, you will accelerate fairly quickly. And then when you're not sure what buttons to press to stop, you can end up flying away from your ship and get stranded in orbit.

And keep in mind that when you reorient the camera, the Kerbal will reorient itself to face in the camera's new direction the next time you press any button. This catches people off guard a lot when they try to learn the controls.

Edited by Streetwind

24 minutes ago, yeyehboi said:

thanks, but when i press R while in EVA, the RCS doesn't light up. do you know the cause of this? @Streetwind

The only thing I can think of is that you rebound the key to something else.

Or maybe you have a non-English keyboard? I don't know if that's valid as I don't know how key bindings work in the game for other keyboards.

9 minutes ago, yeyehboi said:

hm, maybe is it because there is a hight limit to use it?

Sometimes it doesnt work for me either and i have to press it a second or even a third time, i think it has something to do with inputs getting locked for a moment, no idea whats with that...maybe...not sure.

3 hours ago, yeyehboi said:

ok so i know im asking a lot of questions but im new and i want to know more about this game lol

Don't worry. There is always someone willing to help around there, just take some time sometimes. Also we may escape in some tangent sometimes.

But if you want to look for answer yourself, there is also a bunch of tutorial in this forum and  other parts of the internet (just keep in mind that KSP is around for quite a while and some old guides may not reflect the actual stated of the game anymore)

As for why RCS didn't work for you in some previous atempt... You don't know and neither we do, there is a bunch of possibilities (mentioned in the previous post) but it's not likely we pinpoint what actually happened without the details you seem to not remember anymore . No worries,  if it happens again I suggest to check things in this order:

1. Still holding the ladder/hatch?- space to let if go.
  2. Pressed the correct key?- Press R again.
  3. Input locked? -open debug menu ([MOD]+F12 *), in the 'Input Locks' tab click 'Clear Imput locks'
  4. Random glitch? - F5(quicksave) and F9(quickload)
  5. well, we will be still there to try to help you. 

*[MOD] key varies with Operational System, Alt for window. And sometimes a different program may also use it and is changed to something else in KSP

6 hours ago, yeyehboi said:

ok so i know im asking a lot of questions but im new and i want to know more about this game lol, so the question is how do i use RCS thrusters on a kerbal, because sometimes i cant get back on my ship and i cant put my experiments back in the ship, i also sometimes float away in space and cant get back on my ship. so i was wondering because i have seen people use RCS on kerbals so how do i do that?

when i started this game i did the same. unfortunately, there's no other way to learn.

the first times i was using the jetpacks, i didn't knew i could go up and down with shift and ctrl. mentioning it in case you also missed it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.