DEFINITIONS of phrases in game

StephenMZ

I've been trying to build and fly rockets to orbit and to the Mun for some time, with only minimal success.  I have wondered if part of my problem is not understanding terms, or knowing whether to answer yes or no to some or all of these choices:

1) Same Vessel Interaction

2) Autostrut Disabled

3) Rigid Attachment

4) Remove from Symmetry

5) Flow Priority

I have tried to find explanations or definitions for them in the training portion of the game, and I think that I understand the last two, but I'm not sure if I should ignore these choices.  I have done the first four training scenarios somewhat well. I can get into orbit

39 minutes ago, StephenMZ said:

1) Same Vessel Interaction

By default, parts of a ship won't bump into each other, but will just clip through each other. This is to keep your ships from exploding if you clip things on purpose, and to save processing time on collision checks. Sometimes though you WANT parts of the ship to interact with other parts. Multi-docking for example uses this..

2) Autostrut Disabled

Autostrut puts an invisible strut between parts. Disabling it on that part (which is the default for most parts) turns that off.

3) Rigid Attachment

Literally what it says. It makes attachments between parts more rigid.

4) Remove from Symmetry

Think of the Falcon Heavy, with its two side boosters. In the game they would have been put on the rocket with Symmetry. Let's say instead though you put them on one by one.

"Remove from Symmetry" would make the ones you put on with symmetry, behave as if you put them on one by one.

5) Flow Priority

This is a bigger topic than most of these, but in short when an engine runs it pulls fuel from whatever tank it can reach that has the highest fuel flow priority. If multiple tanks have the same priority, then those tanks empty at the same time.

This is one if the biggest barriers in KSP, for new players espicially, IMHO...

There is a serious lack of documentation and explanations for a lot of the stuff on there.  The KSPedia is a great resource, but it really needs expanding a lot to cover things like advanced tweakables and game settings etc.  

On 9/13/2020 at 1:34 AM, Superfluous J said:

By default, parts of a ship won't bump into each other, but will just clip through each other. This is to keep your ships from exploding if you clip things on purpose, and to save processing time on collision checks. Sometimes though you WANT parts of the ship to interact with other parts. Multi-docking for example uses this..

And what is multi-docking? I would assume it's docking a craft with multiple docking ports to another also with multiple, but this has been possible for a long time before the toggle existed.

Edited by Rocket Witch

7 hours ago, Rocket Witch said:

And what is multi-docking? I would assume it's docking a craft with multiple docking ports to another also with multiple, but this has been possible for a long time before the toggle existed.

You got it.

And it was possible before, but even with perfect alignment it could be finicky. now with perfect alignment and Same Vessel Interaction, it's... well it can still be finicky but it's much easier. More importantly, though, if you had docking ports on robotic arms it was SUPER easy to clip them into each other as you moved them around. At least in my experience, this would disable the two ports checking each other for docking. SVI stops that problem by stopping the clipping in the first place.

On 9/16/2020 at 6:46 AM, pandaman said:

This is one if the biggest barriers in KSP, for new players espicially, IMHO...

There is a serious lack of documentation and explanations for a lot of the stuff on there.  The KSPedia is a great resource, but it really needs expanding a lot to cover things like advanced tweakables and game settings etc.  

been playing for almost two years and just found out that you have to hold alt before you place a docking port in a cargo bay so it locks it in

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.