Sign in to follow this  
Spacescifi

Improve the Tricorder...

Recommended Posts

The Star Trek tricorder is OK, but like many things in scifi it can be improved by making it more practical using common sense and modern tech.

Here is how I would improve it:

1. Shape it like a gun, make it bigger too. Point and scan. Have a detachable smart phone part one can take off to look at the data after scanning. The scanning would be point and scan, but configuration of the scan and the scan radius will be done beforehand with the detachable smart phone device which you then reattach to the scan gun to configure it.

2. Assuming you needed a miltary tricorder scan gun to give real-time data, you could wear smart glasses that show the scanned data on your glasses as you scan,  and you could even program the scanning via your eyeball movement,  blinks, and voice as desired.

What are your ideas?

Edited by Spacescifi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't get why its as ubiquitous in scifi as it is. its not just star trek, portable scanning devices are all over scifi. however our sensor tech is booming right now. even the lowly smart phone is packed with sensors. our technology can see far beyond the visible spectrum, see heat, see sound waves, see magnetic fields, detect motion, orientation, position, distance, detect and identify ambient gasses, identify materials and so on. usually all with small, often single chip solutions. some people have even made a go at making actual tricorders with this stuff. yet they are far from ubiquitous. it just seems to be that the mk1 eyeball and other human senses are more than adequate for most jobs. if you need one you need not look any farther than your smart phone. the future is now.

but i think about it and a clunky device that occupies one of your hands, requiring its user to stare at a screen, is probably not what you would see in the more distant future. i see either perhaps some kind of ar device, or even cybernetic or biotech implants that have these scanning technologies that connect directly to the brain. 

Edited by Nuke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

But only if it keeps making that cool whistling sound every time you use it

 

It does. If rotate it fast by the fourth, power cord.

Edited by kerbiloid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A smart phone connected to google (presumably really just the starships' servers, but in Star Trek they *could* access datacenters half a galaxy away).  The whole point is to get the plot going as fast as possible and to deliver said information quickly to the crew and audience.

See also "as you know, Bob".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A secretary with a smart phone connected to the google.

Does the StarTrek captain use the device himself or asks orders to do that his deputies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've sort of had this idea based off the tricorder from star trek, that something similar to the tricorder would be used not just a scanner but would be used as identification, tracking, insignia, even a short range weapon.

Anyways, on topic, I think it's main improvement needs to be that it needs to have a more user friendly user interface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, wumpus said:

A smart phone connected to google (presumably really just the starships' servers, but in Star Trek they *could* access datacenters half a galaxy away).  The whole point is to get the plot going as fast as possible and to deliver said information quickly to the crew and audience.

See also "as you know, Bob".

i think their computers would be such that they could just keep a local copy of the what is effectively the federation's internet and keep it synced over subspace as time/distance permits. of course the problem with that is you can always store more data. why store megapixels when you can store gigapixels. why use 30 hz video when you can use 30 khz. the other problem is that subspace communication is complete handwavium, with standard light speed methods you simply wouldn't have the bandwidth to keep things synchronized across the solar system, let alone between stars. you might still be able to keep a copy with you when you launch on some high density long term storage, but we generate way too much data to catch all the updates. 

Edited by Nuke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As anyway "99%" of the internet data is a randomly generated by bloggers white noise and cat pictures, they can just generate their own private offline internet right inside the head implant.

Just a neural network should be trained to generate what the user wants.

And a Perfect Cat Emulator.

Edited by kerbiloid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

As anyway "99%" of the internet data is a randomly generated by bloggers white noise and cat pictures, they can just generate their own private offline internet right inside the head implant.

Just a neural network should be trained to generate what the user wants.

And a Perfect Cat Emulator.

but cat pictures are important! you will probably want to take real cats with you anyway, as any colony is initially going to need to be very agrarian, and cats are excellent at managing farm pests (assuming they are biologically compatible and its not a death slug situation and you dont give them full portions of kibble).

Edited by Nuke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nuke said:

but cat pictures are important! you will probably want to take real cats with you anyway, as any colony is initially going to need to be very agrarian, and cats are excellent at managing farm pests (assuming they are biologically compatible and its not a death slug situation and you dont give them full portions of kibble).

I'm afraid that cats evolving on the planets with very different gravity, will be so different, that most of the colonists will anyway have to emulate a proper, terrestrial virtual cat in their brain implant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

I'm afraid that cats evolving on the planets with very different gravity, will be so different, that most of the colonists will anyway have to emulate a proper, terrestrial virtual cat in their brain implant.

cats on a lunar colony certainly would be able to catch quite a bit of air. for heavier gravity, bring cats with stockier builds like maine coons or norwegian forest cats. cats already come stock with oversized legs in relation to body size over most animals. 

Edited by Nuke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 sensors I would find very useful to be part of my day-to-day tricorder:

- Laser tape measure 

- infrared thermometer 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2020 at 5:06 AM, Nuke said:

cats on a lunar colony certainly would be able to catch quite a bit of air. for heavier gravity, bring cats with stockier builds like maine coons or norwegian forest cats. cats already come stock with oversized legs in relation to body size over most animals. 

Birds in an Moon city would need to adapt to ballistic cats :) probably respond by flying higher, its not like fight is very tiresome on the moon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this